My kids can't do online school

Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:32 am We don't have WiFi at my house. There is no way to even get it. We tried satellite and it doesn't work.

We barely even have cell phone reception. As in I can't even make a phone call.

The library in town is closed. They don't have wifi. Even the school doesn't have WiFi access outside. We don't have Starbucks or McDonald's or anything like that anywhere close. We live way out in the boonies.

I've been trying to find a good curriculum that I can do outside of school without internet and it has been hard. Two of my kids are in advanced classes. I don't know how to do trigonometry or calculus. I don't know much about biology. Most of the stuff I have found that would meet their needs is very expensive. I wish I could hire a tutor but that is too expensive also.

The state has really strict laws and two of my kids are going to have to take standardized testing by a certified teacher and I have no idea how to even set that up.

I have been trying to figure it out for months and now I'm freaking out. The school year is supposed to start next week and I still have nothing. I know I don't have to start at the exact same time but I don't want to put it off for too long.
Saxon Math...and you can get DVDs of a teacher teaching the lesson on christianbook.com (try searching Art Reed Saxon or Dive Saxon), but I believe the book just teaches the lessons itself if you don't want to pay for the DVDs.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:15 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:13 am well gollly geeeee whiz.....what do you think parents did back before internet????
Its called networking
I've been trying to figure something out for months. So far I have been unsuccessful.
What exactly have you been doing???
Anonymous 4

Unread post

After work I would take my kids to the nearest place that offers free WiFi. Might be a drive but it's better than nothing.
PurpleTurtle
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:17 am
PurpleTurtle wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:12 am Have you contacted the school and explained the situation to them? We're in a rural area so there are people with shakey-at-best internet access. The schools boosted their wifi so many of their parking lots are now hotspots. They're providing a very limited number of paper assignments for those who absolutely cannot get online. I don't know how they're handling instruction in those cases since it doesn't apply to us so I didn't read it that closely. Maybe your kids' school has something similar. It's not ideal but it can't hurt to ask. Good luck!
Yes I have. They offered help to pay for the satellite internet but it doesn't work. They have paper assignments for some classes but not others especially for my older kids.
Ugg. That sucks.
JoJo728
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

1. Have you talked to the school? What was their response?
2. Have you talked to neighbors/friends/etc? How are others doing this? Do your friends/neighbors have access are are willing to let your kids come over and use.
3. Of course I am surprised that no one has raised this yet - if you have no WiFi and sketchy cell phone, how in the world where you able to make this post.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Do you live in Walnut Grove?
Anonymous 6

Unread post

So, you have teens that have zero access to wifi for a phone, ipad, xbox live etc? And they are totally ok with that in this day and age? Not buying it.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

JoJo728 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:39 am 1. Have you talked to the school? What was their response?
2. Have you talked to neighbors/friends/etc? How are others doing this? Do your friends/neighbors have access are are willing to let your kids come over and use.
3. Of course I am surprised that no one has raised this yet - if you have no WiFi and sketchy cell phone, how in the world where you able to make this post.

Oh there will be an interesting explaination for this.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:44 am
JoJo728 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:39 am 1. Have you talked to the school? What was their response?

We all wait for this, it is going to be she is at work, at a neighbors, walked to the end of her drive.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:44 am

Well I've been in the mountains of NC where the internet and phone service is awful. Same with South Carolina. My brother could get Verizon on his phone. I couldn't get T-Mobile. What we did was make the hour drive into town where data could be gotten. Then one could use a hotspot anywhere. "Shrugs". T-Mobile is terrible in rural areas but usually satellite or phone can be gotten through someone even if a drive is involved. Verizon and Sprint have better coverage.
Locked Previous topicNext topic