Let's have the nut discussion again

Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Dude… these responses are sad.

Y’all literally don’t give enough of a shit about your kids schoolmates SURVIVING THE DAY to pack a nut free sandwich.

Have you ever seen it? I mean have you ever seen someone going blue, gasping for air as they lost consciousness from anaphylaxis?

I have, it’s F***ing horrific. Luckily the person I saw lived, but it’ll stay with me forever and I can’t imagine knowingly allowing the ability for my kids to see that, and ON TOP OF THAT, for them to know it was their fault.

Lol I mean seriously… it’s pure F***ing evil to stand there in the kitchen making your kid’s sandwich for the day, and after you’ve been told not to bring nuts because it could kill a student to just do it anyways and say to yourself in your mind “ Oh well, if she dies she dies, it’ll be her own fault”…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

It wouldn't bother me or my kids. I'm sure the school is concerned about liability issues.

This isn't new or even just schools. I worked for a large law firm in the 80s and it was "nut free" due to an associate's nut allergy. My daughter attended a school 15 years ago that was "fragrance free" due to a teacher's allergies. Heck, our local hardware store has a sign "NO PATCHOULI DUE TO EMPLOYEE'S ALLERGIES" but I have a suspicion that they just don't like hippies.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:01 am Dude… these responses are sad.

Y’all literally don’t give enough of a shit about your kids schoolmates SURVIVING THE DAY to pack a nut free sandwich.

Have you ever seen it? I mean have you ever seen someone going blue, gasping for air as they lost consciousness from anaphylaxis?

I have, it’s F***ing horrific. Luckily the person I saw lived, but it’ll stay with me forever and I can’t imagine knowingly allowing the ability for my kids to see that, and ON TOP OF THAT, for them to know it was their fault.

Lol I mean seriously… it’s pure F***ing evil to stand there in the kitchen making your kid’s sandwich for the day, and after you’ve been told not to bring nuts because it could kill a student to just do it anyways and say to yourself in your mind “ Oh well, if she dies she dies, it’ll be her own fault”…
I think most moms are rule followers, but just disagree with the policy.

I feel such a rule is just inadequate to keep such a medical fragile teen safe. As a mom with 2 nut allergy kids, it was damn near impossible to manage in a small daycare & younger ages. I could not imagine expecting middle school, high school or a work place to create such an environment.

Although I love the sentiment of kindness and compassion towards keeping others healthy — it works both ways. My children would NEVER want to inconvenience 100’s of families for their medical or developmental issues.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:04 am

I feel such a rule is just inadequate to keep such a medical fragile teen safe. As a mom with 2 nut allergy kids, it was damn near impossible to manage in a small daycare & younger ages. I could not imagine expecting middle school, high school or a work place to create such an environment.

Although I love the sentiment of kindness and compassion towards keeping others healthy — it works both ways. My children would NEVER want to inconvenience 100’s of families for their medical or developmental issues.
Dude, Inconvenience me.

I would so much rather feel inconvenienced than guilty for hurting a child and my kids feel the same.

They’ve attended nut free schools for pretty much their entire elementary school years and some middle school years, it’s not a real problem for us, but it is a real problem for the people with allergies.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:09 am

Dude, Inconvenience me.

I would so much rather feel inconvenienced than guilty for hurting a child and my kids feel the same.

They’ve attended nut free schools for pretty much their entire elementary school years and some middle school years, it’s not a real problem for us, but it is a real problem for the people with allergies.
And I applaud you & your kids. It is very thoughtful.

But what about the parents who have kids sensory aversion and that is all they will eat? What about parents with food insecurity who only got huge tubs of peanut butter that week from the food pantry? What about the kid that just throws the meat & cheese sandwich away and find their way to chip & candy instead?

Those deserve just as much compassion and kindness.

And once again, if a teen is so sensitive, that nuts anywhere in the vicinity triggers anaphylaxis, this policy it not effective at these ages, they would be in danger.

