I told DD if she doesnt go to school she will have to move out

Unread post

SmurfyTime wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:57 pm
luvthagirl wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:21 pm
SmurfyTime wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:51 pm I think you are being too harsh. I'm all about furthering your education but if she doesn't know what she wants I think working full time is ok. It's hard at 18 to know what you want to do with your life.
She can spend 2yrs at a community college figuring it out
And that could be a waste of money.
We are paying for it not her

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:04 pm
RedBottoms wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:28 pm If a kid wants a gap year why is that on their parents to fund it though?
If she's working and paying rent, they're not funding anything.
I am not a landlord. If she is working and paying rent it should be for her own place
flowerfunleah
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

If she doesn't know what she wants to go to school for as a major yet then she can enroll as a general education major and just knock out all those prerequisites while she figures it out.
Maggie
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

We had that same rule growing up and my kids have it too.
Emandab
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Smart way to go. It's what we will do with ours. I'm raising future adults, not basement dwellers.
Deleted User 876

Unread post

Guest wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:47 pm The rule to live in the house after high school is that my kids either need to be enrolled in school full time or working part time and going to school part time. I require them to be furthering their education to stay living in the house. It doesnt necessarily have to be college, one of my kids opted to go to a trade school

DD just graduated and she asked if she could just work full time instead. I told her no. If she wants to stay living in the house she needs to be in some type of school. This has always been the rule and she has known it since an early age.

She still wants me to change the rules for her because she doesnt think she wants to go to school and wants to just work until she figures it out. If she is working full time she might as well be living on her own. I wont have a freeloader in my house and if she is going to pay me rent she might as well be paying rent in her own place.

She is upset that I wont bend the rules for her but says she will figure it out. We live in a low COL area so with a couple of roommates she can easily support herself working full time even if she was making minimum wage.

She thinks I am too strict. I dont think requiring them to further their education to live at home is too strict. DH got kicked out after he graduated high school because "adults live on their own" as his parents say

I lived at home while going through school and had no problem with it. My parents had to evict my sister when she was 22 because she made it clear she planned on working and living there for a long time. She never wanted to move out and they were sick of having a 22 year old doing the same exact thing she did at 16 with no desire to leave home.

I wont risk the same thing with my kids. At least if they are in school they are working towards something and there is an end date.

She either needs to follow the house rules, which are the same for all of my kids, or get her own place.
My daddy always said a healthy bird will leave the nest.
A lady

Unread post

I agree wholeheartedly with you. I really want my only child to go to college and if he decided not to go to school then he can live his life as exactly how he feels but not in my house. living in my house means you live in by my rules and that rule is you will get a advanced degree. you need to see how hard life is going to be right away no sugar coating it! My kid needs know exactly how hard it is to be living with roommates That eat your food and borrow your clothing. He needs to have a crappy car and struggle that's what you're going to get for the first couple of years of your life. My neice tried it and the Summer after all her freinds finished freashman year they partied all summer but she had to get up and go to work. She regreted her decision and now lives with her parents again she knows the window to return to the nest was narrowing. I personally wont help my son return home if he took more than 1 gap year. I will take the funds for college to build up my retirement fund and take a few nice vacations. Once my nest is empty i might turn his room into a office/craft room. Aint nobody got time for that.
ashleywineaholic
Villein
Villein

Unread post

I don't think you're wrong for enforcing your rule. Personally, I'd encourage school but ultimately wouldn't force it. No point in going into debt to send your kid to college if that's not what they want since you won't get the results you hope for.
AubreeGrace17
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I think that's a harsh rule, but it is your house. It sounds like she knew what the rules are, so it is her job to follow them, or to make alternative plans.
Shell7m
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I'd give her 3 months to save up and then she'd have to leave. It gives her time to save up for down payments on things.
Locked Previous topicNext topic