How many pets are too many? (hurricane related)

Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:26 pm Having a farm wouldn't keep multiple pets and safer in the event of a natural disaster. And having multiple pets is not at all why these people live in rvs and trailers.
In my area most farm owners have a trailer they can load their animals into. Or there's an organization that has trained with the fire department so they're allowed in closed off areas just to get the livestock out. Otherwise they say spray paint your number on them and then them loose to run away. It's safer than being trapped.
Most farms have livestock primarily not just cats and dogs. I do know a family that does dog rescue and breeding and even though they can't say how many dogs they have at any one time they do have an evacuation plan for them.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:22 am
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:28 am Is the carrier/crate requirement because they are evacuating to a shelter? I have carriers for my cats but not for my two large dogs. I couldn't get two large dog crates into my car!
We do not have crates for our dogs either. Like you we have two very large dogs (100lbs each). It would be impossible to put any crate of that size into my car, and my DH would only be able to fit one if we had any.
My first thought was why don't they just load the pets in the car without carriers. Just googled and Florida emergency shelters do not accept pets but some private shelters do as long as pet is in a carrier. I would be scrambling to locate two giant "carriers" and a trailer to move them!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:29 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:28 am Is the carrier/crate requirement because they are evacuating to a shelter? I have carriers for my cats but not for my two large dogs. I couldn't get two large dog crates into my car!
We do not have crates for our dogs either. Like you we have two very large dogs (100lbs each). It would be impossible to put any crate of that size into my car, and my DH would only be able to fit one if we had any.
My first thought was why don't they just load the pets in the car without carriers. Just googled and Florida emergency shelters do not accept pets but some private shelters do as long as pet is in a carrier. I would be scrambling to locate two giant "carriers" and a trailer to move them!
I would as well. Mine are both over 100 lbs. I am just thinking however about a dog at the dog park we go to. Fergus is 200 lbs of English Mastiff, how in earth do you find a carrier for him
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don't understand having more animals than you can safely transport. It's part of being a responsible pet owner. (this is excluding farms for obvious reasons LOL)
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:44 pm

I would as well. Mine are both over 100 lbs. I am just thinking however about a dog at the dog park we go to. Fergus is 200 lbs of English Mastiff, how in earth do you find a carrier for him
They do make huge crates for Great Danes, mastiffs etc but like you said, how the hell would you even fit that in the car? But anyway the emergency shelters are designed for the poorer folks who truly have nowhere else to go. Most folks that can afford such dogs and their accessories would just evacuate to a family members house or a hotel and just walk the dog in. No need for a crate in that instance.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:13 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:06 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:02 am

Because the trailers are not safe to be in during a major hurricane.
Neither is a house, lol. My BIL lives in a mandatory evacuation zone.
So what is he going to do? And many house in Florida are rated for hurricane strength. Much more than a trailer!
Hurricane strength is one thing, the issue is the 10 - 15 foot swells that are going to come on land. Many houses will end up getting water pretty close to their soffit. I follow a gal that lives down there and she's shitting a brick.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:51 pm
highlandmum wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:44 pm

They do make huge crates for Great Danes, mastiffs etc but like you said, how the hell would you even fit that in the car? But anyway the emergency shelters are designed for the poorer folks who truly have nowhere else to go. Most folks that can afford such dogs and their accessories would just evacuate to a family members house or a hotel and just walk the dog in. No need for a crate in that instance.
We did have a crate for our dogs when they were younger. I guess what you could do is if you have one is to folded it up and put it in the back, but those oversized cages are heavy. We never put our dogs in crates in the car, they are usually either in the back and they typically are sitting or laying down. I am so glad I do not need about stuff like this. Worst case here is we get a major snow storm and the family and the dogs are in the house for a day.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

I have a lot of pets. We live in a place without any real natural disasters except for blizzards in the winter which is why we have a generator and a back up generator. Evacuating would never be the option. You sound both ignorant and dumb.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:24 pm I have a lot of pets. We live in a place without any real natural disasters except for blizzards in the winter which is why we have a generator and a back up generator. Evacuating would never be the option. You sound both ignorant and dumb.
Who is "you both?" And we are talking about evacuations for a hurricane not a blizzard. Now who is the dumb one lol.
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

How's that glass house of yours??
Locked Previous topicNext topic