BM isn't letting my step kids to to school

Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 13 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:22 am
Anonymous 10 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:13 am You're putting refined sugar and tree climbing in the same category as Covid-19 and suggesting that she's the moron??? Hmmmmmmm.....
Anonymous 6 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:28 pm You’re a complete moron if you think any decision in life should be motivated by “exclusively safety.” Let’s shut down every amusement park in the world, outlaw all sports, prohibit children from climbing trees, ban refined sugar......should I continue?

A virus with a 99.8% survival rate. Very very scary! Better wear a hazmat suit when you go out so you don't catch that severe cold! All of you need to get a grip already and stop perpetuating this fear of nothing into your children.
It's not dying that worries me. It's the neurological affects some report that do.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

I was a "Little Goody Two Shoes" when I was in school. But I loved school. So, if I were one of these kids and I was a junior or senior in high school, I'd be getting myself to school one way or another despite what ANYBODY said. I actually think that if either parent called the school and told them not to allow the kids to attend, the school would ignore them! LOL I think they'd let the kid in!

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that if a court was involved, the court favored the child's wants!

Valentina327 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:18 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:56 am Even though they really want to she won't let them. She said she refuses to drive them and said that DH can't take them either. She feels it is unsafe.

We haven't had any positive cases in our area. Sure there is some risk but it isn't huge. The kids have begged her to let them go even if it is just the hybrid plan which involves going to school for 2 or 3 half days a week. She said no to that also.

Now they are wanting DH to take it to court but there is no way that will happen by September 1st. I feel bad for the kids. They are in high school and I feel like they are old enough to be able to have an input. I just feel bad for them because they have been looking forward to school and now it's not happening.
He can't file an emergency order? That usually gets you in front of a judge in 48 hours. I'd think children being deprived of their education would count as an emergency.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

Refined sugar and Tree Climbing = Covid-19 😂
Anonymous 10 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:13 am You're putting refined sugar and tree climbing in the same category as Covid-19 and suggesting that she's the moron??? Hmmmmmmm.....
Anonymous 6 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:28 pm You’re a complete moron if you think any decision in life should be motivated by “exclusively safety.” Let’s shut down every amusement park in the world, outlaw all sports, prohibit children from climbing trees, ban refined sugar......should I continue?

A virus with a 99.8% survival rate. Very very scary! Better wear a hazmat suit when you go out so you don't catch that severe cold! All of you need to get a grip already and stop perpetuating this fear of nothing into your children.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:23 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:56 am Even though they really want to she won't let them. She said she refuses to drive them and said that DH can't take them either. She feels it is unsafe.

We haven't had any positive cases in our area. Sure there is some risk but it isn't huge. The kids have begged her to let them go even if it is just the hybrid plan which involves going to school for 2 or 3 half days a week. She said no to that also.

Now they are wanting DH to take it to court but there is no way that will happen by September 1st. I feel bad for the kids. They are in high school and I feel like they are old enough to be able to have an input. I just feel bad for them because they have been looking forward to school and now it's not happening.
He can't file an emergency order? That usually gets you in front of a judge in 48 hours. I'd think children being deprived of their education would count as an emergency.
They are NOT being deprived of an education just because they aren't going to a brick and mortar building. Online schooling is still getting an education.
It's not the same as going to a school, first. There's a huge aspect of social interaction that's missing, which a parent that's homeschooling will have to put effort into making a plan to insure they have that. School is where we learn how to interact in society as adults.

Second, most random people aren't necessarily qualified to take on educating their children. There's a difference between someone who wants to home school their kids and someone just keeping them home out of fear. Homeschooling takes preparation.

Someone who truly believes in homeschooling is going to put forth the effort and go the extra mile. They're going to research and know what they're doing. They're going to prepare a whole program.

Someone just suddenly keeping them home may not be capable of putting in the same effort. There are many people that believe the school should be responsible for everything, so they have the attitude that the online learning should just be a "set it and forget it" type of mechanism. There's a lot of parents that aren't even that diligent about helping with homework.

