You do not have to have compassion for someone to be a good nurse

Anonymous 1

Unread post

LuckyEightWow wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:09 am You keep saying a good nurse, great, but not all nurses are good.
That is true. There are a lot of terrible nurses out there.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Yes, good nurses can put aside their prejudices.
Not all nurses are good, though.
And while in that post I agree that it was uncalled for to mess with her livelihood without any further evidence that she cannot be a good nurse because of her prejudices, it’s still not too far fetched to at least consider the possibility that she isn’t. After all, what she agreed to is that SN people are useless and therefore a waste of time to provide them with an education. It’s a possibility that she may feel the same way about going an extra mile to provide healthcare if they’re really more a nuisance than an asset.
I can see both sides.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:06 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:02 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:40 am

I disagree. I dislike all rapists. I can still do my job well. That is just one example.
Rapists are individuals who are guilty of a horrific crime. If you had prejudice against an entire group of people not based on their actions but based on their abilities, race, religion, sexual orientation, etc., that you would effectively be able to nurse to everyone equally?
I have known nurses who were extremely religious and were prejudice against gay and bisexual individuals. They were still good nurses. One of the nurses who trained me was racist but she had more awards and was ranked the best nurse for a long time. A good nurse treats everyone the very best they can no matter who they are or what the situation is. You treat everyone the same whether you like them or not.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:40 am

I disagree. I dislike all rapists. I can still do my job well. That is just one example.
Rapists are individuals who are guilty of a horrific crime. If you had prejudice against an entire group of people not based on their actions but based on their abilities, race, religion, sexual orientation, etc., that you would effectively be able to nurse to everyone equally?
I have known nurses who were extremely religious and were prejudice against gay and bisexual individuals. They were still good nurses. One of the nurses who trained me was racist but she had more awards and was ranked the best nurse for a long time. A good nurse treats everyone the very best they can no matter who they are or what the situation is. You treat everyone the same whether you like them or not.
Then why are there so many stories of black people getting less pain medication and compassionate care than white people?

Why are there so many stories of gay people being treated horribly during the AIDS epidemic in the 80’s?

Racism and prejudice are absolutely affecting the care of minorities. It’s F***ing offensive that a NURSE would pretend like none of this matters.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:14 am

Then why are there so many stories of black people getting less pain medication and compassionate care than white people?

Why are there so many stories of gay people being treated horribly during the AIDS epidemic in the 80’s?

Racism and prejudice are absolutely affecting the care of minorities. It’s F***ing offensive that a NURSE would pretend like none of this matters.
Not all nurses or health care providers are good at their job. I never implied that.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Exactly. You need to BE a compassionate person, it doesn’t mean every individual inspires that compassion. You still have to provide them with medical care.
And I think saying that can treat rapists and pedophiles even without feeling compassion is very different than having prejudices against people who have done no harm and have no control over their situation. I think we all can pretty much agree that we don’t have compassion for rapists and pedophiles. But for SN people? Consider them worthless and useless? Agree with someone saying they won’t amount to much so why make an effort? That’s downright intolerance. And if that nurse believes those things I think it’s perfectly valid to question if she can treat people she thinks are worthless to receive other things, like an dictation.
Frau Holle wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:09 am I think you have to have compassion for human suffering whether you like the person or not.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think you can still have compassion for someone even while disliking them. Emotions are complex, and it’s hardly ever an either/or situation, IMO.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:15 am

Not all nurses or health care providers are good at their job. I never implied that.
You implied racism and prejudice don’t matter when it comes to the type of health care people receive.

That is so unbelievably false it enters into offensive.

If you actually are a nurse, this is something you need to start understanding, today.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:20 am

You implied racism and prejudice don’t matter when it comes to the type of health care people receive.

That is so unbelievably false it enters into offensive.

If you actually are a nurse, this is something you need to start understanding, today.
A good nurse treats all people well no matter who they are. It isn't a hard concept to understand. A good nurse doesn't let prejudice of any kind impact how they do their job.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

My point is that you don't have to have compassion for someone to be a good nurse to them. I'm not agreeing with what the other nurse said or did.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:19 am Exactly. You need to BE a compassionate person, it doesn’t mean every individual inspires that compassion. You still have to provide them with medical care.
And I think saying that can treat rapists and pedophiles even without feeling compassion is very different than having prejudices against people who have done no harm and have no control over their situation. I think we all can pretty much agree that we don’t have compassion for rapists and pedophiles. But for SN people? Consider them worthless and useless? Agree with someone saying they won’t amount to much so why make an effort? That’s downright intolerance. And if that nurse believes those things I think it’s perfectly valid to question if she can treat people she thinks are worthless to receive other things, like an dictation.
Frau Holle wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:09 am I think you have to have compassion for human suffering whether you like the person or not.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No, but this S/O you made was a sort of criticism for those in the other post who agreed that there was a valid concern after that nurse’s comments and that her lack of empathy and compassion could reflect on her job.
Do you need to have compassion for every individual you treat? No, but as I said you do need to be a compassionate person and therefore not someone who proudly says that a group of innocent people are worthless. A compassionate person is one who can rise above her personal feelings and her job well. A person who lacks compassion probably has a harder time doing that. And I’m sorry, but someone who thinks that a person who may not be able to be a top notch lawyer or doctor or CEO of a company is worthless and has nothing to offer is a person that lacks compassion.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Locked Previous topicNext topic