Should school districts provide computers and WiFi for at home learning?

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

mrsjules79 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:49 pm
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:33 am
EarlGrayHot wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:19 am Many schools already do. Perhaps districts should provide computers for students who cannot afford their own until we are back on track for in person learning.
Some school districts in the area do, Houston Isd does. But this is a smaller suburb and they just don’t have the money for it.
Which district? I’m in KatyISD but my DD graduated in 17.

Alvin
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Comcast is providing free WIFI if needed and the school for K-4 is supplying the kids with Chromebooks. The kids from 5-12 already have them as they are required for those grades already. If they can't afford one or damaged one etc. the school will loan them one to use.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Our middle schools and high schools already all had them.
Our elementary schools were in the process of all getting them. And the district says that all elementary school kids "that need them" will have them by the start of school.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My school district is supplying computers and hotspots.
Not everyone can afford a laptop for each child
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Ours are.....Chrome books and setting up mobile hot spots for kids without internet at home so they can still get on and do their assignments.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:58 am
agander2017 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:42 am Schools these days don't provide anything for students. Have you seen the list of stuff that teacher's want the parents to buy? I went back to school shopping with my SIL last year for my nieces, and the list she had was outrageous. And my niece is only 6. She was starting kindergarten.

Why would they provide computers and WiFi when they won't even provide glue sticks? :roll:
I'm in my mid 40's and schools never provided paper, glue, etc when *I* was a kid. There have always been supply lists. The problem is that schools get little funding and teachers are providing much of the supplies themselves. Many schools do not provide cleaning supplies for teachers so teachers have to fund it and in order to offset it, they put hand sanitizer and such on their lists. Keep in mind, many parents will do the bare minimum if anything at all either because they can't financially swing it, or they don't care. When the government does not act like education is important by giving necessary funding, it trickles down.
Our district provides chromebooks ( I only know this because almost all of my friends are teachers) , but not wifi.
I do think that virtual is the best option for many areas right now that are increasing and that something needs to be done so that *all* students have the same opportunities for education. I wish I knew what the answer is for everyone involved-especially those that need interventions.
I'm 38, and I remember teachers providing things like glue, and worksheets, in elementary school. I had to have the basics, blank paper, pencils, erasers, things like that, but the school supplied the glue, crayons, chalk that teachers used on the boards. I remember, because many times my teacher would ask me to go up to the office and get her some chalk. And they would pull it out of a big box, and give it to me. I would do the same for other supplies the teachers needed, if they sent me up there. Glue, crayons, even some pencils, if they were needed. That was years ago, and in California. I'm not sure what they did in other states. I do remember supplies being given though. Chromebooks for everyone would be expensive. I think most schools these days assume that the parents already have a computer and internet access. I don't think they do that here.

One of the things that was on a friend's child's school list was a tablet. Every child had to have one, and it had to have internet access. They had to take it to school everyday, and do their school work on that. It's just crazy to me how much the government doesn't care about education. :(

WickedPissah
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

That is a huge cost and a lot of computers to buy.
I shit glitter
msgme
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:27 am Can I just ask where do you think these schools would get all these laptops by the start of school? For example New York City has 1.1 million children lets say that 75% of them do not have a laptop and opt into the program. That means that the city needs to find 825,000 laptops (Chromebooks) by the start of school at a cost of (for argument sake) $250 each, that works out to $206,250,000 this school needs to find by the start of school. If you are talking about supplying Chromebooks to every elementary and secondary student in the US you are now talking about billions of dollars and tens of millions of Chromebooks - logistically it is not happening.
NYC spent about 269 million for ipads for about 300,000 kids in our public school system that needed something for remote learning back in Mar/April. They still have a form you can fill out if your child still needs a device. I don't know if they are still doing it but our cable companies are also providing free wifi to kids with school issued devices.
It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Ok. So we know a lot of COVID-19 money is going to tech providers. Where else is it going?
Anonymous 10

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:44 pm Ok. So we know a lot of COVID-19 money is going to tech providers. Where else is it going?
I imagine it's different for each school district depending on their needs. For our district (which is an underserved district/low income) it's gone to providing internet solutions for families with no internet - chrome books were distributed to all students several years ago. It provides bus delivered hard copies for those students where internet is impossible. It provides free breakfast and lunch for all students, retrofitting the heating/cooling system to allow for filtration, masks for all students and staff, plexiglass between student stations/teachers/admin, health monitoring checkpoints, cost of online services, additional teaching hours, additional cleaning of the school, etc.
Locked Previous topicNext topic