Well I think he had to learn the hard way

lwalker270
Lady in Waiting
Lady in Waiting

Unread post

I'm all about natural consequences, but I would get him seen sooner than later just to make sure it's just a cavity and not anything worse. Tooth pain is miserable.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:05 am
Mom knows best wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:52 am What is his diet? Cavities can occur if there is also a lot of sugar intake, soda or juice consumption. It didn’t happen over night and it took a long time for it to get to the point of hurting. Does he have 6 month check ups? They can be caught when the cavities are small, when there is no pain associated with them. There’s more to this story than what you are telling us. Blaming your child doesn’t look.

How bad is the pain? If he has an abscess, that’s not good either. Call the doctor’s emergency line and get that child seen 1st thing in the morning so that he is not in school hurting.
I don't buy pop and limit all that stuff. His dentist said once a year which he usually goes right before school starts. I don't even think he's in 24-7 pain. He was complaining when we were out shopping yesterday but hasn't since.
Dentist appts need to be twice a year.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

MC08 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:11 am
Fullxbusymom wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 11:20 pm So you watch them and make sure they actually do it and then check their teeth afterwards?
MC08 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:46 pm I’m going to be the odd man out here and say that this is your fault. My kids may not brush their teeth properly in the morning all the time, but at night they have two minute timers and I’m making sure they’re flossing
I go upstairs with them and pop in and out of their bathroom while I’m brushing my own teeth. It’s not that hard.....
He is 9yrs old not 4 or 5yrs old here. No need to have to do that.
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

talkingheads wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:47 pm You can take excellent care of your teeth and still get cavities. It could very well be genetic
My oldest has very good dental hygiene and has cavities in two teeth. Those teeth came in without enamel. There isn't much that can be done.
Spookly
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

oooh, tell him about the fun pain you get when you drink a sip of water at room temp and it sends a F***ing wave of pain through your mouth. That's what point I'm at with one of mine.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

There are lots of reasons why kids can get cavities and you don't know that's the cause of the pain yet, which is why the child should see a dentist as soon as possible. I understand your frustration, but pain shouldn't be used as a punishment, there are other ways to get him to brush at his age.
Danesmommy1
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:37 am My boy tried that. I started standing in the bathroom with him to make sure he did it. He hated that and stopped lying about it....he doesn't know but I still check.
DS tried it too, but my response was to brush them for him. He was mortified his mommy had to brush his teeth for him at 8yo and decided to do it properly. I told him if he wants to act like a baby, he'll be treated like one.
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.
Reedusstalker

Unread post

Bookdragon1 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:04 am
Reedusstalker wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 6:37 am My boy tried that. I started standing in the bathroom with him to make sure he did it. He hated that and stopped lying about it....he doesn't know but I still check.
DS tried it too, but my response was to brush them for him. He was mortified his mommy had to brush his teeth for him at 8yo and decided to do it properly. I told him if he wants to act like a baby, he'll be treated like one.
Amazing how that works, isnt it lol

What are you doing today?
Danesmommy1
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:06 am
Bookdragon1 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:04 am
Amazing how that works, isnt it lol

What are you doing today?
DH is at work and DS's BFF has been here since Friday so I was planning on just being frazzled, lol. BFF's family saved my day though, they're taking DS, BFF and his brothers and sisters fishing. 🎊🎉👐 I'm going to enjoy some silence and maybe take a nap, lol!!
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.
noitsmebecky
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My ex has terrible dental hygiene. I use him to scare my kids into brushing their teeth all the time.

“Do you want your teeth to fall out like Dad?”
“Nevertheless, she persisted.”
Locked Previous topicNext topic