My annual complaint about wanting to move back to my hometown

Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I'd rather be there
But I will stay here for my kids. 6 more years here and I am 100% moving closer. It's only 100 miles, but I have so much more fun and do things there. Here I am mostly at home.
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

No bashing, I totally get wanting to be closer to home, but I’m curious. What made you move away? Why can’t you move your kids back there? Six years is a long time to be miserable.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:09 pm No bashing, I totally get wanting to be closer to home, but I’m curious. What made you move away? Why can’t you move your kids back there? Six years is a long time to be miserable.
I moved here with my 1st husband for his job.
I don't want to take the kids away from their school. My son is starting high school and he's kind of a big deal in football here.
Everyone knows him. And I like the idea of them graduating with the friends they have known forever.
I am not miserable here, just happier there.
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I can definitely relate. Is what's keeping you there your ex's proximity to the children? My DH & live where we currently live for a very long time. We stayed here so that he could easily see his children. I've always said that when the kids grow up, it's my turn. That time has come and I'm getting antsy to move closer to my hometown, too.
Bubbs wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:07 pm I'd rather be there
But I will stay here for my kids. 6 more years here and I am 100% moving closer. It's only 100 miles, but I have so much more fun and do things there. Here I am mostly at home.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Bubbs wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:12 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:09 pm No bashing, I totally get wanting to be closer to home, but I’m curious. What made you move away? Why can’t you move your kids back there? Six years is a long time to be miserable.
I don't want to take the kids away from their school. My son is starting high school and he's kind of a big deal in football here.
Everyone knows him. And I like the idea of them graduating with the friends they have known forever.
Do you get to visit home often?
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:12 pm
Bubbs wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:12 pm
Do you get to visit home often?
Before the pandemic, I was going at least every other month.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:12 pm I can definitely relate. Is what's keeping you there your ex's proximity to the children? My DH & live where we currently live for a very long time. We stayed here so that he could easily see his children. I've always said that when the kids grow up, it's my turn. That time has come and I'm getting antsy to move closer to my hometown, too.
Some of it is that and then the rest is keeping them in school and in the programs that they are in, with their friends.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I can't relate. I think I'm just different that way. My mom moved us around a lot when I was growing up so even the concept of a "hometown"... I don't have just one town I can call my hometown. It's more complicated than that.
And then even since DH and I got married, the longest we stayed in one house has been 8 years. We've been married 21 years.

Moving is like an adventure to me. Every time I've moved, yeah there was a bit of an adjustment, but after adjustment I've never wished I was back where I was. I've always found happiness where I am.
I'm also the type to want to change things up in general. I'm regularly buying new clothes and getting rid of clothes as I reevaluate and change my style. I rarely have the same hair style for more than a couple years.

I hope you can find a way to find happiness over the next 6 years.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:18 pm I can't relate. I think I'm just different that way. My mom moved us around a lot when I was growing up so even the concept of a "hometown"... I don't have just one town I can call my hometown. It's more complicated than that.
And then even since DH and I got married, the longest we stayed in one house has been 8 years. We've been married 21 years.

Moving is like an adventure to me. Every time I've moved, yeah there was a bit of an adjustment, but after adjustment I've never wished I was back where I was. I've always found happiness where I am.
I'm also the type to want to change things up in general. I'm regularly buying new clothes and getting rid of clothes as I reevaluate and change my style. I rarely have the same hair style for more than a couple years.

I hope you can find a way to find happiness over the next 6 years.
I just prefer being around my family and those friends. I have great friends here, but it's not the same. Being single with only married friends in this city, they are busy and I get it.
We didn't move a lot growing up, I've know one of my best friends since I was 5. I am a creature of habit, my hair has been the same for 15+ years.
I don't want to make it sound like I hate it here and am miserable. I just prefer it there, I could see my mom more, my brothers and my SIL more. Just more people on days where I want to be around more people.
I have a life here, I've been here for 20+ years, I just think that being there would be more fun and my friends and I are going to end up living together like the Golden Girls anyway :)
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

May the time go fast for you. I don't remember you making this thread last year.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Locked Previous topicNext topic