My kids won't be able to see their dad this summer

madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:58 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:54 pm This smells like the usual summer time kids can't see dad for x, y, z reasons with the Covid twist but I'll play. I can't imagine being worried about what school officials think is best. None of them are doctors. Most parents who want schools to open are only wanting that because God forbid they have to help with remote learning. I have never seen complaints like I did about school until the school work went fully online. Parents have been pulling out all the stops, "online school is too hard, I can't help, my kids need their peers for their mental health. Oh, and I have to work and I can't do that if school is out". Please. What do you think will happen when the virus runs through schools and they close again? Most aren't thinking of that yet.
I have no problem helping them. I helped DS a lot last year for hours a day. I can work just fine while they are home or at school. You are making assumptions.

If the school closes we will go back but we will cross that bridge when and if that happens.
I am in no way putting my special needs daughter online. It took us 6 hours every day to do one class.
She was crying, frustrated, and didn't even understand her work.
I won't lie we copied and pasted a lot towards the end.
Her iep wasn't followed and the school didn't even have permission until 2 weeks before the semester was over.
I've already contacted a lawyer and quit a few of us special needs parents are going to sue them if they put the kids back online.
If annoy doesn't like it she can bite me.
i want candy!
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:20 pm
Anonymous 4 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:54 pm This smells like the usual summer time kids can't see dad for x, y, z reasons with the Covid twist but I'll play. I can't imagine being worried about what school officials think is best. None of them are doctors. Most parents who want schools to open are only wanting that because God forbid they have to help with remote learning. I have never seen complaints like I did about school until the school work went fully online. Parents have been pulling out all the stops, "online school is too hard, I can't help, my kids need their peers for their mental health. Oh, and I have to work and I can't do that if school is out". Please. What do you think will happen when the virus runs through schools and they close again? Most aren't thinking of that yet.
And the concerns about online learning, working, and the children's mental health are completely valid ones. Yds has been snappy, anxious and sarcastic lately. He finally started eating better but for a while he didn't. He's not been able to see his counselor since March. She can see him in person finally. I've no dog in this myself but I can well understand the desperation some parents feel. Online schooling doesn't always run smoothly. Some parents are essential workers and everyone suffers. And we all worry about covid-19. As far as the op the father could take time off perhaps and come to see his kids. I find it hard to believe school was pushed up. Ours was pushed back to have time to prepare.
We start on Thursday. Its a full 2 weeks before our usual start date but we're starting fully online and they gave us the option to eventually send them back to school in 9 weeks or stay 100% online. We can change from one to the other at any time (with notice). And online schooling is supposed to be very structured and interactive.
The in person schooling will be pushed back as far as they need to.
I'm actually happy with the way they're handling it all. Spring time was terrible but they spent all summer working on the back to school plan.

I hope it all works out well and my boys adjust quickly.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

How much notice did the school give about pushing up the start date?
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:38 pm School just pushed up the date so the kids are starting next week. They were supposed to go see their dad for a couple weeks at the end of summer like every other year. Now that isn't going to happen.

They pushed up the date to give extra time for everyone to adjust and because so much school was missed last year.

My ex is infuriated. He didn't even believe me at first even though I showed him the school website. He thinks that the kids should just do online school so they still can go see him. That isn't what they want or what is best for them. DS really struggled with online classes. They were even talking about making him repeat the year. He doesn't want to have to do that again and prefers to sit in a classroom with his teachers.

DD did okay with online classes but her mental health has really gone downhill during this pandemic. She needs to be around her peers and have we much normalcy as possible.

My ex talked about the school situation in depth multiple times and both agreed that the kids would benefit more from going to school.

I told him that we would just have to make up the time later and he still is not okay with it. I know he is upset about it and he has every right to be but it isn't anyone's fault.

The kids are bummed also but know this is for the best.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

He'll get over it! My kids don't get to see their dad this summer either, they most likely won't see him until next summer. He has been whiny about it but I'm not putting them on a plane in the middle of a pandemic.
Locked Previous topicNext topic