You do not have to have compassion for someone to be a good nurse

Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:23 am
Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:20 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:15 am

Not all nurses or health care providers are good at their job. I never implied that.
You implied racism and prejudice don’t matter when it comes to the type of health care people receive.

That is so unbelievably false it enters into offensive.

If you actually are a nurse, this is something you need to start understanding, today.
A good nurse treats all people well no matter who they are. It isn't a hard concept to understand. A good nurse doesn't let prejudice of any kind impact how they do their job.
A nice F***ing fairy tale, but so far from reality it’s disgusting.

Think whatever you want, but you supporting this bullshit notion means you are part of the problem.

There are many studies on this subject and the effect on subconscious decisions these prejudices cause , you might want to educate yourself.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

No this post is a spin off of a comment where someone said something along the lines of you can't be a good nurse without compassion for your patient. That is completely untrue. I never stated my opinion about if what the other nurse said was concerning or not. That is not what this post is about at all.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:26 am No, but this S/O you made was a sort of criticism for those in the other post who agreed that there was a valid concern after that nurse’s comments and that her lack of empathy and compassion could reflect on her job.
Do you need to have compassion for every individual you treat? No, but as I said you do need to be a compassionate person and therefore not someone who proudly says that a group of innocent people are worthless. A compassionate person is one who can rise above her personal feelings and her job well. A person who lacks compassion probably has a harder time doing that. And I’m sorry, but someone who thinks that a person who may not be able to be a top notch lawyer or doctor or CEO of a company is worthless and has nothing to offer is a person that lacks compassion.
Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:14 am

Then why are there so many stories of black people getting less pain medication and compassionate care than white people?

Why are there so many stories of gay people being treated horribly during the AIDS epidemic in the 80’s?

Racism and prejudice are absolutely affecting the care of minorities. It’s F***ing offensive that a NURSE would pretend like none of this matters.
Not all nurses or health care providers are good at their job. I never implied that.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well, but if you read her whole comment, she has a point. If you have to do “disgusting” things for someone like changing their diapers or cleaning their vomit you do needs certain degree of compassion even if you dislike that person. You don’t have to feel the same degree for compassion you would have for a nice, old lady who broke her hip playing with her grandson, but some compassion you do need to have to do your job just as well.
She gave a good example, if you had a loved one that needed extensive care and you hired a nurse that in all aspects seems to be doing a good job, but then you find out she made comments about people like your loved one being worthless r####ds, would you really think “oh, well, but she’s a “good” nurse”? Would you really not fire her and find a nurse that doesn’t have such negative feelings about your loved one?
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:32 am No this post is a spin off of a comment where someone said something along the lines of you can't be a good nurse without compassion for your patient. That is completely untrue. I never stated my opinion about if what the other nurse said was concerning or not. That is not what this post is about at all.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:26 am No, but this S/O you made was a sort of criticism for those in the other post who agreed that there was a valid concern after that nurse’s comments and that her lack of empathy and compassion could reflect on her job.
Do you need to have compassion for every individual you treat? No, but as I said you do need to be a compassionate person and therefore not someone who proudly says that a group of innocent people are worthless. A compassionate person is one who can rise above her personal feelings and her job well. A person who lacks compassion probably has a harder time doing that. And I’m sorry, but someone who thinks that a person who may not be able to be a top notch lawyer or doctor or CEO of a company is worthless and has nothing to offer is a person that lacks compassion.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:09 am I think you have to have compassion for human suffering whether you like the person or not.
This is what I was trying to say when I made that comment. It's not so much for the person, but the fact that they are a human being. I still stand by the fact that you can't hate everyone and be a good nurse. You have to have some level of compassion for others in one way or another. Otherwise you wouldn't want to be in the business of helping anyone at all.

lauren08
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Eh, I disagree.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Not true but tell yourself all the lies you want.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

