I am PISSED OFF at the school district

Anonymous 4

Unread post

Emandab wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:45 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:28 am Yeah, my kids school announced closings at 6 am on the day of the closing twice last winter for weather. I was dumbfounded. (We are new to this area. Back home, we always knew at least the day before.) I really don’t know how people with little kids deal with that. (My kid is 16.) It’s ridiculous.
That's common in the central Midwest. It's been that way my entire life. They won't call off unless the roads are really bad. And they don't know that till the morning, because there is always the possibility of it clearing by 6am. And even then sometimes they'll just delay routes for an hour. I remember many mornings sitting in front of the TV watching the scrolling chiron announcing closings praying my school was on the list.
Hahaha! I loved those days. ..Our school was rarely on the list, even though the perimeter of schools around our district would be off, but for those days it was closed it was so sweet when we heard our school announced on the radio.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Yes that is ridiculous. And everyone on here needs to be prepared for the same thing. Plenty of districts say they are going back or even just doing 2 days a week. Be prepared for when the time comes that they say no never mind-we are doing all virtual. I know they SAY school is opening, but it won't.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:28 am Yeah, my kids school announced closings at 6 am on the day of the closing twice last winter for weather. I was dumbfounded. (We are new to this area. Back home, we always knew at least the day before.) I really don’t know how people with little kids deal with that. (My kid is 16.) It’s ridiculous.
That's common in the central Midwest. It's been that way my entire life. They won't call off unless the roads are really bad. And they don't know that till the morning, because there is always the possibility of it clearing by 6am. And even then sometimes they'll just delay routes for an hour. I remember many mornings sitting in front of the TV watching the scrolling chiron announcing closings praying my school was on the list.

Good memories!
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:44 am

Good memories!
I remember those days also. Sadly now with the capabilities of doing virtual learning kids these days won’t ever have the excitement of waiting to see if school is cancelled. Even if they can’t go in to school because of snow they will still have virtual class that day. Gone are the days!!
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That's how many districts here in my area of the PNW do it. They wait until about 5-6 am to make the announcement. Only if it's really bad is it done the day before. Like last year during snowpocolypse.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'm waiting for ds' college to cancel the dorm rooms and go completely online. He has a room but i just have this feeling...
xsxpxixdxexrxsx
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'd be pissed off too.
xsxpxixdxexrxsx
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:37 am Yes that is ridiculous. And everyone on here needs to be prepared for the same thing. Plenty of districts say they are going back or even just doing 2 days a week. Be prepared for when the time comes that they say no never mind-we are doing all virtual. I know they SAY school is opening, but it won't.
That's kinda how I feel at this point. If they do that here I'm going to pull my youngest kid from kindergarten, virtual kindergarten doesn't work at all.
Lotus
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I am equally surprised by your employer for not have a shred of empathy, as if this happened to you and you alone. As if this was somehow something you were responsible for. This isnt exactly the same thing as a snow day.
I think all school age parents need to start having contingency plans in place.

Me personally, I would be getting a small pod together where I had a support system similar to back when I homeschooled.
Michigan school districts were told they have to have a contigency plan for all 5 phases of shut down/opening. So it seems to me all school age parents should also do the same.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Just want to comment on the bold - in some areas that's very typical that weather closures are announced that morning. When we were in Minnesota, where closings happen for snow storms, it's very normal that all parents know they have to watch/listen to the news in the morning while everyone is getting ready. All news outlets announced school closures due to snow storms etc.

Schools couldn't always make the announcement the day before because even with today's predictions, the weather can change that quickly. If you announce the day before for a predicted snow storm, then the snow storm might not come and you closed for nothing. Or maybe there was no prediction and one popped up overnight. Weather is too unpredictable to get advance notice, and parents who live in areas like Minnesota just know this and deal with it. As for people with little kids, our daycare provider was still always open during school closures so instead of having the kids before/after school she had them all day. Most daycares were the same way.
Locked Previous topicNext topic