They are begging me to switch shifts but they want me to take a pay cut

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My work is really short staffed on day shift. They have been asking night shift to switch to days. No one wants to. I have worked night shift for a long time and I love it. Management is starting to beg me to switch over. I was considering it temporarily until I asked about pay and I found out I would lose my shift differential. I could understand if I was making the permanent move to day shift or if I was the one asking for the change. They are begging me because they need the help but they want me to lose out on $6 an hour. I told them no. They are still begging. I told them I would do it if I got paid the same and they said that will never happen. They will never get anyone to switch over and take a pay cut. They are stupid for even thinking that is a possibility. The least they can do is pay us the same amount if we moved because they need the help.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I can't see anyone willingly doing that unless they absolutely hated nights. That's like a part time job you'd be giving up.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Deleted User 670

Unread post

If they want people to move to the day shift, then they're gonna have to pony up more money to entice someone to make the move. I wouldn't do it either and take the pay cut. I'd only do it if they gave me extra money for my trouble.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Back in the day, people would jump at the opportunity to get the hell off of the night shift and on to the day shift.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:02 pm Back in the day, people would jump at the opportunity to get the hell off of the night shift and on to the day shift.
That’s why they pay more often times for the night shift. My sister works the night shift for that reason.
Nopeville
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:02 pm Back in the day, people would jump at the opportunity to get the hell off of the night shift and on to the day shift.
And take a $6 an hour pay cut? That's a big shift differential for a lot of people. I can see why no one wants to do it. Out of curiosity, OP, what's the pay on days?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I don't know anyone who works night shift that wants to move at my job. For us it is the opposite, there are people trying to get on night shift and there is a huge waiting list.

I don't know why anyone would want to take a $6 an hour pay cut for a worse job. Day shift sucks.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Nopeville wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:05 pm
And take a $6 an hour pay cut? That's a big shift differential for a lot of people. I can see why no one wants to do it. Out of curiosity, OP, what's the pay on days?
Base pay for someone in my position on days is $30 an hour
Nopeville
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:08 pm
So, moving to nights gets you an additional 20% of your pay? That's a pretty good increase.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Nopeville wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:14 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:08 pm

So, moving to nights gets you an additional 20% of your pay? That's a pretty good increase.
Night shift differential is $4. That is pretty standard. Then you get an extra $2 if it is a weekend night. I work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights so I can have the $6 differential.
Locked Previous topicNext topic