S/O I have 50/50 custody and no one is the primary parent

Anonymous 1

Unread post

14 years
Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:03 pm That's really great that it's working well for you both. How many years have you been divorced?
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:51 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:50 am It's great when two can work it out amicably. I'm curious, though, how does it work for tax purposes? Who claims the children? Do you just alternate that from year to year?

Yes we alternate. I have even years and he has odd years
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 7 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:02 pm The same argument can be applied to married couples. Sure my husband and I share our children 50/50 but there are and will continue to be times when one of us makes a decision and the other will be opposed. Period. So what should we do? Go to court? Go to mediation? It’s ridiculous.
Mediation is an option but you should be able to talk it out and compromise before it even comes to that.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Bubbs wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:52 pm On paper we have 50/50 custody. But I am listed as the custodial parent. I don't know what would happen if I wasn't primary or if we were equal. Do you have to run all things by each other? That is more communication than either of us would prefer.
No we don't run all things by each other but we do talk when needed. I have no problem communicating with him.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:52 pm Primary custody(custodial parent) where i live, just means the kids use one address as their main address. There are many different school districts in our area so the kids need a primary address to sign up for school. Both addresses can be listed on school forms but one is primary and one is secondary. This is also true on the court papers. The parents can still have a week on/week off but if the non custodial parent lives outside of the others school district it is their responsibility to get the kids to and from school on their time. They both still have the same rights no matter if it's 50/50 or not.
We don't have that here. Both of our addresses are listed on everything one is not over the other.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:17 pm Ok....good for you? Eventually there will be an issue and neither of you will want to give. Try your not so humble brag on that day.
I am not going to say it is impossible for that to happen but I highly doubt that. We have always been able to talk and compromise and now that the kids are older it makes things even easier. Talking about having 50/50 custody isn't a brag in the first place.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:22 pm
Anonymous 8 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:52 pm Primary custody(custodial parent) where i live, just means the kids use one address as their main address. There are many different school districts in our area so the kids need a primary address to sign up for school. Both addresses can be listed on school forms but one is primary and one is secondary. This is also true on the court papers. The parents can still have a week on/week off but if the non custodial parent lives outside of the others school district it is their responsibility to get the kids to and from school on their time. They both still have the same rights no matter if it's 50/50 or not.
We don't have that here. Both of our addresses are listed on everything one is not over the other.
LOL!! You cannot put 2 addresses in ONE spot on a form. You write them over each other? Someone's address is listed first...That's just a fact.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:55 pm
LOL!! You cannot put 2 addresses in ONE spot on a form. You write them over each other? Someone's address is listed first...That's just a fact.
The forms never had one spot. There is no primary address. Both are listed. There is no first or second address.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Often times however there is no compromise. It’s simply that one parent gets their way and the other concedes. That’s fact. Sometimes he will win, sometimes she will. So it matters not if one is married or divorced. That was my point.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:19 pm
Anonymous 7 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:02 pm The same argument can be applied to married couples. Sure my husband and I share our children 50/50 but there are and will continue to be times when one of us makes a decision and the other will be opposed. Period. So what should we do? Go to court? Go to mediation? It’s ridiculous.
Mediation is an option but you should be able to talk it out and compromise before it even comes to that.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:57 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:55 pm

The forms never had one spot. There is no primary address. Both are listed. There is no first or second address.
Even if a form has multiple spots for addresses 1 address has to be listed first. Please tell me how a person lists 2 addresses simultaneously. You will either have:

128 Main St. Redwood CT 451 Jones Rd. Redwood CT
OR
128 Main St.
451 Jones Rd.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Even in marriages one parent sometimes overrules the other. In mine usually I made the decisions for the kids. Especially yds. I discussed it with the ex and usually he agreed. The only time we didn't agree was on adhd meds for ds. But neither did my ex stop me. This is hard now because the courts aren't always open. But still someone has to prevail. The kids, as in the other post, just can't not go to school.
Locked Previous topicNext topic