What is privilege?

Mamaof5
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:12 pm I spent a lot of my childhood in poverty, with parents who received various forms of government assistance. I can tell you for certain, we were not "privileged", unless you have a very loose definition of the word. Was it a privilege to have food on the table? A roof over our heads? Running water? I guess one could argue that. But being relieved that you have basic needs met certainly isn't my idea of "privileged".
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:48 pm.
There are so many different kinds of privilege. Wealth is just one form of it. There’s privilege that comes from being wealthy, being male, being straight, being white, being Christian, etc. Almost everyone has some form of it. It’s so much more complicated than saying “I grew up poor so I can’t have privilege.”
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:26 pm
carterscutie85 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:53 pm Privilege is when you are a young white male and you get zero jail time for raping an unconscious woman behind a dumpster all because you are "such" a good athlete.

Privilege is not being shot in your own bed while you are asleep because the cops mistook you for someone they already had in custody.

Privilege is not having your neck kneeled on after passing a (what turned out not to be) fake 20 dollar bill.

Privilege is knowing you can drive your car and not be stopped because you are white. Privilege is not worrying about someone stopping your SUV looking for a stolen motorcycle and pinning your family to the ground.

I could go on.
Why is everyone skipping over the fact that her car was actually stolen and reported as so earlier in the year?

I didn't know that but why did they pull her over when they were looking for a motorcycle?? Because she and her family are black. I promise you a cop would not have mistook the car for a motorcycle if a white person was driving it.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

I hope you didn't read what I said as "I can't have privilege".
I never said I don't have privileges, I said that I don't consider the things from the article privileges. Speaking mainly of those I've experienced myself.
Mamaof4 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:26 pm
Anonymous 9 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:12 pm I spent a lot of my childhood in poverty, with parents who received various forms of government assistance. I can tell you for certain, we were not "privileged", unless you have a very loose definition of the word. Was it a privilege to have food on the table? A roof over our heads? Running water? I guess one could argue that. But being relieved that you have basic needs met certainly isn't my idea of "privileged".
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:48 pm.
There are so many different kinds of privilege. Wealth is just one form of it. There’s privilege that comes from being wealthy, being male, being straight, being white, being Christian, etc. Almost everyone has some form of it. It’s so much more complicated than saying “I grew up poor so I can’t have privilege.”
Anonymous 8

Unread post

My personal experience as a thin, attractive, intelligent, white woman is that the first “privilege” I would give up is my race. And btw, I’m wealthy now but lived in poverty as a child.
hotspice58 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:11 pm Since a white man shot at cops and was not killed, race plays into it,
Anonymous 5 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:34 pm Its a farce. Its an excuse used by some people to justify their poor choices in life.
The biggest privilege in this country is wealth privilege followed closely to political privilege.
justagirl
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

I'm confused about that too. Apparently the LPN was the same as a stolen motorcycle? And it's pure coincidence that her car was also stolen previously...?
But why are they running her plate anyway? There are SO many stolen vehicles. The cops aren't generally just driving around looking at everyone's LPN to see if it matches a stolen one.

It's all just weird. I'm glad no one was hurt/killed.
carterscutie85 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:29 pm
Anonymous 8 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:26 pm
carterscutie85 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:53 pm Privilege is when you are a young white male and you get zero jail time for raping an unconscious woman behind a dumpster all because you are "such" a good athlete.

Privilege is not being shot in your own bed while you are asleep because the cops mistook you for someone they already had in custody.

Privilege is not having your neck kneeled on after passing a (what turned out not to be) fake 20 dollar bill.

Privilege is knowing you can drive your car and not be stopped because you are white. Privilege is not worrying about someone stopping your SUV looking for a stolen motorcycle and pinning your family to the ground.

I could go on.
Why is everyone skipping over the fact that her car was actually stolen and reported as so earlier in the year?

I didn't know that but why did they pull her over when they were looking for a motorcycle?? Because she and her family are black. I promise you a cop would not have mistook the car for a motorcycle if a white person was driving it.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:08 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:04 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:51 pm

Then he had some serious drugs in his system.

Nope. No drugs at all in his system. They checked of course. Both blood and urine. But nope. All he had was alcohol.
Right. And he fostered puppy dogs and the judge had them all put to sleep as punishment. Sorry, drug tests are ordered when drugs are found. Even weed. If there were no drugs found, even a public attorney could have had that stipulation dropped.

And you are absolutely wrong. You do realize the drug test also tested for alcohol, and he was forbidden from drinking while on probation. Heck he couldn’t even sit at the bar at a restaurant.

No drugs in his system. Just alcohol.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:35 pm

Nope. No drugs at all in his system. They checked of course. Both blood and urine. But nope. All he had was alcohol.
Right. And he fostered puppy dogs and the judge had them all put to sleep as punishment. Sorry, drug tests are ordered when drugs are found. Even weed. If there were no drugs found, even a public attorney could have had that stipulation dropped.

And you are absolutely wrong. You do realize the drug test also tested for alcohol, and he was forbidden from drinking while on probation. Heck he couldn’t even sit at the bar at a restaurant.

So he was caught for alcohol, and tested for alcohol. Shocker.
Mamaof5
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Apologies, that’s how I read it. That makes more sense
Anonymous 9 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:31 pm I hope you didn't read what I said as "I can't have privilege".
I never said I don't have privileges, I said that I don't consider the things from the article privileges. Speaking mainly of those I've experienced myself.
Mamaof4 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:26 pm
SummerDream
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Yep and that privilege wants others to sell their soul to the devil.
SummerDream
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:35 pm

Alcohol is a drug. LOL
Locked Previous topicNext topic