Do you have people like this

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Do you have people/family/friends that you only talk to or see once a year? Part of me feels like what's the point of seeing them at Christmas when there is no communication all year long but then on the other hand, I think it's better than nothing at all and it can be nice to catch up once a year. What about you?
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I think most families have something like this. Families grow and expand, kids move away and start their own families or follow job opportunities. That's why families started having reunions so everyone could get together can catch up with those now distant relatives. I think it is more rare now for a family to stay where they grew up all their lives.

Increased distance tends to lead to decreased communication. As now instead of being able to get together more often or catch up when you "run into them" a more dedicated effort it required to communicate.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I feel it's much easier to communicate now like on social media and texting (rarely ever phone calls anymore) but for me, communication is less than ever. But like I said, to catch up once a year in person or chatting somehow seems better than nothing.
Baconqueen13 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:25 pm I think most families have something like this. Families grow and expand, kids move away and start their own families or follow job opportunities. That's why families started having reunions so everyone could get together can catch up with those now distant relatives. I think it is more rare now for a family to stay where they grew up all their lives.

Increased distance tends to lead to decreased communication. As now instead of being able to get together more often or catch up when you "run into them" a more dedicated effort it required to communicate.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yes, I have a family member that lives 30 mins away and I only see him once or twice a year( usually Thanksgiving).
I also have family members I only see at funerals.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Oh yes! Forgot about the family that we only see at funerals!
Inmybizz wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:42 pm Yes, I have a family member that lives 30 mins away and I only see him once or twice a year( usually Thanksgiving).
I also have family members I only see at funerals.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My siblings that live out of the state I don’t even see once a year. My sibling that lives in the same state I only see a couple times a year, between his work schedule, school, and traveling the opportunities of getting together are rare. The few family I only see at the holidays, frankly, they are the ones that my holidays would be more pleasant if I didn’t have to see them.
lauren08
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yes, we have some extended family we only see once a year. Honestly, it makes me glad that holidays give us an opportunity to see each other.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well, yes. I do have plenty of family that I don’t have much contact with, but that’s why I love to see them at special occasions.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Deleted User 2088

Unread post

Yep. My best friend lives about an hour from me and she rarely goes anywhere. We see each other maybe 3-4 times a year. I am really close with some of my parent's friends whom I only see once or twice a year. I guess now that my dad has passed, I will see some of them less often. Sad. I also only see my father in law once a year or so, but my husband sees him more often.

I wish I could see all of them more often but with the fall out from covid, working and raising families, and retired folks who travel a lot, I guess it's just too hard.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yes - and it seems very normal to me. Most of our family and close friends live states away. My sister comes to us once a year for a couple weeks, and then we go to her once a year for a week. We may talk a little bit here and there throughout the year as needed, but not regularly. But I still enjoy spending time with her and would never think of giving up those visits.
DH's siblings don't come to us so far. We go to them once a year. We almost never talk the rest of the year but we still enjoy seeing each other once a year.
Friends we see once or twice a year. We may talk on and off throughout the year. Just depends on what's going on.
We also have a lot of extended family (ie. aunts, uncles, cousins) that we are lucky if we see them every year. We often go 2 - 3 years in between visits and we generally don't communicate between visits. But we still have a great time when we do see them.

I would be very sad if visits with any of these people stopped completely. The thought of "what's the point" has never occurred to me.
Locked Previous topicNext topic