It has gotten bigger. I don't feel good at all.

Kookookrazy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I posted about this months ago about my son having a swollen mass on his neck turns out it was his lymph node. Well we tried medication to bring it down didn't work he had an ultrasound , than he had a cat scan a few weeks ago the cat scan wasn't good at all... They said besides the lymph node that's sticking out there are several more on both sides that are swollen they just aren't sticking out of his skin like the big one is . My heart dropped. He has a biopsy for the day after Thanksgiving and the appointment for the results is on the 17th of December.

After i picked him up from school today I was joking around him and pretended to choke him and first time in several weeks i felt his neck and his lump is HUGE it shocked me.It feels so so much bigger. My heart sank immediately. I'm a ball of nerves. I didn't realize how much bigger it has gotten.I feel like I will collapse if they tell me he has cancer I don't even want to go into the doctor appointment in person I want them to tell me over the phone so I can process any bad news i don't want to break down in front of my son or these doctors. If i break down he's going to think he's dying i don't want to scare him. I really don't want to get the news in person.

Please tell me this could be the result of something totally not serious.I was hoping it was something minor but its bigger and it's not going away.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Could be thyroid nodules. Symptom of an over or under acting thyroid.

Best wishes.
Kookookrazy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

KendallsMom wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:11 am Could be thyroid nodules. Symptom of an over or under acting thyroid.

Best wishes.
I just googled it and that's not where the lump is located itd much higher than where the thyroid is . Thank you for your wishes.I am just going to pray.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I've personally had nodes that seemed like they got fairly large before they shrank, but I would say they lasted not even 3 weeks or so. Mine were in my armpits. I would be panicking too though.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Look, I understand your fear, but you must grow up and mom up. Put your big girl panties on and act like it.
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Firstly while I can’t imagine dealing with this in a child you have to remember this is about HIM. You MUST be steady for HIM. If you go off the rails wailing and worried he will not be able to face what ever is next.

Life is uncertain, that is the only guarantee. Also, it’s been longer than a month that you originally posted about this-so the swelling seems slow growing. If the doctors were very concerned they wouldn’t wait weeks for biopsy’s and scans. This I speak on from personal experience-my endocrinologist discovered a 5cm swelling of my R thyroid. I had a biopsy the next day and an ultrasound within 3. It is benign and just needs followed yearly with ultrasound. So
Be worried but do not allow it to take over your life.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

According to Mt Sinai the causes can range from an ear infection to tonsillitis to maybe cancer. But I’d think if it was cancer your kid would be weak, have night sweats, weight loss, etc. If he’s acting normal with no other symptoms then at worse it’s very slow growing with a good prognosis. I understand it’s scary but cancer also isn’t a certain death sentence. And yes you can’t freak out in front of him. Repeat: it’s not a sure thing, get the tests done.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Best wishes. I can’t imagine how scary this is for a mother.

But you have to remain strong for your DS.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I honestly can’t say if this is serious or not. I’m not a doctor nor do I know all the details. I do know several people including children who have been diagnosed with cancer by a swollen lymph node (myself being one of them), though. So prepare yourself for that possibility. Breakdown now if you need to, so you have time to prepare and steel yourself beforehand.

How is he doing? How is he handling all this?

As someone who has been through this as a teen, it’s ok to cry and be scared in front of your children. It’s not ok to be so overwhelmed that you can’t tend to your son’s needs. Also, you won’t be the first person to cry in front of a doctor. Bring questions and a notebook, and if you have a friend, bring them as well for support and extra ears.
Kookookrazy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:12 am I honestly can’t say if this is serious or not. I’m not a doctor nor do I know all the details. I do know several people including children who have been diagnosed with cancer by a swollen lymph node (myself being one of them), though. So prepare yourself for that possibility. Breakdown now if you need to, so you have time to prepare and steel yourself beforehand.

How is he doing? How is he handling all this?

As someone who has been through this as a teen, it’s ok to cry and be scared in front of your children. It’s not ok to be so overwhelmed that you can’t tend to your son’s needs. Also, you won’t be the first person to cry in front of a doctor. Bring questions and a notebook, and if you have a friend, bring them as well for support and extra ears.

You had this? Are you okay today? I'm worried about everything at the same time i could barely sleep last night. I need to be able to function but I'm petrified.I would much rather it was me that was going thru an illness than him. He hates needles and he had to get several for the IV they couldn't find his veins and i felt terrible for him . He doesn't deserve this .

He is doing okay physically he doesn't have any other symptoms... Mentally he is doing better than me He tells me he is afraid every once in awhile but for the most part he is strong . Her will follow my lead if I'm scared he will be scared but if I'm strong he will be strong I noticed that at the last visit I just have to keep myself together its so hard though.
Locked Previous topicNext topic