This should be illegal

Anonymous 1

Unread post

its going to be 110 this week and next. So our electric company is raising rates to 75 cents per kwh between the hours of 2 and 7. No cooling stations are open because of covid.
Theyre going to kill someone! I'm cooling my house before 2 pm and keeping it sealed for those 5 hours.
This sucks.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Yeah no. Nobody is going to die in 5 hours with no AC. AC goes out all the time in hot temperatures during storms, rolling blackouts etc. (sometimes for days!) If you have an issue with the price hike that I can get behind, but no need for dramatics.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:30 pm Yeah no. Nobody is going to die in 5 hours with no AC. AC goes out all the time in hot temperatures during storms, rolling blackouts etc. (sometimes for days!) If you have an issue with the price hike that I can get behind, but no need for dramatics.
Its a very real risk for the elderly who can't afford these high rates as well as the very young and people who aren't in good health. Thats why they typically open cooling stations.
mrsjules79
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

It’s super hot here all summer but our electric isn’t raised during certain hours. I do know from experience that at these temps, it doesn’t take long for it to get pretty hot in the house without ac but 5 hours I can deal with.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

What is a cooling station? What country are you in?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:25 pm its going to be 110 this week and next. So our electric company is raising rates to 75 cents per kwh between the hours of 2 and 7. No cooling stations are open because of covid.
Theyre going to kill someone! I'm cooling my house before 2 pm and keeping it sealed for those 5 hours.
This sucks.
Oops. I forgot.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:44 pm What is a cooling station? What country are you in?
The United States. When it gets hot they open places like fire stations and libraries for those who are at a higher risk for heat related illnesses. Its just too hot and people do die from it.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'm going to guess 110F is abnormal for you. I'm also curious what your typical rate is that they are raising it from.

Where I'm at, we have a high of 115F today. We won't see a high below 111F for the foreseeable future. And we never have cooling stations. It just is what it is here. Everyone knows it's hot and everyone knows AC is important.

Last night I saw a news report of a woman in the Phoenix area (similar temps to where I am) who's been waiting for I don't remember how many weeks for her AC to be fixed. Fighting with the home warranty they have. They have a second AC unit (like we do) so half her house is fine, but the other half is hot. She and her family have been camping overnight in their living room to be comfortable.

You do what you have to do. Around here I don't hear about the elderly or the poor dying from the extreme heat. It's the homeless who die who don't even have a home with electricity to go to. But even at that it's rare to hear of a homeless person dying because I think they go hang out at Walmart and stuff like that.

There are lots of ways to beat the heat if one looks for them.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:07 pm I'm going to guess 110F is abnormal for you. I'm also curious what your typical rate is that they are raising it from.

Where I'm at, we have a high of 115F today. We won't see a high below 111F for the foreseeable future. And we never have cooling stations. It just is what it is here. Everyone knows it's hot and everyone knows AC is important.

Last night I saw a news report of a woman in the Phoenix area (similar temps to where I am) who's been waiting for I don't remember how many weeks for her AC to be fixed. Fighting with the home warranty they have. They have a second AC unit (like we do) so half her house is fine, but the other half is hot. She and her family have been camping overnight in their living room to be comfortable.

You do what you have to do. Around here I don't hear about the elderly or the poor dying from the extreme heat. It's the homeless who die who don't even have a home with electricity to go to. But even at that it's rare to hear of a homeless person dying because I think they go hang out at Walmart and stuff like that.

Not abnormal I'm in California. We are still shut down and I live in a rural area. Theres nowhere to go hang out.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:07 pm I'm going to guess 110F is abnormal for you. I'm also curious what your typical rate is that they are raising it from.

I don't believe for a second that no one where you live gets sick or dies from the heat. I live in state where 100 plus happens more of the summer than not and yes, vulnerable people easily die from the heat. The stores and libraries here aren't thrilled with homeless people, or anyone really, just hanging out in their buildings to be out of the heat so that is not an option. But I live in the real world, not the one you occupy where you give needlessly long replies to every post you respond to where you're the only one who is ever right.
Locked Previous topicNext topic