How do you do dishes? Water?

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I add a few inches of hot water in a basin that we have for the sink. If it’s going into the dishwasher we just rinse with water and then load into the washer. That’s usually one of the kids responsibilities. If it’s not going into the dishwasher I put hot soapy water in one side for washing and cool clean water in the basin for rinsing. The water, that doesn’t have soap, in the basin gets dumped out on the plants. I didn’t grow up with a dishwasher so it’s new to me.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

Right now, we don't have a functioning dishwasher as we will need a complete plumbing overhaul in the kitchen sink to have one.

So we hand wash our dishes, cleaning the food off (unless it's things that can be used as compost for our gardens), and wash/rinse.

Residual water from that is used in our front yard for our desert plants.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I give a good rinse and wipe before I throw into the dishwasher.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:53 pm I add a few inches of hot water in a basin that we have for the sink. If it’s going into the dishwasher we just rinse with water and then load into the washer. That’s usually one of the kids responsibilities. If it’s not going into the dishwasher I put hot soapy water in one side for washing and cool clean water in the basin for rinsing. The water, that doesn’t have soap, in the basin gets dumped out on the plants. I didn’t grow up with a dishwasher so it’s new to me.
I just leave the water going and scrub the basin till clean then set till side and keep going.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I’m not a fan of dishwashers. I have one and never ever use it. I just wash by hand. I’ll rinse before soap, wash with soap with the water off, and then rinse again.
I’ll have the pans soak but not with a whole sink of water, just enough to fill the pan.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Vegaswife2011 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:46 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:53 pm I add a few inches of hot water in a basin that we have for the sink. If it’s going into the dishwasher we just rinse with water and then load into the washer. That’s usually one of the kids responsibilities. If it’s not going into the dishwasher I put hot soapy water in one side for washing and cool clean water in the basin for rinsing. The water, that doesn’t have soap, in the basin gets dumped out on the plants. I didn’t grow up with a dishwasher so it’s new to me.
I just leave the water going and scrub the basin till clean then set till side and keep going.
The whole point of the basin is to not leave the water running. We do it to conserve water.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:29 pm I live in a state that is drying out, so I have been trying to conserve water. (Not like that will help, but I'm trying to learn get by with less.) For years I washed dishes by hand b/c I lived without a dishwasher. Now I have one, but I practically have to wash the dishes myself before I put them in. They have to be completely rinsed. This seems to use a lot of water.

I don't let dishes "soak" anymore, I fill a spray bottle with water and a little soap and I spritz the dishes a few minutes before rinsing. This helps a lot, but once they are soaped and rinsed, do they even need to go through the washer? The dishes seem pretty clean by the time they hit the rack. Another few seconds of soap and rinse and they'd be done. Is it even worth it to run the machine?

How do you do dishes? Do you think about how much water it uses? Any tips?
If you’re looking to save water you should skip the dishwasher. Or if you prefer dishwasher just wipe of food remains from the dishes with a wet rag only and then put them in dishwasher
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:45 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:29 pm I live in a state that is drying out, so I have been trying to conserve water. (Not like that will help, but I'm trying to learn get by with less.) For years I washed dishes by hand b/c I lived without a dishwasher. Now I have one, but I practically have to wash the dishes myself before I put them in. They have to be completely rinsed. This seems to use a lot of water.

I don't let dishes "soak" anymore, I fill a spray bottle with water and a little soap and I spritz the dishes a few minutes before rinsing. This helps a lot, but once they are soaped and rinsed, do they even need to go through the washer? The dishes seem pretty clean by the time they hit the rack. Another few seconds of soap and rinse and they'd be done. Is it even worth it to run the machine?

If you’re looking to save water you should skip the dishwasher. Or if you prefer dishwasher just wipe of food remains from the dishes with a wet rag only and then put them in dishwasher
Dishwashers, especially newer efficient ones, generally use less water than hand washing.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:48 pm
Lemons wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:45 pm

Dishwashers, especially newer efficient ones, generally use less water than hand washing.
Then. that sounds like a good choice. I think the newer ones allow you to skip the pre-washing too.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Dishwasher.
Locked Previous topicNext topic