This should be illegal

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:56 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:07 pm I'm going to guess 110F is abnormal for you. I'm also curious what your typical rate is that they are raising it from.

Where I'm at, we have a high of 115F today. We won't see a high below 111F for the foreseeable future. And we never have cooling stations. It just is what it is here. Everyone knows it's hot and everyone knows AC is important.

Last night I saw a news report of a woman in the Phoenix area (similar temps to where I am) who's been waiting for I don't remember how many weeks for her AC to be fixed. Fighting with the home warranty they have. They have a second AC unit (like we do) so half her house is fine, but the other half is hot. She and her family have been camping overnight in their living room to be comfortable.

You do what you have to do. Around here I don't hear about the elderly or the poor dying from the extreme heat. It's the homeless who die who don't even have a home with electricity to go to. But even at that it's rare to hear of a homeless person dying because I think they go hang out at Walmart and stuff like that.

There are lots of ways to beat the heat if one looks for them.
I don't believe for a second that no one where you live gets sick or dies from the heat. I live in state where 100 plus happens more of the summer than not and yes, vulnerable people easily die from the heat. The stores and libraries here aren't thrilled with homeless people, or anyone really, just hanging out in their buildings to be out of the heat so that is not an option. But I live in the real world, not the one you occupy where you give needlessly long replies to every post you respond to where you're the only one who is ever right.
If they do, no one talks about it. That's what "I don't hear about" generally means. Re-read my words.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:07 pm I'm going to guess 110F is abnormal for you. I'm also curious what your typical rate is that they are raising it from.

Where I'm at, we have a high of 115F today. We won't see a high below 111F for the foreseeable future. And we never have cooling stations. It just is what it is here. Everyone knows it's hot and everyone knows AC is important.

Last night I saw a news report of a woman in the Phoenix area (similar temps to where I am) who's been waiting for I don't remember how many weeks for her AC to be fixed. Fighting with the home warranty they have. They have a second AC unit (like we do) so half her house is fine, but the other half is hot. She and her family have been camping overnight in their living room to be comfortable.

You do what you have to do. Around here I don't hear about the elderly or the poor dying from the extreme heat. It's the homeless who die who don't even have a home with electricity to go to. But even at that it's rare to hear of a homeless person dying because I think they go hang out at Walmart and stuff like that.

There are lots of ways to beat the heat if one looks for them.
It happens in Chicago occasionally. The elderly die from the hear. And in Florida at that nursing home after Irma I believe people died because the place had no generator. It was Hollywood Florida. If libraries, pools, beaches and movie theaters are closed or social distancing the options could be few. I grew up with no air conditioning in Florida but I had places to go to cool off.
penpen
Villein
Villein

Unread post

Heatstroke is very common particularly among the elderly in high heats. People just don't like thinking about it.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

penpen wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:27 pm Heatstroke is very common particularly among the elderly in high heats. People just don't like thinking about it.
Exactly and the ones on a fixed income just can't afford 75 c/kwh
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Can I ask more specifically where you live? Sounds like where my mom and sister live, but they’re also battling ash.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

LuckyEightWow wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:40 pm Can I ask more specifically where you live? Sounds like where my mom and sister live, but they’re also battling ash.
I won't get more specific than California but thankfully not near a fire at this time.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:43 pm
LuckyEightWow wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:40 pm Can I ask more specifically where you live? Sounds like where my mom and sister live, but they’re also battling ash.
I won't get more specific than California but thankfully not near a fire at this time.
So not the same area. My mom was being all pissy cause she had to use her window AC’s instead of her swamp cooler.

And I’d be damn pissed about the rate increase, however it seems to be pretty normal for Cali.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I'm totally ignorant about what I'm about to ask. Is it difficult to switch electric companies? Can they just get rid of the one that they have?
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:25 pm its going to be 110 this week and next. So our electric company is raising rates to 75 cents per kwh between the hours of 2 and 7. No cooling stations are open because of covid.
Theyre going to kill someone! I'm cooling my house before 2 pm and keeping it sealed for those 5 hours.
This sucks.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:52 pm I'm totally ignorant about what I'm about to ask. Is it difficult to switch electric companies? Can they just get rid of the one that they have?
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:25 pm its going to be 110 this week and next. So our electric company is raising rates to 75 cents per kwh between the hours of 2 and 7. No cooling stations are open because of covid.
Theyre going to kill someone! I'm cooling my house before 2 pm and keeping it sealed for those 5 hours.
This sucks.
Nope we have zero options to switch to.
We are working on getting solar but we are still required by law to be connected to the grid and pay them at least a connection fee.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:52 pm I'm totally ignorant about what I'm about to ask. Is it difficult to switch electric companies? Can they just get rid of the one that they have?
This sucks.
Some places only give you one option for electricity. It's that way here in my area. Unless I want to pack up, and move for other choices. I'm stuck.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Locked Previous topicNext topic