I am PISSED OFF at the school district

Anonymous 6

Unread post

I hate to say it but I think this sort of thing is going to happen with many school districts and colleges all across the country.

And if you think it's bad when it happens to your school age kids, just hope that it doesn't happen to your college kid. Dorm fee refund??? Nope.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Would you have been more or less pissed off if the call hadn't been made and only after your kids had spent the day in school found out someone had tested positive?
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Would you have been more or less pissed off if the call hadn't been made and only after your kids had spent the day in school found out someone had tested positive?
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:39 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:28 am Yeah, my kids school announced closings at 6 am on the day of the closing twice last winter for weather. I was dumbfounded. (We are new to this area. Back home, we always knew at least the day before.) I really don’t know how people with little kids deal with that. (My kid is 16.) It’s ridiculous.
Just want to comment on the bold - in some areas that's very typical that weather closures are announced that morning. When we were in Minnesota, where closings happen for snow storms, it's very normal that all parents know they have to watch/listen to the news in the morning while everyone is getting ready. All news outlets announced school closures due to snow storms etc.

Schools couldn't always make the announcement the day before because even with today's predictions, the weather can change that quickly. If you announce the day before for a predicted snow storm, then the snow storm might not come and you closed for nothing. Or maybe there was no prediction and one popped up overnight. Weather is too unpredictable to get advance notice, and parents who live in areas like Minnesota just know this and deal with it. As for people with little kids, our daycare provider was still always open during school closures so instead of having the kids before/after school she had them all day. Most daycares were the same way.
Same here. We find out at 6am if the school is going to be closed. No use doing it the night prior as things can change rapidly when it comes to weather.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Anonymous 9

Unread post

So I guess they should have had them in school for a few weeks, exposed to whoever has Covid, then canceled so you didn't get triggered.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:39 pm So I guess they should have had them in school for a few weeks, exposed to whoever has Covid, then canceled so you didn't get triggered.
Or they could have done it with more than 30 minutes notice.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:41 pm Would you have been more or less pissed off if the call hadn't been made and only after your kids had spent the day in school found out someone had tested positive?
They sent out more information about why they made the decision. All of the info was know more than the day before. They could have given more than 30 minutes notice.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Rules are rules and for me to call in without consequences it has to be with at least 4 hours notice. Someone had to stay late after working all night until they could find someone to cover me. I'm sure my manager had empathy for my situation but that doesn't change the fact that it fucked others over and there are rules in place.

Usually my mom or sister can take the kids but not with less than an hour of notice when they already had plans.
Lotus wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:53 am I am equally surprised by your employer for not have a shred of empathy, as if this happened to you and you alone. As if this was somehow something you were responsible for. This isnt exactly the same thing as a snow day.
I think all school age parents need to start having contingency plans in place.

Me personally, I would be getting a small pod together where I had a support system similar to back when I homeschooled.
Michigan school districts were told they have to have a contigency plan for all 5 phases of shut down/opening. So it seems to me all school age parents should also do the same.
Locked Previous topicNext topic