Prosecuting a 101 year old man

Anonymous 1

Unread post

After reading all the comments, I can see trying and convicting him. I just can't see actually putting him in prison unless it's a hospital or something of the sort.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I see nothing wrong with this.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:11 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:05 am
Frau Holle wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:01 am I think Americans overlook what it means to be in the military, and what it means to be conscripted.
Nuremberg defense?
Ask yourself what happened to an American or British soldier who leaves, or refuses to follow orders. It’s called either desertion or cowardice , and you were shot to death. In Germany, you and your family and children were shot to death.

I think if you’re going to go by laws that expect a more moral behavior from soldiers than is expected from those giving them the orders, you have to come up with a more moral way for them to refuse orders without risking death either way.
I can tell you without a shred of doubt in my mind that I would rather be shot than do what these people did to other human beings. These tragedies occur solely because people don't band together and stand up when they know something is outrageously morally repugnant. If these soldiers would have said no, this tragedy would NEVER have happened. There's not a more infuriating excuse than "I was just doing what I was told". How much damage has been wrought in the world by that single sentence. Compliance kills time and again.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:56 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:05 am

Nuremberg defense?
Ask yourself what happened to an American or British soldier who leaves, or refuses to follow orders. It’s called either desertion or cowardice , and you were shot to death. In Germany, you and your family and children were shot to death.

I think if you’re going to go by laws that expect a more moral behavior from soldiers than is expected from those giving them the orders, you have to come up with a more moral way for them to refuse orders without risking death either way.
I can tell you without a shred of doubt in my mind that I would rather be shot than do what these people did to other human beings. These tragedies occur solely because people don't band together and stand up when they know something is outrageously morally repugnant. If these soldiers would have said no, this tragedy would NEVER have happened. There's not a more infuriating excuse than "I was just doing what I was told". How much damage has been wrought in the world by that single sentence. Compliance kills time and again.
I’m not disagreeing, I’m saying it would happen more often if compliance or death was not the only choice one can make.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:23 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:56 pm

I’m not disagreeing, I’m saying it would happen more often if compliance or death was not the only choice one can make.
Valid point. It's highly effective at keeping the serfs in line, as we see!
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:49 am A 101-year-old man was convicted in Germany of 3,518 counts of accessory to murder on Tuesday for serving at the Nazis' Sachsenhausen concentration camp during World War II. He was sentenced to five years in prison.

What do you think about prosecuting and imprisoning a very old person?
I think, when he was a concentration camp guard, he would have had no hesitation in killing a 101-year-old Jew.

It is, in this case, not so much about protecting society from him, or even justice. It is about sending a message, to future generations "Do this sort of shit, and you'll be hunted the rest of your life. You will never know peace."
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I say prosecute him. Let the truth come to light. Even if he is found guilty, that does not mean he has to remain in custody.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Prosecute him and if he’s found guilty: off to prison. Age does not deny what he did.

And while we’re on the topic of prosecuting and imprisoning the elderly: Arrest and prosecute Carolyn Bryant Donham!!! They just found the 67 year old arrest warrant for her in a Mississippi basement.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:51 pm Prosecute him and if he’s found guilty: off to prison. Age does not deny what he did.

And while we’re on the topic of prosecuting and imprisoning the elderly: Arrest and prosecute Carolyn Bryant Donham!!! They just found the 67 year old arrest warrant for her in a Mississippi basement.
Yes!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:51 pm Prosecute him and if he’s found guilty: off to prison. Age does not deny what he did.

He was already tried and sentenced by the Neuruppin Regional Court.

Sorry accidentally hit submit. I 100% agree on Donham. It’s not double jeopardy she wasn’t charged in the original case, no double jeopardy.
Locked Previous topicNext topic