Failing by one point is still failing

Anonymous 2

Unread post

By the time a young adult is in college, he shouldn't be depending on the professor to keep him abreast of his grades. If the young adult is too stupid or lazy to take advantage of every opportunity to earn extra credit, he's got no business crying about his grade AFTER the fact.

This is the problem these days...Rather than the parent telling the kid that he earned the grade he earned, we've got parents riding in on their big white horses...defending their child's "right to pass the class." Bullshit. Raising entitled children...one child at a time.
Olioxenfree wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:46 pm Depends on how much involvement was had with this student through the year. My husband adjunt teaches at a community college. He understands that his students come from all different places in life and he genuinely wants them to succeed. Yes, they have to put in the work and show that they know it, but he feels it's part of his job to help them grow and get there.

He monitors his students grades throughout the semester and reaches out if they are having trouble. If they are in that marginal area where a couple points could get them to the next GPA level, he makes sure to reach out and tell them all of their options to improve their grade. No matter their grade, he gives a lot of feedback and has regular virtual office sessions.

I don't know how you teach and how involved you are with your students. I will say that the "I didn't really want to but they frown on you not meeting with students" comment didn't give me the sense that you are super involved. You do not have to be super involved, it is not required, not everyone has to teach the same way. But, adjunct professors conventionally don't get paid well. Many universities hire adjuncts because it's so much cheaper. My husband has a separate full time job, he adjuncts because he enjoys it and it gives us a little extra fun money, not because it's a job that pays bank. So, if your university does pay adjuncts well, it must be some great university and it can't be cheap to go there. So, I can understand a student feeling frustrated if they are failing by one point after not getting a lot of involvement from their professor and only one opportunity to make three points one time during the semester. Her mother's actions were not okay, but I can understand the students point of view based on the sense your post gave me.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

It sucks but that’s the way it is.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You did the right thing by not passing the student. Especially once mommy got involved. That's a huge let peeve of mine, when parents come to the child's rescue like that after they are out of high school.

But your title alone reminded me of a time that I got away with it. I was 16 and taking my behind the wheel test to get my license. Overall did well. Made a.couple minor errors that.resulted in losing a point or two. But I was very nervous and made one big mistake that got a lot of points off. I'm the end I was below passing by one or two points. He passed me anyway because he could tell it was due to my nerves. I didn't even ask for it, he just automatically did it. Maybe being young and cute and sweet worked in my favor. LOL
Locked Previous topicNext topic