Doctors really shouldn't piss off nurses

Anonymous 5

Unread post

I always thought that, too (re: that nurses were great sources for much medical advice). And I also have a lot of respect for the nurses that I know. But the nurses that I know don't sound anything like the nurses on this site. They just seem to really be full of themselves on here. I'm glad it seems to only be here that that's the case.
Pjmm wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:26 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:37 pm I agree that this guy is a jerk. And I can't believe that any employer would tolerate this behavior.

That said, ever since I've been on this site, I get the feeling that there are many nurses who have an over-inflated sense of their worth? IRL, I never got that feeling. But on here, I get the feeling that many nurses think they are the bomb. Do most nurses IRL think they're the bomb???
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:38 pm We have a new resident at work. He is totally rude to all the nurses. He even told one nurse to shut her mouth because he was a doctor and if he wanted the opinion of a glorified butt wiper that he would ask.

That is completely unacceptable. I don't think he realized how much respect people lost for him or that he has made his life harder.

It is hilarious to see the nurses call him and ask for all orders. They can write some of them on their own but they aren't required to. Now he is having to write all his own orders. Last night I heard he was called several times while on call for orders. He is pissed and wanting the nurses to "just do their job and stop bitching".

If his attitude doesn't change I don't think he will make it through the program. It is absolutely stupid to piss off the nurses. They make or break your day as a doctor.
Not my bff. Although I personally think for medical advice she is the bomb. But in general I have a lot of respect for nurses.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:00 pm He and the nurses pulling that crap need to be brought into line immediately or fired. This is just more proof what a joke the medical industry is now and no, nurses don't make or break anything for anyone.
Why would the nurses be fired for not doing anything wrong?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:12 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:25 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:19 pm What garbage medical center do you work for that that is allowed?
I work in a great facility. It is the best hospital in my state and in the top 10 in the country. This kind of stuff happens all over.
I have many friends and family in the healthcare field and not a single one of them works in a facility that allows residents to speak to staff like that. Do they try? Sometimes, but they are promptly shown the door. My aunt is a charge nurse and one time heard a resident speaking rudely to a nurse, she immediately put him in his place and told him if he ever spoke to anyone like that again he would be out of that hospital so fast his head would spin. Getting terminated means they are not board eligible, so they always cut the crap. Nurses are not just left to solve things like that with a cold shoulder.
The resident had consequences. I'm not sure what they were because that isn't public knowledge.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:28 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:28 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:19 pm What garbage medical center do you work for that that is allowed?
omg, the world is about to end as we know it...holy hell I actually agree with you here. First time for everything!
My first thought was this never happened, then my second thought was if this did happen it must shit hole place to work.
I also am having a ton of doubt that this place is "top ten in the country" if a new resident is having nurses write orders. Nurses don't just write orders on their own, they do it under the direction of a physician, and residents typically do not have nurses write their orders for them because writing orders one of the ways that residents are evaluated for their knowledge. Someone toward the end of the residency, maybe, but a new resident who just started in the past month? No. They would be told to write their own orders no matter what their attitude is at any decent place.
Nurses write orders all the time. Look up CPOs or standing orders.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:48 pm I always thought that, too (re: that nurses were great sources for much medical advice). And I also have a lot of respect for the nurses that I know. But the nurses that I know don't sound anything like the nurses on this site. They just seem to really be full of themselves on here. I'm glad it seems to only be here that that's the case.
Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:37 pm I agree that this guy is a jerk. And I can't believe that any employer would tolerate this behavior.

That said, ever since I've been on this site, I get the feeling that there are many nurses who have an over-inflated sense of their worth? IRL, I never got that feeling. But on here, I get the feeling that many nurses think they are the bomb. Do most nurses IRL think they're the bomb???

Not my bff. Although I personally think for medical advice she is the bomb. But in general I have a lot of respect for nurses.
It's MC. We're all full of ourselves lol.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:39 pm
Anonymous 6 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:40 pm

I have any friends and family in the healthcare field and not a single one of them works in a facility that allows residents to speak to staff like that. Do they try? Sometimes, but they are promptly shown the door. My aunt is a charge nurse and one time heard a resident speaking rudely to a nurse, she immediately put him in his place and told him if he ever spoke to anyone like that again he would be out of that hospital so fast his head would spin. Getting terminated means they are not board eligible, so they always cut the crap. Nurses are not just left to solve things like that with a cold shoulder.
You contradicted yourself.
Where...
Are they promptly shown the door? Or counseled?

Or maybe I misunderstood: are you saying your aunt works in a garbage facility like the op?
Anonymous 5

Unread post

:lol:
Pjmm wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:18 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:48 pm I always thought that, too (re: that nurses were great sources for much medical advice). And I also have a lot of respect for the nurses that I know. But the nurses that I know don't sound anything like the nurses on this site. They just seem to really be full of themselves on here. I'm glad it seems to only be here that that's the case.

It's MC. We're all full of ourselves lol.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:14 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:28 pm

omg, the world is about to end as we know it...holy hell I actually agree with you here. First time for everything!
My first thought was this never happened, then my second thought was if this did happen it must shit hole place to work.
I also am having a ton of doubt that this place is "top ten in the country" if a new resident is having nurses write orders. Nurses don't just write orders on their own, they do it under the direction of a physician, and residents typically do not have nurses write their orders for them because writing orders one of the ways that residents are evaluated for their knowledge. Someone toward the end of the residency, maybe, but a new resident who just started in the past month? No. They would be told to write their own orders no matter what their attitude is at any decent place.
I am fully aware of what standing orders are, which is why I know that no decent hospital is having a nurse write a brand new residents orders. Do nurses write orders? Sure, I said that in my response. Do they write them for new residents or without physician input? No. Not at any decent facility.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:12 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:25 pm

I work in a great facility. It is the best hospital in my state and in the top 10 in the country. This kind of stuff happens all over.
I have many friends and family in the healthcare field and not a single one of them works in a facility that allows residents to speak to staff like that. Do they try? Sometimes, but they are promptly shown the door. My aunt is a charge nurse and one time heard a resident speaking rudely to a nurse, she immediately put him in his place and told him if he ever spoke to anyone like that again he would be out of that hospital so fast his head would spin. Getting terminated means they are not board eligible, so they always cut the crap. Nurses are not just left to solve things like that with a cold shoulder.
The resident had consequences. I'm not sure what they were because that isn't public knowledge.
And yet he continues to be rude to "all of the nurses"? No, not at any decent facility. He would be terminated.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:30 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:14 pm

I am fully aware of what standing orders are, which is why I know that no decent hospital is having a nurse write a brand new residents orders. Do nurses write orders? Sure, I said that in my response. Do they write them for new residents or without physician input? No. Not at any decent facility.
You are confused. Look it up. You don't need input from a doctor to write a standing order or CPO. That's the whole point of them. Nurses can just write them on their own.
Locked Previous topicNext topic