You do not have to have compassion for someone to be a good nurse

lauren08
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:56 pm
lauren08 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:22 am Eh, I disagree.
So if someone is caring for a pedophile and they don't feel compassion for them they are automatically a bad nurse?
That doesn’t even make sense. That wasn’t what your initial post said. The ability to empathize with human suffering is important for a nurse. Most people go into the profession because they care about others. A pedophile is a different kind of circumstance. You still treat them, but I don’t think anyone would be expected to have empathy for someone who is committing offensive acts. I was thinking more along the lines of, in general, nurses should be compassionate toward their patients. Your post made it sound like nurses don’t need to be compassionate at all to be successful, and that’s what I disagree with. I would much prefer my loved ones to be cared for by someone who was compassionate and empathetic rather than someone who was cold and detached.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

lauren08 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:42 am
lauren08 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:22 am Eh, I disagree.
So if someone is caring for a pedophile and they don't feel compassion for them they are automatically a bad nurse?
That doesn’t even make sense. That wasn’t what your initial post said. The ability to empathize with human suffering is important for a nurse. Most people go into the profession because they care about others. A pedophile is a different kind of circumstance. You still treat them, but I don’t think anyone would be expected to have empathy for someone who is committing offensive acts. I was thinking more along the lines of, in general, nurses should be compassionate toward their patients. Your post made it sound like nurses don’t need to be compassionate at all to be successful, and that’s what I disagree with. I would much prefer my loved ones to be cared for by someone who was compassionate and empathetic rather than someone who was cold and detached.
There are some people I have absolutely no compassion for but that doesn't stop me from providing them the best nursing care I can. Everyone deserves the best care possible no matter who they are and what they have done, that is part of being a good nurse.

Lacking compassion doesn't mean you are cold and detached. If a nurse is acting cold and detached they aren't a good nurse.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My only comment to this post is I’m glad I’m compassionate(sometimes to a fault) and I’m even more glad I’m not a nurse.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Sorry, I think compassion is a critical factor in being a good nurse, doctor, or any other medical personnel. I wouldn't see a doctor if I felt he or she lacked compassion.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

EarlGrayHot wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:33 am Sorry, I think compassion is a critical factor in being a good nurse, doctor, or any other medical personnel. I wouldn't see a doctor if I felt he or she lacked compassion.
It happens all the time. Do you think people have compassion for rapists and pedophiles? Of course not but they can still receive good medical care from a good nurse or doctor.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Unless that hated patient is the one that bestowed that award upon you, you receiving it only says that your employer thinks you're skilled. The patient may feel quite differently.

If the employer was able to discern that you hated the patient, it wouldn't be a stretch to think that the patient did, too.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:12 pm She wasnt a good nurse then in the first place.

I have actually won an award based off of my care of someone I hate. With a good nurse you can't tell. They treat everyone the same.

If you felt mistreated in any way you should have asked for a new nurse and I am glad you did.
Anonymous 6 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:10 pm I positively would. I had such a nurse and asked to have another.

You wouldn't know if a good nurse feels compassion towards you or not. You would be treated the same either way
Anonymous 1

Unread post

The patient is the one who nominated me. He explained the situation and I got a daisy from it. I won based on the care I provided him. He made me want to throw up every time I saw him.

Anonymous 6 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:49 pm Unless that hated patient is the one that bestowed that award upon you, you receiving it only says that your employer thinks you're skilled. The patient may feel quite differently.

If the employer was able to discern that you hated the patient, it wouldn't be a stretch to think that the patient did, too.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:12 pm She wasnt a good nurse then in the first place.

I have actually won an award based off of my care of someone I hate. With a good nurse you can't tell. They treat everyone the same.

If you felt mistreated in any way you should have asked for a new nurse and I am glad you did.
Anonymous 6 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:10 pm I positively would. I had such a nurse and asked to have another.

Anonymous 9

Unread post

You're right OP. This is above many peoples heads here though
Locked Previous topicNext topic