I failed a student and now I think I will lose my best friend

AnakinVader

Unread post

My best friend of 25 years teaches 5th grade at the school my kids go to. When my DD and DS hit 5th, I told my friend and the school that I didn't want the kids in her class for this very reason.

I wouldn't ask my friend to change grades but I also wouldn't put her in the position where she felt she needed to do something like that or even have to talk to me about how my kids were doing in school. so they were put in another class.

I love my friend and she is a great teacher but that was not something i wanted to deal with.
RedBottoms

Unread post

KaibAzula wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:33 pm My best friend of 25 years teaches 5th grade at the school my kids go to. When my DD and DS hit 5th, I told my friend and the school that I didn't want the kids in her class for this very reason.

I wouldn't ask my friend to change grades but I also wouldn't put her in the position where she felt she needed to do something like that or even have to talk to me about how my kids were doing in school. so they were put in another class.

I love my friend and she is a great teacher but that was not something i wanted to deal with.
Because you are a good reasonable person. Too bad there are not more people like you in the world
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 2:30 pm ps I think the Principals should be on duty to disallow this. If I were a principal I would tell my teachers if you are friends outside school with a parent and their kid is coming to this school-you need to disclose that so I can make sure that kid does not end up in your class. NO BFFs kids in your classes as that is a conflict of interest.
I actually agree with this. While it shouldn't be a conflict of interest, it usually turns into such. Most teachers I know would never give such allowances to students they might know personally outside of school. There are some that do, but most of the time it's the parents who expect the special treatment. Nip in the bud ASAP. If a student knows the teacher personally, they shouldn't be in their class.

As far as the current situation for the OP, I'd say consider this the "friend" finally showing her true colors. She merely was taking advantage of the friendship. Consider the relationship over and move on. Let her continue to be a petty bitch.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Rebeccaraev2 wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 1:50 pm Tough shit. Friendship doesn’t mean taking advantage of others. She’s a cuntwaffle. You did the right thing.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

She's not a good parent or a good friend.
Nerdymom
MegaMod
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I see a lot of the teachers at my kids elementary school socially, I always make sure to not talk about school stuff when I see them outside of school time.

I think your friend is being ridiculous, your friendship has nothing to do with her child’s lack of effort.
islandchick
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

Usually I'd type out my own advice, but honestly everyone posting has already said exactly what I'd tell you.

It sucks you are losing a friendship, but it is what it is. She is the one to blame in all of this.
Verrine
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

This is ridiculous.
It is better that her daughter have the consequence of retaking a class now then failing something in the future. We all want to protect our kids, but sometimes we can't.
It's sad that you thought you were friends with an adult and it turns out otherwise.
Aislinn
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

With friends like that who needs enemies? You didn't let anyone down. I know if my friend were my child's teacher and I got that info from a PTC, my kid would have snapped shit or I would have found her a tutor. For your friend to give zero shits about her daughter's education is pathetic. What was going to happen down the line when her daughter couldn't do the work and you weren't her teacher?
mama_danetta
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Sorry you were friends with such a user.
Locked Previous topicNext topic