Back to School policy for Daughter's College Sucks

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:58 pm What is her major and what classes does she have remaining? If she has things like clinical labs she is probably much better off finishing on campus. If she’s an English major, then I would just stay with my bf in his off campus apartment while technically living at your place.....
She's a double major - poly sci and mass comm. She just has a poly sci thesis, honor's thesis, and two other fill classes to complete her degrees so no in person necessary.

We're leaning towards just signing a statement that she is living with us. I'm a rule follower so it hurts!
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 2

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:03 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:58 pm What is her major and what classes does she have remaining? If she has things like clinical labs she is probably much better off finishing on campus. If she’s an English major, then I would just stay with my bf in his off campus apartment while technically living at your place.....
She's a double major - poly sci and mass comm. She just has a poly sci thesis, honor's thesis, and two other fill classes to complete her degrees so no in person necessary.

We're leaning towards just signing a statement that she is living with us. I'm a rule follower so it hurts!
Just tell her she needs to come home frequently and make sure she changes her mailing address.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

If you aren't currently employed, tell your daughter that you're moving in! That'll satisfy the "you must live with a parent or guardian" part of the policy! Could be a fun semester!!! LOL
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:42 pm My daughter's college has just announced their plans for semester (starts in two weeks).

All students who live on campus (vast majority of students) will need to be tested prior to arrival and will not be allowed to leave campus once on - end of semester is now Thanksgiving.

Students who do not wish to return to campus may take their classes online. HOWEVER, and this is what is difficult for my daughter, students who opt for online learning must be residing with a parent or guardian.

So my daughter who lives (and works) off campus, needs to either move onto campus at a cost of over $6000 for the semester or move home while still paying the remainder of the lease on her apartment as well as losing her job. My daughter's college is about 4 hours from our home.

I believe we can work around it but it will mean at least a bit of lying and I'm not comfortable with that.

I realize that all schools are coming up with the best plans they can. This is just a vent because I'm frustrated.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:24 pm If you aren't currently employed, tell your daughter that you're moving in! That'll satisfy the "you must live with a parent or guardian" part of the policy! Could be a fun semester!!! LOL
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:42 pm My daughter's college has just announced their plans for semester (starts in two weeks).

All students who live on campus (vast majority of students) will need to be tested prior to arrival and will not be allowed to leave campus once on - end of semester is now Thanksgiving.

Students who do not wish to return to campus may take their classes online. HOWEVER, and this is what is difficult for my daughter, students who opt for online learning must be residing with a parent or guardian.

So my daughter who lives (and works) off campus, needs to either move onto campus at a cost of over $6000 for the semester or move home while still paying the remainder of the lease on her apartment as well as losing her job. My daughter's college is about 4 hours from our home.

I believe we can work around it but it will mean at least a bit of lying and I'm not comfortable with that.

I realize that all schools are coming up with the best plans they can. This is just a vent because I'm frustrated.
We joked about my doing this! I am employed and if I weren't, DH and our son would probably have an issue with the plan.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 3

Unread post

lol. Good luck to you and your daughter! I hope everything works out OK for her.
WellPreserved wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:28 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:24 pm If you aren't currently employed, tell your daughter that you're moving in! That'll satisfy the "you must live with a parent or guardian" part of the policy! Could be a fun semester!!! LOL

We joked about my doing this! I am employed and if I weren't, DH and our son would probably have an issue with the plan.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

This is why it is important to pick a good university.
Locked Previous topicNext topic