I told my daughter that I won't pay for a dorm room

hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I just want to say I loved my dorm experiences. I paid for them with loans, aid and work study. They were great experiences.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I just want to say I loved my dorm experiences. I paid for them with loans, aid and work study. They were great experiences.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

If she hasn't done so, have her talk to student services and the student loan department about housing/dorm loans that she's obligated to pay back.

$16,000 is a big chunk of change for a passage rite and experience.
Conweis
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I agree with you.
My oldest will be one mile from college if he goes to the one down the street. He has already said he would rather save his money.
Honestly, if he chose to go to college further away, like 30 minutes. It would still be cheaper to just buy him a car and let him drive there everyday.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It sounds like she wants freedom and to be out from under your thumb. I would pay for it even if it made no sense. This is an important time for her to establish herself without you around.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

First, the daughter SHOULD learn to consider the financial aspect of all this. And I do have a different take on all this-I DON'T think it's a necessary part of going to college. I think it could be all too easy to get into trouble being away at such a young age. Frankly, I think living at home where you have a family who will help out and look after your best interests would keep many kids from getting off on the wrong foot when they begin college.

Our daughter was a little bummed not to be living in the dorm as some of her friends would be doing. But after seeing the noise and chaos of dorm living she decided living at home was a pretty sweet deal. And her friends often came to our house for dinners or watching TV or even studying. I once thought I'd like living in the dorms but quickly changed my mind as well. Why would anyone waste so much money when you have free room and board close to campus?
Locked Previous topicNext topic