What would you do if you had a 10 year old dealing with depression because of isolation?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

There’s nowhere she can go, no teams to join, no playgroups to enter. School probably won’t start even though she’s supposed to start in a month.

How do I help her when I can’t give her what she needs, which is friends?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Is she actually depressed or is she just feeling bummed and lonely? Honest question since my advice would differ for a child dealing with clinical depression and a kid who is bored and disappointed.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

What does she enjoy? Does she have school friends? Could she call them? What about cousins close to her age?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:49 pm Is she actually depressed or is she just feeling bummed and lonely? Honest question since my advice would differ for a child dealing with clinical depression and a kid who is bored and disappointed.
It’s not diagnosed, but to me seems like legitimate depression. Doesn’t want to even go outside anymore, cries throughout the day, sleeps until 10:30 and is gaining weight because she won’t go outside to play anymore
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:51 pm What does she enjoy? Does she have school friends? Could she call them? What about cousins close to her age?
She does have cousins, but their mom won’t even sign them up for school she’s so scared of Covid so she won’t let her kids out of the house. Her school friends can talk on the phone sometimes but not often enough to make her happier and there’s only 4 of them.
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'd do what you did, ask opinions but also speak to her doctor and maybe see if you can find an interest or hobby. my granddaughter loves pinterest ideas and we've made many. it keeps her busy and she loves to see her creations on display.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Does your community offer any on-line zoom programs through the library, art center, scouts, 4-H? If there is something that she is interested in she could sign up and meet other kids in the area that are interested in the same thing.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:53 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:51 pm What does she enjoy? Does she have school friends? Could she call them? What about cousins close to her age?
She does have cousins, but their mom won’t even sign them up for school she’s so scared of Covid so she won’t let her kids out of the house. Her school friends can talk on the phone sometimes but not often enough to make her happier and there’s only 4 of them.
Why can't her friends from school come visit?
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:53 pm
Would she and her friends enjoy something like Discord? You can create private online chat groups. It's how my oldest stays in touch with his friends. They're even using it now to help each other with online schooling.
My youngest gets on speakerphone with his best friend and they play online games such as Roblox together. It's the next best thing to playing in person.

Are her friend's parents letting them out of the house? You could offer to host a backyard party. Keep the kids in the backyard (except to use the restroom) to minimize potential spread in the house. Let them have fun with different games, etc.
lauren08
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’d suggest to her to FaceTime her friends from school. Not having that social interaction can be tough for kids. She can also take an online class to give her something to do and help relieve the boredom. There are a lot of free or reduced price classes to take. Encourage her to get outside as much as possible, even if just to walk the dog around the neighborhood or something like that. I would also bring it up with her doctor.
Locked Previous topicNext topic