A child's education is going to suffer unless they have a fully engaged, committed parent overseeing things. Homeschooling is a lot of work. A parent doing this by default isn't as likely to put forth the same effort as a parent actually committed to and believing in the process with a solid plan in place.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Anonymous 6

Unread post

I’m pretty sure refined sugar claims many more lives than Covid.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:15 pm Yes, it means nothing to me. Everything has opened prematurely, so no, I don’t trust that their motivation is exclusively safety. They are considero no other factors to make those recommendations.
And ultimately, the school will make the final choice taking into account the factors relevant to them, not general guidelines for a whole country. They have the added responsibility of having some out of town and international students in a dorm and they have to ensure their health and safety first.
If in a month they decide it’s safe to open the school for actual classes even for out-of-towners then I will trust that they’re doing it because it’s safe.

Anonymous 10

Unread post

Totally understand. I have a young niece who is still recovering from it. I hope she fully recovers, but to look at her these days, it's a little hard for us to believe that she will. :(
Pjmm wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:28 am

It's not dying that worries me. It's the neurological affects some report that do.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

😂
Anonymous 6 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:42 am I’m pretty sure refined sugar claims many more lives than Covid.

Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 10 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:34 am I was a "Little Goody Two Shoes" when I was in school. But I loved school. So, if I were one of these kids and I was a junior or senior in high school, I'd be getting myself to school one way or another despite what ANYBODY said. I actually think that if either parent called the school and told them not to allow the kids to attend, the school would ignore them! LOL I think they'd let the kid in!

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that if a court was involved, the court favored the child's wants!

LOL
When I was in grammar school I used to be ready to go back right after Christmas, while break was still going. I still remember being in about second grade asking my ma when I could go back. I must have asked a few too many times, and my mother in exasperation says to me "They're not there! Do you want to go to school with the janitor?!" To which I of course responded with "yes!" :lol:

I would have probably found a way to get to school too if I was any older teen and my parents were trying to hold me back.

You bring up an interesting point - I wonder what would happen if a kid went but their parents didn't want them to. What is a school able to do? An interesting inversion of the usual rebellion!
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:42 am I’m pretty sure refined sugar claims many more lives than Covid.

More people have died in the US from covid than the Vietnam War, so I doubt more people have died from refined sugar than Covid in the last 6 months that this has been tracked. The VW claimed 58,200 US lives.. Covid has claimed 698K worldwide and 157K just in the US in a short span of 6 months.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Anonymous 10

Unread post

I agree with everything you said. But man! I feel so bad for anyone with kids in school these days. What a pain in the ass! I honestly don't know what I'd do (as a parent) and I"m glad that I didn't have to make this sort of a decision. I was the kid who loved school. I'd want to be there. And I probably would have felt really ripped off if I would have been denied that in-school socialization and activity in my junior and senior year. Honestly, I think if this would have happened when I was in school and either of my parents told me that I couldn't go to school, I would probably have defied them and gone anyway! I could just see me hiring an attorney to plea my case! lol. But on the other hand...I have a young niece who had been hospitalized for weeks with this Covid-19. TBH, I'm surprised she is still with us.

For whatever reason, Covid-19 doesn't affect every person the same way. And I know that some have alluded to it not really affecting children but I've seen differently. I've seen it take a very active/athletic young girl and almost snatch her life. So...I don't know what the answer is. I think all we can do is the best we can do. Do your own research, weigh the risks, and decide from there. The "choice" will be different for everyone. This sucks!
Valentina327 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:40 am
Anonymous 9 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:23 am

They are NOT being deprived of an education just because they aren't going to a brick and mortar building. Online schooling is still getting an education.
It's not the same as going to a school, first. There's a huge aspect of social interaction that's missing, which a parent that's homeschooling will have to put effort into making a plan to insure they have that. School is where we learn how to interact in society as adults.

Second, most random people aren't necessarily qualified to take on educating their children. There's a difference between someone who wants to home school their kids and someone just keeping them home out of fear. Homeschooling takes preparation.

Someone who truly believes in homeschooling is going to put forth the effort and go the extra mile. They're going to research and know what they're doing. They're going to prepare a whole program.

Someone just suddenly keeping them home may not be capable of putting in the same effort. There are many people that believe the school should be responsible for everything, so they have the attitude that the online learning should just be a "set it and forget it" type of mechanism. There's a lot of parents that aren't even that diligent about helping with homework.

A child's education is going to suffer unless they have a fully engaged, committed parent overseeing things. Homeschooling is a lot of work. A parent doing this by default isn't as likely to put forth the same effort as a parent actually committed to and believing in the process with a solid plan in place.
Locked Previous topicNext topic