What do you think of a woman proposing to a man?

Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:28 pm What do you think of a woman proposing to a man?
When women were though of as objects, marriage was more like a sale made by the woman's father to the groom (or, often, to the groom's father). Having the man propose was part of the dance, because it was an acknowledgement that the man was receiving goods that were desired - that had value on the open market. What the woman received was irrelevant because the woman didn't receive anything, really - it was her family who gained alliances, etc. Under those circumstances, if the woman proposed, she was 'throwing herself' at the man, cheapening herself - lacking self-regard.

Thankfully those days are (mostly) over, in the West. Sure, the man get bragging rights - he can tell his buddies the story of how he was so fabulous that "she proposed to him!". But if he's the sort of jerk who'd use it as an excuse to claim "I never actually said I love you", then he's the wrong man anyway.

So, hell yeah, go for it. Do it in style, complete with riding in on a horse or abseiling down from a helicopter, if you think you can pull it off.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

It screams desperate. And any man I have ever dated would not have appreciated this type of thing. It's embarrassing. Real men still like to be traditional.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I think it happens all the time. Sometimes in an explicit way, as you did with a romantic gesture of getting rings, and sometimes in a less direct way of the gal letting the guy know it is time to marry or move on.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:42 am It screams desperate. And any man I have ever dated would not have appreciated this type of thing. It's embarrassing. Real men still like to be traditional.
Leather wearing biker neanderthals don't count lol.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I think it is pretty normal, or at least it was prior to social media.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

I never understood waiting for a man. My hubby did propose to me but if i felt like doing it i would have. My bros ex wife proposed to him. Me and her planned it. It was fun.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:15 am
Anonymous 4 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:42 am It screams desperate. And any man I have ever dated would not have appreciated this type of thing. It's embarrassing. Real men still like to be traditional.
Leather wearing biker neanderthals don't count lol.
I have never went out with a leather wearing biker. Not my type lol.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I have no issues with it. I am all for “traditional” roles and it works for me, but whatever works for you is just as fine. Just as I have no issues with stay at home dads. It’s what works for each of us that counts. There’s no one right way to do it.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 7

Unread post

I wouldn't want a man that didn't propose himself.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Op were you watching Yellowstone?
Locked Previous topicNext topic