How many pets are too many? (hurricane related)

Anonymous 8

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:28 pm
Anonymous 8 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:24 pm I have a lot of pets. We live in a place without any real natural disasters except for blizzards in the winter which is why we have a generator and a back up generator. Evacuating would never be the option. You sound both ignorant and dumb.
Who is "you both?" And we are talking about evacuations for a hurricane not a blizzard. Now who is the dumb one lol.
Lol you just proved my point. Thank you for the laugh. You are the dumb one clearly. You said having today many pets is not responsible, that's ignorant AND stupid.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’ve never lived anywhere that evacuation is a regular possibility so I really don’t know what’s involved in it. In general I’d say have as many pets as you can comfortably take care of both financially and attention wise. I don’t think there’s any set limit.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:29 pm
highlandmum wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:22 am
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:28 am Is the carrier/crate requirement because they are evacuating to a shelter? I have carriers for my cats but not for my two large dogs. I couldn't get two large dog crates into my car!
We do not have crates for our dogs either. Like you we have two very large dogs (100lbs each). It would be impossible to put any crate of that size into my car, and my DH would only be able to fit one if we had any.
My first thought was why don't they just load the pets in the car without carriers. Just googled and Florida emergency shelters do not accept pets but some private shelters do as long as pet is in a carrier. I would be scrambling to locate two giant "carriers" and a trailer to move them!
Or load up the dogs in the car and put the folded kennel in the trunk. The only kennel we have that won’t fit in my trunk folded but will fit in bed of dh’s truck is the extra large ones that we use as their “dens”. Those suckers put together come up to my waist and I’m 5’6”. Dd(22) has laid in one with her German Shepard when fireworks are really bad.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:50 pm
highlandmum wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:22 am

We do not have crates for our dogs either. Like you we have two very large dogs (100lbs each). It would be impossible to put any crate of that size into my car, and my DH would only be able to fit one if we had any.
My first thought was why don't they just load the pets in the car without carriers. Just googled and Florida emergency shelters do not accept pets but some private shelters do as long as pet is in a carrier. I would be scrambling to locate two giant "carriers" and a trailer to move them!
Or load up the dogs in the car and put the folded kennel in the trunk. The only kennel we have that won’t fit in my trunk folded but will fit in bed of dh’s truck is the extra large ones that we use as their “dens”. Those suckers put together come up to my waist and I’m 5’6”. Dd(22) has laid in one with her German Shepard when fireworks are really bad.
Yup. Just as an aside, we transported our Golden (with a mix of Standard Poodle) to Africa and he had to be in cargo in an "approved" carrier - solid sides so a crate wouldn't do. We had to have one custom made as the largest carrier wouldn't accommodate him because he's so leggy and his head touched the top. We ended up renting a trailer to haul the carrier, pooch in the backseat, to the airport. It was a $7000 fiasco but got our dog to Africa and he's home now in US looking at me with those puppy dog eyes.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:32 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:28 pm
Anonymous 8 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:24 pm I have a lot of pets. We live in a place without any real natural disasters except for blizzards in the winter which is why we have a generator and a back up generator. Evacuating would never be the option. You sound both ignorant and dumb.
Who is "you both?" And we are talking about evacuations for a hurricane not a blizzard. Now who is the dumb one lol.
Lol you just proved my point. Thank you for the laugh. You are the dumb one clearly. You said having today many pets is not responsible, that's ignorant AND stupid.
Having more pets than you can care for is irresponsible. If you live in an area prone to evacuation that includes having an evacuation plan. I guess you can't comprehend that since you've never lived it.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:32 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:26 pm Having a farm wouldn't keep multiple pets and safer in the event of a natural disaster. And having multiple pets is not at all why these people live in rvs and trailers.

It kinda is. No apartments rent to people with 6 dogs and 2 cats. And the nicer homes in FL are usually in an HOA that have rules that you can't have over a certain number of pets. And they limit the types of pets too.
Not true.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:39 am
Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:26 pm Having a farm wouldn't keep multiple pets and safer in the event of a natural disaster. And having multiple pets is not at all why these people live in rvs and trailers.

It kinda is. No apartments rent to people with 6 dogs and 2 cats. And the nicer homes in FL are usually in an HOA that have rules that you can't have over a certain number of pets. And they limit the types of pets too.
Not true.
I agree it is not true. I have heard about people in apartments with a whole bunch of dogs and cats. Also we have a very good friend who moved down to Tampa, the house they purchased is a stunning home on the bay. The one thing his wife demanded that the did not have a HOA.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

SO’s BIL’s son is shitting bricks right now in Tampa because he has 3 gigantic dogs and can’t evacuate with them anywhere. He lives in an old apartment on the first floor in one of the evacuation zones. He’s going to ride it out but it’s really scary.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

And how exactly would having a farm help?

And no it's not that reason.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:04 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:50 pm

Yup. Just as an aside, we transported our Golden (with a mix of Standard Poodle) to Africa and he had to be in cargo in an "approved" carrier - solid sides so a crate wouldn't do. We had to have one custom made as the largest carrier wouldn't accommodate him because he's so leggy and his head touched the top. We ended up renting a trailer to haul the carrier, pooch in the backseat, to the airport. It was a $7000 fiasco but got our dog to Africa and he's home now in US looking at me with those puppy dog eyes.
😳 7000, for the carrier or the whole process of getting him to Africa?

Did they quarantine him? How’d he do? That was my biggest concern when Dh was offered a position out of the states. That the quarantine time would be hard on them, especially our older dogs.
Locked Previous topicNext topic