They are begging me to switch shifts but they want me to take a pay cut

Anonymous 4

Unread post

I wish they would offer my husband day shift but the pay differential is only $.50 per hour. Totally not worth it but employees don't get a choice whether to work days or nights. Nights suck.
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

HR is lacking.
They need to hire someone new for the position.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I totally understand that. If I were looking for a boost to my income and didn't have nighttime obligations, that's exactly what I would do, too! :)
Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:04 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:02 pm Back in the day, people would jump at the opportunity to get the hell off of the night shift and on to the day shift.
That’s why they pay more often times for the night shift. My sister works the night shift for that reason.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I agree that it's a big difference in pay. But like I said, DAY shift was always the most sought after shift. So, I guess for those that did jump from NIGHT shift to DAY shift, it must have been worth it. But yes. I do understand that some might not be able to take that pay cut.

I would think that if OP's hospital posted a HELP WANTED AD, they'd have no hard time filling the DAY shift positions. At all.
Nopeville wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:05 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:02 pm Back in the day, people would jump at the opportunity to get the hell off of the night shift and on to the day shift.
And take a $6 an hour pay cut? That's a big shift differential for a lot of people. I can see why no one wants to do it. Out of curiosity, OP, what's the pay on days?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Night shift peeps shouldn't have to justify why they want to keep the shift they have. Whatever reasons they have are their reasons. Conversely, day shift wannabees have their reasons, too. For them, they are willing to take less pay to have their nights open (for whatever reason). Where I live, I don't care if it's NIGHT shift that's hiring or it's DAY shift that's hiring. Those positions are filled in a heartbeat.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:07 pm
I don't know anyone who works night shift that wants to move at my job. For us it is the opposite, there are people trying to get on night shift and there is a huge waiting list.

I don't know why anyone would want to take a $6 an hour pay cut for a worse job. Day shift sucks.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

OR staying on DAY shift at $30.00 per hour more than meets her financial needs AND works with her home schedule/needs.
Nopeville wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:14 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:08 pm
Nopeville wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:05 pm

And take a $6 an hour pay cut? That's a big shift differential for a lot of people. I can see why no one wants to do it. Out of curiosity, OP, what's the pay on days?
Base pay for someone in my position on days is $30 an hour
So, moving to nights gets you an additional 20% of your pay? That's a pretty good increase.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

THIS. Simple solution.
Lotus wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:24 am HR is lacking.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

IF this works for you, don't cave to the pressure, they need to get out their with hiring or referral incentives or get some travelers. You shouldn't be their solution.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:53 pm I wish they would offer my husband day shift but the pay differential is only $.50 per hour. Totally not worth it but employees don't get a choice whether to work days or nights. Nights suck.
They absolutely should pay him more than that. It's ridiculous how companies have such little regard to their night-shift employee's health.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Lotus wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:24 am HR is lacking.
They have been trying. No one wants days or they come and leave. Day shift is a shit show.
Locked Previous topicNext topic