Back to School policy for Daughter's College Sucks

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

My daughter's college has just announced their plans for semester (starts in two weeks).

All students who live on campus (vast majority of students) will need to be tested prior to arrival and will not be allowed to leave campus once on - end of semester is now Thanksgiving.

Students who do not wish to return to campus may take their classes online. HOWEVER, and this is what is difficult for my daughter, students who opt for online learning must be residing with a parent or guardian.

So my daughter who lives (and works) off campus, needs to either move onto campus at a cost of over $6000 for the semester or move home while still paying the remainder of the lease on her apartment as well as losing her job. My daughter's college is about 4 hours from our home.

I believe we can work around it but it will mean at least a bit of lying and I'm not comfortable with that.

I realize that all schools are coming up with the best plans they can. This is just a vent because I'm frustrated.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
lauren08
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Wow... that’s really crazy! I don’t understand why they would mandate that a college student HAS to be living with a parent? It’s not like they are 6 years old. Best of luck to your daughter. I hope you’ll be able to figure something out. That sounds really frustrating.

My oldest daughter will be a college freshman at Tulane this fall. They have been told that they must present a negative COVID-19 result before being allowed to move into dorms. They have to participate in a daily symptom self-monitoring program and wear face masks when they go to classes. They are doing a hybrid of in-person and online classes, but in-person classrooms will have limits on student numbers as well as plexiglass barriers. Students who feel they can’t return at all can do classes online. All in-person instruction will end at Thanksgiving to minimize travel risk. It seems like they are taking all the right precautions, but with a large student population, who knows what will happen.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Damn, it does sound like a tough decision to make.
It seems like on campus would be the most practical choice, the one easier for her. But then there’s the cost and her lease. Maybe this is a stupid question, I don’t know how it works, but could she sublet?
What about her job? Would she lose it too if she lives on campus?
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:51 pm Damn, it does sound like a tough decision to make.
It seems like on campus would be the most practical choice, the one easier for her. But then there’s the cost and her lease. Maybe this is a stupid question, I don’t know how it works, but could she sublet?
She's currently renting a house with four other people. She could probably find someone to move in in her place but the cost of on campus living is really cost prohibitive for her. She would have to give up her job as it is off campus and the school is not allowing students to leave campus for any reason during the truncated semester.

One of her roommates is her boyfriend who graduated in May so that makes it also "inconvenient".

I think the policy has been set to encourage students to move onto campus as that's where the college makes most of their money. Living off campus is challenging even during "normal times". Last year she had to go through a whole panel approval process before being allowed to move including a letter from us (her parents) agreeing despite the fact that she was 22 at the time. Our daughter is now 23 and this is her last semester.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

lauren08 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:51 pm Wow... that’s really crazy! I don’t understand why they would mandate that a college student HAS to be living with a parent? It’s not like they are 6 years old. Best of luck to your daughter. I hope you’ll be able to figure something out. That sounds really frustrating.

My oldest daughter will be a college freshman at Tulane this fall. They have been told that they must present a negative COVID-19 result before being allowed to move into dorms. They have to participate in a daily symptom self-monitoring program and wear face masks when they go to classes. They are doing a hybrid of in-person and online classes, but in-person classrooms will have limits on student numbers as well as plexiglass barriers. Students who feel they can’t return at all can do classes online. All in-person instruction will end at Thanksgiving to minimize travel risk. It seems like they are taking all the right precautions, but with a large student population, who knows what will happen.
Tulane is a wonderful university! I'm sure your daughter will have a great time. My daughter has friends at Tulane and has been impressed by their back to school plan.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I agree. That’s what it sounds like. Which is sad, because this isn’t the time to take advantage of an already difficult situation, that sucks.
Could it be possible for her to find a job near your area?
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:05 pm
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:51 pm Damn, it does sound like a tough decision to make.
She's currently renting a house with four other people. She could probably find someone to move in in her place but the cost of on campus living is really cost prohibitive for her. She would have to give up her job as it is off campus and the school is not allowing students to leave campus for any reason during the truncated semester.

One of her roommates is her boyfriend who graduated in May so that makes it also "inconvenient".

I think the policy has been set to encourage students to move onto campus as that's where the college makes most of their money. Living off campus is challenging even during "normal times". Last year she had to go through a whole panel approval process before being allowed to move including a letter from us (her parents) agreeing despite the fact that she was 22 at the time. Our daughter is now 23 and this is her last semester.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Deleted User 670

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:42 pm My daughter's college has just announced their plans for semester (starts in two weeks).

All students who live on campus (vast majority of students) will need to be tested prior to arrival and will not be allowed to leave campus once on - end of semester is now Thanksgiving.

Students who do not wish to return to campus may take their classes online. HOWEVER, and this is what is difficult for my daughter, students who opt for online learning must be residing with a parent or guardian.

So my daughter who lives (and works) off campus, needs to either move onto campus at a cost of over $6000 for the semester or move home while still paying the remainder of the lease on her apartment as well as losing her job. My daughter's college is about 4 hours from our home.

I believe we can work around it but it will mean at least a bit of lying and I'm not comfortable with that.

I realize that all schools are coming up with the best plans they can. This is just a vent because I'm frustrated.
This is a stupid policy. I'd have no qualms lying.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I would lie too....surely the school doesnt tell the truth about everything either
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:20 pm I agree. That’s what it sounds like. Which is sad, because this isn’t the time to take advantage of an already difficult situation, that sucks.
Could it be possible for her to find a job near your area?
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:05 pm

She already is doing free lance work for people in our area so could absolutely support herself (while living at home) if she needed to move back. I could probably find a job for her boyfriend as well. Logistically it would be an issue. She and her boyfriend made the decision to move into our house in November and we are working on a self-contained studio apartment for them. Leaving their current rental (their lease is up in December) and moving into our house early would be challenging! The studio won't be ready until Nov/Dec at best.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

What is her major and what classes does she have remaining? If she has things like clinical labs she is probably much better off finishing on campus. If she’s an English major, then I would just stay with my bf in his off campus apartment while technically living at your place.....
Locked Previous topicNext topic