If I'm being cared for by a skilled nurse who lacks compassion, she's getting ditched. I'll take the skilled compassionate nurse.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:06 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:02 am

Rapists are individuals who are guilty of a horrific crime. If you had prejudice against an entire group of people not based on their actions but based on their abilities, race, religion, sexual orientation, etc., that you would effectively be able to nurse to everyone equally?
I have known nurses who were extremely religious and were prejudice against gay and bisexual individuals. They were still good nurses. One of the nurses who trained me was racist but she had more awards and was ranked the best nurse for a long time. A good nurse treats everyone the very best they can no matter who they are or what the situation is. You treat everyone the same whether you like them or not.
Then why are there so many stories of black people getting less pain medication and compassionate care than white people?

Why are there so many stories of gay people being treated horribly during the AIDS epidemic in the 80’s?

Racism and prejudice are absolutely affecting the care of minorities. It’s F***ing offensive that a NURSE would pretend like none of this matters.
I think it does matter. If it didn't we might as well have androids and robots caring for people. I might be able to provide perfunctory care for a child molester because I believe it's part of my job. But that's all it will be.. perfunctory. Do the job and get out. But how often does one know someone's criminal record? Or their sexual history. And in the other post if that nurse truly felt that way about sn people (who didn't ask to be what they are) then she needs a change of career. She's allowing her prejudices to affect her work. She can teach or give vaccines at Walgreens or an urgent care. She shouldn't lose her license but even sn people know who cares and who don't. Just like infants respond to compassion compared to perfunctory care.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think that’s the point where the debate is confusing. Of course everyone can follow a set of instructions: take vital signs every “X” time, give this medication every “X” hours, check for these signs, take short walks twice a day, take care of the patient’s diet. Whatever. Anyone can do that for any person regardless of personal feelings when their job depends on it. And the medical care would be impecable, for sure. But I seriously doubt any nurse has the same bedside manner and the same personal treatment towards someone they like and respect and towards someone they dislike or think of as worthless or inferior.
Pjmm wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:42 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:06 am

I have known nurses who were extremely religious and were prejudice against gay and bisexual individuals. They were still good nurses. One of the nurses who trained me was racist but she had more awards and was ranked the best nurse for a long time. A good nurse treats everyone the very best they can no matter who they are or what the situation is. You treat everyone the same whether you like them or not.

I think it does matter. If it didn't we might as well have androids and robots caring for people. I might be able to provide perfunctory care for a child molester because I believe it's part of my job. But that's all it will be.. perfunctory. Do the job and get out. And in the other post if that nurse truly felt that way about sn people then she needs a change of career. She's allowing her prejudices to affect her work. She can teach or give vaccines at Walgreens or an urgent care. She shouldn't lose her license but even sn people know who cares and who don't. Just like infants respond to compassion compared to perfunctory care.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Professionalism is also part of being a good nurse. It is not professional to say anything rude about a patient in front of them or their family members.

I don't have any compassion at all towards some people and I still take great care of them.

I personally see nothing wrong with that other nurse losing her job based off of what she said.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:45 am Well, but if you read her whole comment, she has a point. If you have to do “disgusting” things for someone like changing their diapers or cleaning their vomit you do needs certain degree of compassion even if you dislike that person. You don’t have to feel the same degree for compassion you would have for a nice, old lady who broke her hip playing with her grandson, but some compassion you do need to have to do your job just as well.
She gave a good example, if you had a loved one that needed extensive care and you hired a nurse that in all aspects seems to be doing a good job, but then you find out she made comments about people like your loved one being worthless r####ds, would you really think “oh, well, but she’s a “good” nurse”? Would you really not fire her and find a nurse that doesn’t have such negative feelings about your loved one?
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:32 am No this post is a spin off of a comment where someone said something along the lines of you can't be a good nurse without compassion for your patient. That is completely untrue. I never stated my opinion about if what the other nurse said was concerning or not. That is not what this post is about at all.

Locked Previous topicNext topic