My annual complaint about wanting to move back to my hometown

Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:21 am This summer would have been the time to do it Bubbs. With school going virtual and no real football season well those things can be bargained with now. And I caution about saying in 6 years you are definitely out of there. Even at 18 your kids will still live with you and have jobs/college/friends in your current area and they will not want to move still. I totally get feeling stuck. But excuses will always be there. You just gotta pick up and do it.
We are having a football season, practices started at the beginning of July and hybrid learning starts next week.
I’m going to be prepare them to be in their own after high school. Hopefully they want to go away to college, I know my son has OSU dreams. And even locally, they can live in dorms and I can leave. They know I am only still here for them. Because nothing I do is really tied here, my job is mobile, I can go to college anywhere.
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Bubbs wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:45 am
Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:21 am This summer would have been the time to do it Bubbs. With school going virtual and no real football season well those things can be bargained with now. And I caution about saying in 6 years you are definitely out of there. Even at 18 your kids will still live with you and have jobs/college/friends in your current area and they will not want to move still. I totally get feeling stuck. But excuses will always be there. You just gotta pick up and do it.
We are having a football season, practices started at the beginning of July and hybrid learning starts next week.
I’m going to be prepare them to be in their own after high school. Hopefully they want to go away to college, I know my son has OSU dreams. And even locally, they can live in dorms and I can leave. They know I am only still here for them. Because nothing I do is really tied here, my job is mobile, I can go to college anywhere.
Yes football practices have started. In lots of places in this country. But you really think I’m 1 months time things will be so different that they will encourage young people to be in very close contact with tons of kids from other areas? No. I’m not trying to rain on your parade but just because practices have started doesn’t mean there will be an actual season this year. As for the rest I wish you the best. I always have on here.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I'm sorry. Its hard being somewhere that you don't really want to be. And with the pandemic right now, you can't even go back to visit. That makes it harder. I think you're making a great sacrifice for your children. You're a good mom. I know you probably don't want these 6 years to pass by quickly, because that means your children will be off to college, and not with you anymore. I'll just say, I hope the next 6 years are full of happy times and new memories for you. :)

Anonymous 2

Unread post

You BETTER stick around here, Bubbs! I can't wait to hear all of your stories about how great things are turning out for you!
Bubbs wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:51 am
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:54 pm
Bubbs wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:45 pm

I just prefer being around my family and those friends. I have great friends here, but it's not the same. Being single with only married friends in this city, they are busy and I get it.
We didn't move a lot growing up, I've know one of my best friends since I was 5. I am a creature of habit, my hair has been the same for 15+ years.
I don't want to make it sound like I hate it here and am miserable. I just prefer it there, I could see my mom more, my brothers and my SIL more. Just more people on days where I want to be around more people.
I have a life here, I've been here for 20+ years, I just think that being there would be more fun and my friends and I are going to end up living together like the Golden Girls anyway :)
Sounds great. It's good to have goals for the future.

Your details just point out more differences between us. My parents are dead. My sister lives in IL and I've never lived there ever. Our best friend we met shortly before we got married and we've spent more time since then living far apart rather than living within 1 hours drive. Another couple who's close friends, who DH was best friends with in HS, same thing - more time living far apart. So we are used to living far apart from our closest friends. And DH is just not that close with his parents/siblings to want to be close to them.

Hopefully covid will clear up soon at least to the point you can go visit your family and friends more often.
One of my brothers lives in IL and he doesn’t get the homesickness like i do. A lot of it is probably being single and missing that connection with people who love me. And my friends here absolutely are wonderful people, but there’s just something about people who have known me forever.
I spent the weekend with my best friend and Had lunch with my mom, coming home to nothing is such contrast. Not the worst, just more difficult for a few days.

It’s so interesting to read about such life differences, that is what keeps me around here. You seem to really like the life you’ve made and that is so great
Rebeccaraev2
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Are you in Oklahoma?
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Rebeccaraev2 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:12 pm
Are you in Oklahoma?
No, Indiana
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

agander2017 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:39 am I'm sorry. Its hard being somewhere that you don't really want to be. And with the pandemic right now, you can't even go back to visit. That makes it harder. I think you're making a great sacrifice for your children. You're a good mom. I know you probably don't want these 6 years to pass by quickly, because that means your children will be off to college, and not with you anymore. I'll just say, I hope the next 6 years are full of happy times and new memories for you. :)
I did go back last weekend, stayed with my best friend and briefly visited my mother. (My mom is having such a hard time with being isolated)
But the visits are short and not the same.
I will make the absolute best of my circumstances, because I’m making a choice for them. 😀
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:49 am
Yes football practices have started. In lots of places in this country. But you really think I’m 1 months time things will be so different that they will encourage young people to be in very close contact with tons of kids from other areas? No. I’m not trying to rain on your parade but just because practices have started doesn’t mean there will be an actual season this year. As for the rest I wish you the best. I always have on here.
I know things can change any second. They’ve had a few camps in the city with other kids, but there’s no telling. I am not a fan of football, but definitely don’t want to listen to my disappointed son if it stops.

Thank you for the well wishes, it’s nice to know people are rooting for me
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Bubbs wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:30 pm
agander2017 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:39 am I'm sorry. Its hard being somewhere that you don't really want to be. And with the pandemic right now, you can't even go back to visit. That makes it harder. I think you're making a great sacrifice for your children. You're a good mom. I know you probably don't want these 6 years to pass by quickly, because that means your children will be off to college, and not with you anymore. I'll just say, I hope the next 6 years are full of happy times and new memories for you. :)
I did go back last weekend, stayed with my best friend and briefly visited my mother. (My mom is having such a hard time with being isolated)
But the visits are short and not the same.
I will make the absolute best of my circumstances, because I’m making a choice for them. 😀
I'm glad you were able to go back. Everyone is having a hard time with this isolation. :( we make choices for our children. That's what we do. :)

Anonymous 5

Unread post

I can understand. I don't necessarily want to move back to where I grew up but where I was born, I'd probably do that. My family moved from there when I was 12 to a good sized city, for this part of the state anyway. I met DH, he hated the city, and eventually we moved here for his job. I regretted it less than a year in. There is nothing to do here and it's every stereotype of small town you have ever heard and a few more. I am miserable and look for any excuse to leave, which is very hard now with the pandemic.

I hope times flies and you get to move closer to your hometown.
Locked Previous topicNext topic