My children have several unique needs, grant it, not life threatening, but I think it is emotionally damaging to teach them the masses should sacrifice for them. It promotes a view of selfishness & entitlement. It promotes a sense of victimhood and more and more data is arising these feelings are awful for overall happiness & well-being.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

In elementary I can agree with nut free. By the time kids get to middle and HS they should be able to monitor themselves( knowing their allergies and speaking up for themselves.)
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:28 am

Dude, Inconvenience me.

But what about the parents who have kids sensory aversion and that is all they will eat? What about parents with food insecurity who only got huge tubs of peanut butter that week from the food pantry? What about the kid that just throws the meat & cheese sandwich away and find their way to chip & candy instead?

And once again, if a teen is so sensitive, that nuts anywhere in the vicinity triggers anaphylaxis, this policy it not effective at these ages, they would be in danger.

My children have several unique needs, grant it, not life threatening, but I think it is emotionally damaging to teach them the masses should sacrifice for them. It promotes a view of selfishness & entitlement. It promotes a sense of victimhood and more and more data is arising these feelings are awful for overall happiness & well-being.
No… they don’t.

I mean, I hate to say it, but not everyone deserves the same amount of compassion and forethought.

The kid that will literally die, needs way more compassion than the kid who only wants to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch. And I say that as a the parent of a kid who is crazy picky.

I guess it’s good to teach kids that the masses won’t always cater to them, because that’s true.

But if your kid is a part of the masses, I think they should damn well be expected to help keep their classmates alive.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don't see why every student should adhere to extreme guidelines for a small number of, or even one student who has an allergy. Kids have been eating nuts and nut butters for generations.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:49 am

Dude, Inconvenience me.

No… they don’t.

I mean, I hate to say it, but not everyone deserves the same amount of compassion and forethought.

The kid that will literally die, needs way more compassion than the kid who only wants to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch. And I say that as a the parent of a kid who is crazy picky.

I guess it’s good to teach kids that the masses won’t always cater to them, because that’s true.

But if your kid is a part of the masses, I think they should damn well be expected to help keep their classmates alive.
Do you believe policy banning nut butter in a1200 person high school can successfully be implemented to a level that takes a risk for someone with such an severe allergy, even remote exposure from several tables over could kill them?

As a mom, who has watched her kid have an anaphylactic reaction — I would argue HELL to the F NO!

And if that is the answer, it is ridiculous to say, “well it may help a bit” so F all the other kids & their needs. I would argue there are far more effective policies that are actually SAFER.

And edited to add — when I say “support” I mean you agree with it.

“Follow” means, you follow the rules, because that’s what we do, even when we disagree with the policy — I agree, if those are the rules, I would follows them, I just think the rule should be changed.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:16 am
BobCobbMagob wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:49 am

No… they don’t.

Do you believe policy banning nut butter in a1200 person high school can successfully be implemented to a level that takes a risk for someone with such an severe allergy, even remote exposure from several tables over could kill them?

As a mom, who has watched her kid have an anaphylactic reaction — I would argue HELL to the F NO!

And if that is the answer, it is ridiculous to say, “well it may help a bit” so F all the other kids & their needs. I would argue there are far more effective policies that are actually SAFER.

It is school virtue signaling, supporting a policy that is ineffective at that level, just so you can say “we care more than others…

And edited to add — when I say “support” I mean you agree with it.

“Follow” means, you follow the rules, because that’s what we do, even when we disagree with the policy — I agree, if those are the rules, I would follows them, I just think the rule should be changed.
If it takes the risk level from 80% to 10% , I’m willing to do my part to facilitate that.

And yeah… even as the parent of a really picky eater I’m fully willing to say ( in much more PC terms) to my own children - sorry… f**k your feelings kid, I’m not packing nuts in your lunch if it could kill the kid sitting next to you.
Locked Previous topicNext topic