Age difference in friends.

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Just over a year ago this guy started working at my job. We started talking and we had similar interests. I knew he was young, but I didn't ask at first his age. Turns out he was 19.... I was 38.

One day he asked me if I wanted to go to the Zoo with him (We both love the Zoo) I said sure. It was not a date, it was just 2 friends going to the zoo. We started doing lunch once a week or so, when the theaters were open we might catch a movie every couple of months. We have a lot of fun together.

People ask us what is going on between us and honestly we are just friends. Nothing has gone on. It just seems to really bother people that we spend time together. I get that I am older than him .I just don't understand why people are bothered by a friendship, that just works for what reason I don't know, but it does.
bluebunnybabe
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I have friends of all different ages. I don’t worry about what others think.
🍦Kid Crack Dealer🍦
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don’t think it’s as much the age as the gender roles here. For most it’s impossible for men and women to “just be friends”

With that said my oldest friend is 30 years older than I am-2 years younger than my Mom. My youngest friend is 4 years older than me. So I span the gammot!
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Most of my friends are 35-60. The youngest friend I have is 25. I talk to him every few months.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We have friends of all ages. Some younger than us. Some quite a bit older than us. Some right around our age. Just a couple weeks ago we had one of our friends over and she's 10+ years older than us. Something came up in conversation, don't remember what, but she said "I forget how much younger you guys are."

And that's a good thing. If you connect as friends, then the age difference doesn't matter and you basically forget about it. I think in your case people question it partly because the male/female thing (which shouldn't matter) but also partly because he's so young. He's an adult, but barely so. People want a cougar scandal to gossip about.
Ignore the people and enjoy your friendship.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My oldest friend is 83 and my youngest is 54. I seem to attract people of retirement age who have no children or they're grown and out of the house. Idk why except I'm an older mother. People younger than me got grandkids and I'm like if my kids do that I'll kill them lol. I live in the south though.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My friends all happen to be around my age.
Not on purpose really, it’s just how it happened
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
californiagirl83
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The mentality of 'men and women can never be just friends' is total bunk. It absolutely CAN happen. The age difference isn't weird either. I have friends nearing retirement age, and I have friends who were in pre-k when I was a senior in hs.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Age difference in friends is a non-issue in my view, for adults anyway. When it comes to being romantically involved, I think the greater the age gap the less chance of success though. I just turned 44 and most of my friends are 44 to 50, with only one being 12 years younger. At 32 she is an official Millennial, so definitely her generational thinking comes through.

On Millennials, I have supervised them at work before. That is another discussion.
TheCut
Lady in Waiting
Lady in Waiting

Unread post

My mother in law is friends with a man who is 35 years younger than her. She's relatively attractive and in great shape for her age. He is smoking hot, like a Hispanic Alex Bregman. The only connection they have is that she was his driver when they lived in another country. I guess I can understand a man and a woman who have no romantic interest in each other being friends, but she admits he's a total panty dropper. And his wife doesn't know he comes over to the house to spend time with her alone. So yeah, I do think it's weird.
Locked Previous topicNext topic