I had to fire two of my favorite employees

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My company has a very strict no dating policy. There was a lawsuit years ago and after that they put the policy in place.

Two people in my department announced they were dating. Upper management found out and told me I had to fire them. The employee said they didn't think the rule was serious. She was crying and begging me not to. We were pretty close friends but I know that is never going to be the same again.

I knew she kind of liked him but I didn't think she would go against the rules like that. I hate the whole situation. I hate the stupid policy and I hate that I had to be involved in any of this.
Rebeccaraev2
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Oh well, it’s a policy for a reason. They chose to violate it.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

What was the lawsuit about? And couldn't they have just said oh we broke up and dated in secret?
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:00 pm My company has a very strict no dating policy. There was a lawsuit years ago and after that they put the policy in place.

Two people in my department announced they were dating. Upper management found out and told me I had to fire them. The employee said they didn't think the rule was serious. She was crying and begging me not to. We were pretty close friends but I know that is never going to be the same again.

I knew she kind of liked him but I didn't think she would go against the rules like that. I hate the whole situation. I hate the stupid policy and I hate that I had to be involved in any of this.
Why would she think it wasn't a serious rule?
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
lauren08
Regent
Regent

Unread post

She knowingly violated the policy. That is a policy that exists in a lot of workplaces, especially to prevent favoritism if it is a relationship between a manager and subordinate. My workplace requires that you disclose any romantic relationships in the workplace. People have been fired for not doing so.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

lauren08 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:22 pm She knowingly violated the policy. That is a policy that exists in a lot of workplaces, especially to prevent favoritism if it is a relationship between a manager and subordinate. My workplace requires that you disclose any romantic relationships in the workplace. People have been fired for not doing so.
I have always been subject to a disclosure requirement to prevent nepotism, but never an absolute ban. DH and I worked at the same firm for many years.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I met my husband at work. We worked for a federal agency. The policy there is that if one is more senior than the other the junior partner can't report to the senior partner, they must work in different branches. Is this a small company?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Can't one just quit?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:06 pm What was the lawsuit about? And couldn't they have just said oh we broke up and dated in secret?
Two employees dated. The relationship ended badly and one of the people sued the company saying they allowed an abuse of power and other things. If they didn't tell anyone they were dating and no one ever found out then it wouldn't have been an issue.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:12 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:00 pm My company has a very strict no dating policy. There was a lawsuit years ago and after that they put the policy in place.

Why would she think it wasn't a serious rule?
I honestly have no idea. It has always been enforced.
Locked Previous topicNext topic