My kids can't do online school

Anonymous 8

Unread post

You are going to have to figure it out. We are. And guess what, we are in the same situation.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:19 am
Anonymous 6 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:44 am
JoJo728 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:39 am 1. Have you talked to the school? What was their response?
2. Have you talked to neighbors/friends/etc? How are others doing this? Do your friends/neighbors have access are are willing to let your kids come over and use.
3. Of course I am surprised that no one has raised this yet - if you have no WiFi and sketchy cell phone, how in the world where you able to make this post.

Oh there will be an interesting explaination for this.
Well I've been in the mountains of NC where the internet and phone service is awful. Same with South Carolina. My brother could get Verizon on his phone. I couldn't get T-Mobile. What we did was make the hour drive into town where data could be gotten. Then one could use a hotspot anywhere. "Shrugs". T-Mobile is terrible in rural areas but usually satellite or phone can be gotten through someone even if a drive is involved. Verizon and Sprint have better coverage.
We are in the mountains in Virginia and have the same issue - dead zones with no internet, cellular service, or satellite. Our school system is using the bus route and equipping the buses with Wifi hot spots so while it won't get internet access straight to people's homes, it will get it closer than driving into town.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Have you spoken to the school about providing paper copies and/or a thumb drive of the online learning material? My son is in high school and took summer school online. All the material was available as a paper copy/thumb drive either for me to pick up weekly at the school or have it delivered via bus route. Assignments could be turned in the same way. This option is available to us for the semester as it's going to be a hybrid of in-person/online.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If internet is that tough to get in your area I have to assume that your school is aware of it and has some sort of contingency plan for parents in your predicament. You can't be the only one. Work with the school to see what can be figured out.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:29 am

[/highlight]

Well I've been in the mountains of NC where the internet and phone service is awful. Same with South Carolina. My brother could get Verizon on his phone. I couldn't get T-Mobile. What we did was make the hour drive into town where data could be gotten. Then one could use a hotspot anywhere. "Shrugs". T-Mobile is terrible in rural areas but usually satellite or phone can be gotten through someone even if a drive is involved. Verizon and Sprint have better coverage.
We are in the mountains in Virginia and have the same issue - dead zones with no internet, cellular service, or satellite. Our school system is using the bus route and equipping the buses with Wifi hot spots so while it won't get internet access straight to people's homes, it will get it closer than driving into town.
There's a good solution.
We left Florida when hurricane Irene came. There we are driving back roads of south Carolina because I-95 was a mess and I'm whining because no one sells freaking paper road maps anymore. Moral... download Google maps when dealing with T-Mobile.
I seem to recall watching- and it's fiction I know- The Boy in the Plastic Bubble with John Travolta. He attended school by closed circuit TV and landline since this was 1977 or something. I wonder if school districts could do that at least for lectures. Have children attend via conference call like i have for IEP meetings. Pain in the neck I'm sure.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Hire tutors to come to the house to teach? We should have nationwide wifi, everywhere like we do electricity, imo.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:32 am We don't have WiFi at my house. There is no way to even get it. We tried satellite and it doesn't work.

We barely even have cell phone reception. As in I can't even make a phone call.

The library in town is closed. They don't have wifi. Even the school doesn't have WiFi access outside. We don't have Starbucks or McDonald's or anything like that anywhere close. We live way out in the boonies.

I've been trying to find a good curriculum that I can do outside of school without internet and it has been hard. Two of my kids are in advanced classes. I don't know how to do trigonometry or calculus. I don't know much about biology. Most of the stuff I have found that would meet their needs is very expensive. I wish I could hire a tutor but that is too expensive also.

The state has really strict laws and two of my kids are going to have to take standardized testing by a certified teacher and I have no idea how to even set that up.

I have been trying to figure it out for months and now I'm freaking out. The school year is supposed to start next week and I still have nothing. I know I don't have to start at the exact same time but I don't want to put it off for too long.
There is absolutely no cable company that will come to your area and lay down cables?
Anonymous 9

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:35 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:32 am We don't have WiFi at my house. There is no way to even get it. We tried satellite and it doesn't work.

The library in town is closed. They don't have wifi. Even the school doesn't have WiFi access outside. We don't have Starbucks or McDonald's or anything like that anywhere close. We live way out in the boonies.

I've been trying to find a good curriculum that I can do outside of school without internet and it has been hard. Two of my kids are in advanced classes. I don't know how to do trigonometry or calculus. I don't know much about biology. Most of the stuff I have found that would meet their needs is very expensive. I wish I could hire a tutor but that is too expensive also.

The state has really strict laws and two of my kids are going to have to take standardized testing by a certified teacher and I have no idea how to even set that up.

I have been trying to figure it out for months and now I'm freaking out. The school year is supposed to start next week and I still have nothing. I know I don't have to start at the exact same time but I don't want to put it off for too long.
There is absolutely no cable company that will come to your area and lay down cables?
Around here some cable companies will in rural areas if they can but it’s going to cost a pretty penny and it doesn’t sound like they have that plus the monthly cost for the internet.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:28 am

Saxon Math...and you can get DVDs of a teacher teaching the lesson on christianbook.com (try searching Art Reed Saxon or Dive Saxon), but I believe the book just teaches the lessons itself if you don't want to pay for the DVDs.
I will look into it thanks
Anonymous 1

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:29 am

[/highlight]

I wish they would do that here.
Locked Previous topicNext topic