Anyone have a fried rice recipe?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I need a good recipe if anyone has one, please! My kids like the one that is made at Japanese steakhouses, no extra veggies though. Just rice, eggs, white onions, garlic (no carrots). What do they use along with the soy sauce, salt, and pepper to season? TIA!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I use this recipe every time and my family loves it:
"Better Than Takeout Fried Rice"
https://lifemadesimplebakes.com/better- ... ried-rice/

**I don't put in Oyster Sauce.

ETA: I think the Sesame Oil is what makes it taste so good. And I noticed, after the fact, that you preferred no extra vegetables. I'm sure you could omit any vegetables that you wish and you'll still love this recipe.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:41 pm I use this recipe every time and my family loves it:

ETA: I think the Sesame Oil is what makes it taste so good. And I noticed, after the fact, that you preferred no extra vegetables. I'm sure you could omit any vegetables that you wish and you'll still love this recipe.
Thank you! I’d probably omit the extra veggies, but everything else would work! I do have sesame oil on hand too.
Do you chill the rice a whole day in advance? Or could I cook up a fresh batch then chill it in the fridge or freezer for a half hour?
Also, do you make the entire quantity? I am thinking of cutting it in half to serve 4 people.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

And here's the "Better Than Takeout CHICKEN Fried Rice" version. (You could use any protein that you wish. If you prefer, use shrimp!) This is phenomenal, too:
https://therecipecritic.com/chicken-fried-rice/

Ingredients
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 pound chicken cut into small pieces
3 cups cooked rice *
2 Tbs sesame oil
1 small white onion chopped
1 cup frozen peas and carrots thawed
2-3 Tablespoons soy sauce more or less to taste
2 eggs lightly beaten
2 Tbsp chopped green onions optional

Instructions
In a large skillet or wok, add vegetable oil and soy sauce. Add in the chicken and cook until lightly brown and cooked throughout. Remove and set aside.

Pour sesame oil in the bottom. Add white onion and peas and carrots and fry until tender.

Slide the onion, peas and carrots to the side, and pour the beaten eggs onto the other side. Using a spatula, scramble the eggs. Once cooked, mix the eggs with the vegetable mix.

Add the rice and chicken to the veggie and egg mixture. Pour the soy sauce on top. Stir and fry the rice and veggie mixture until heated through and combined. Add chopped green onions if desired.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I think throwing it in the fridge for a half hour is fine. I've even made it the day before. I always make the whole quantity! It goes quickly and if by chance there ARE leftovers, it's great re-heated. I would not cut the quantity if you're making this for 4.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:53 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:41 pm I use this recipe every time and my family loves it:

Thank you! I’d probably omit the extra veggies, but everything else would work! I do have sesame oil on hand too.
Do you chill the rice a whole day in advance? Or could I cook up a fresh batch then chill it in the fridge or freezer for a half hour?
Also, do you make the entire quantity? I am thinking of cutting it in half to serve 4 people.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Japanese fried rice is called yakimeshi, so it might help to research using that name. Always cook your rice the night before, it needs to be completely cooled or it won't crisp right. Use a short grain rice. Add a couple tablespoons of mayonnaise, kewpie mayonnaise works the best but any will work. It really helps to keep your grains from sticking together and really enhances the flavors. Use a very small amount of sesame oil in your pan, the mayonnaise has oils already in it so you do not need to add a lot and sesame adds a ton of flavor. You can't taste the mayonnaise once it's done cooking.
Wait until your pan is at a high heat before adding the rice and once you add it, don't stop flipping it. Every couple minutes, give it a good turn. Once all of the rice has gotten some heat, Crack a couple of eggs into it and keep turning. Then add a splash of soy sauce (preferably dark soy sauce), a very good shake of maggi sauce, and a splash of sake. The alcohol burns off, it is perfectly safe for kids. I also add a shake of seven spice. Then add some finely diced red onion and finely chopped scallion whites. I add peas and whatever vegetables we have as left over and keep turning until there is a nice crisp on the rice and vegetables. Garnish with finely chopped scallion greens.n
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You need yum yum sauce :)
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If they like the Japanese version, called Yakimeshi, I suggest using sushi rice. Cook it according to package instructions (most brands call for equal parts rice and water) and then don’t add any of the vinegar and sugar mix into it. Leave it to cool down as it is. I make it the day before or put it in the fridge. If it’s not completely cooled, it may get mushy. Once cooled, heat up some oil and give it a quick stir fry, in a very hot pan or a wok and add soy sauce and whatever ingredients you want to it.
If adding veggies or meat, I cook them before adding the rice.
Not to pat my own back, but I make mean yakimeshi rice 😁. Even my mom who’s not a fan of Japanese food loves it. I don’t have a recipe, though because I just ass by taste. But my 3 basics are: 1) using sushi rice, not regular rice, 2) have it cooled down before frying, and 3) really hot pan or wok for the frying. Oh and using low sodium soy sauce, I find the regular one too salty and I end up not tasting the soy sauce, just the salt.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 2

Unread post

OP, make sure you let us know when you make yours!
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I like the various fried rice options mentioned. What ever recipe or ingredients you use for fried rice, in my experience, the following three things are essential for good fried rice:

- Rice, not over cooked and not instant;
- Cold rice; and
- Fry in a hot pan at high heat, preferable a wok.

A trick I use; if I discover that I want fried rice in an hour or so, I spread it out on a cookie baking sheet and put it in the freezer to dry it out in 20 or 30 minutes.
Locked Previous topicNext topic