BM isn't letting my step kids to to school

Anonymous 7

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:18 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:56 am Even though they really want to she won't let them. She said she refuses to drive them and said that DH can't take them either. She feels it is unsafe.

We haven't had any positive cases in our area. Sure there is some risk but it isn't huge. The kids have begged her to let them go even if it is just the hybrid plan which involves going to school for 2 or 3 half days a week. She said no to that also.

Now they are wanting DH to take it to court but there is no way that will happen by September 1st. I feel bad for the kids. They are in high school and I feel like they are old enough to be able to have an input. I just feel bad for them because they have been looking forward to school and now it's not happening.
He can't file an emergency order? That usually gets you in front of a judge in 48 hours. I'd think children being deprived of their education would count as an emergency.
They won't be deprived of their education.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Anonymous 10 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:34 am I was a "Little Goody Two Shoes" when I was in school. But I loved school. So, if I were one of these kids and I was a junior or senior in high school, I'd be getting myself to school one way or another despite what ANYBODY said. I actually think that if either parent called the school and told them not to allow the kids to attend, the school would ignore them! LOL I think they'd let the kid in!

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that if a court was involved, the court favored the child's wants!

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:56 am Even though they really want to she won't let them. She said she refuses to drive them and said that DH can't take them either. She feels it is unsafe.

We haven't had any positive cases in our area. Sure there is some risk but it isn't huge. The kids have begged her to let them go even if it is just the hybrid plan which involves going to school for 2 or 3 half days a week. She said no to that also.

Now they are wanting DH to take it to court but there is no way that will happen by September 1st. I feel bad for the kids. They are in high school and I feel like they are old enough to be able to have an input. I just feel bad for them because they have been looking forward to school and now it's not happening.
He can't file an emergency order? That usually gets you in front of a judge in 48 hours. I'd think children being deprived of their education would count as an emergency.
You should tell your daughter that so your grandchildren can follow in your goody two shoes footsteps.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Life is a funny thing as is the way times change. For years I've heard parents tell their children that school is for learning, not socializing.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

https://www.diabetes.org/resources/stat ... t-diabetes

Shall I post heart disease statistics next? We can debate if McDonalds or Covid claims more lives!

Diabetes was mentioned on 270k + death certificates in the US in 2017. If someone has tested positive for Covid and then dies, that is counted has a Covid death.
mcginnisc wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:55 am
Anonymous 6 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:42 am I’m pretty sure refined sugar claims many more lives than Covid.
Anonymous 10 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:13 am You're putting refined sugar and tree climbing in the same category as Covid-19 and suggesting that she's the moron??? Hmmmmmmm.....

More people have died in the US from covid than the Vietnam War, so I doubt more people have died from refined sugar than Covid in the last 6 months that this has been tracked. The VW claimed 58,200 US lives.. Covid has claimed 698K worldwide and 157K just in the US in a short span of 6 months.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:17 am
Valentina327 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:40 am
Anonymous 9 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:23 am

They are NOT being deprived of an education just because they aren't going to a brick and mortar building. Online schooling is still getting an education.
It's not the same as going to a school, first. There's a huge aspect of social interaction that's missing, which a parent that's homeschooling will have to put effort into making a plan to insure they have that. School is where we learn how to interact in society as adults.

Second, most random people aren't necessarily qualified to take on educating their children. There's a difference between someone who wants to home school their kids and someone just keeping them home out of fear. Homeschooling takes preparation.

Someone who truly believes in homeschooling is going to put forth the effort and go the extra mile. They're going to research and know what they're doing. They're going to prepare a whole program.

Someone just suddenly keeping them home may not be capable of putting in the same effort. There are many people that believe the school should be responsible for everything, so they have the attitude that the online learning should just be a "set it and forget it" type of mechanism. There's a lot of parents that aren't even that diligent about helping with homework.

A child's education is going to suffer unless they have a fully engaged, committed parent overseeing things. Homeschooling is a lot of work. A parent doing this by default isn't as likely to put forth the same effort as a parent actually committed to and believing in the process with a solid plan in place.
Val-
Just stop. Seriously. What the schools are offering is NOT homeschooling. So, you absolutely cannot compare them. The majority of schools have an online option- meaning the teachers are teaching via online. Full stop. It is basically the same as being in the classroom as the parents are NOT involved. It is a perfectly viable option. As far as socialization goes- there has not been any for anyone for 6 months.. everyone has lived with it and it is not all of a sudden be a detriment to their adult lives because for maybe one year, their *norm* was interrupted. That argument is asinine.
It is a ton more work for the teachers to do the virtual option. My friends are *all* doing it as our county is fully virtual with the exception of private schools. They have been working on this virtual teaching experience for months now to get ready for school to now start delayed on the 17th as today was supposed to be the first day back. They had to prepare lesson plans for virtual teaching as well as FTF.
As someone that homeschools it really bugs me when I read peoples' comments that have no experience with it at all and just make assumptions.
Thank you for explaining it to her so i didn't have to. I know quite a few people who have homeschooled and are currently homeschooling with many different programs. Some are their kids teachers but most are not.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

This is not considered an emergency situation. Also they are having the same education just online.
Anonymous 14

Unread post

They’re counting people who have died on hospice as covid deaths if they test positive. Even if they had been on hospice before this started. I read somewhere that they counted a man who died in a motorcycle accident as a covid death. When asked they said that covid symptoms could have caused the accident. 🙄it’s a miracle that all over death rates have almost gone away. Cancer, pneumonia, the flu etc.
Anonymous 6 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:22 am https://www.diabetes.org/resources/stat ... t-diabetes

Shall I post heart disease statistics next? We can debate if McDonalds or Covid claims more lives!

Diabetes was mentioned on 270k + death certificates in the US in 2017. If someone has tested positive for Covid and then dies, that is counted has a Covid death.
mcginnisc wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:55 am
Anonymous 6 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:42 am I’m pretty sure refined sugar claims many more lives than Covid.

More people have died in the US from covid than the Vietnam War, so I doubt more people have died from refined sugar than Covid in the last 6 months that this has been tracked. The VW claimed 58,200 US lives.. Covid has claimed 698K worldwide and 157K just in the US in a short span of 6 months.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 10 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:47 am I appreciate the value of home schooling. But I honestly have no way of knowing that virtual schooling is just as good as home schooling. I would think that in some instances it might be and depending upon the parent involved, in other instances, it might not be. I thought that's what Valentina was trying to say.
mcginnisc wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:17 am
Valentina327 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:40 am

It's not the same as going to a school, first. There's a huge aspect of social interaction that's missing, which a parent that's homeschooling will have to put effort into making a plan to insure they have that. School is where we learn how to interact in society as adults.

Second, most random people aren't necessarily qualified to take on educating their children. There's a difference between someone who wants to home school their kids and someone just keeping them home out of fear. Homeschooling takes preparation.

Someone who truly believes in homeschooling is going to put forth the effort and go the extra mile. They're going to research and know what they're doing. They're going to prepare a whole program.

Someone just suddenly keeping them home may not be capable of putting in the same effort. There are many people that believe the school should be responsible for everything, so they have the attitude that the online learning should just be a "set it and forget it" type of mechanism. There's a lot of parents that aren't even that diligent about helping with homework.

A child's education is going to suffer unless they have a fully engaged, committed parent overseeing things. Homeschooling is a lot of work. A parent doing this by default isn't as likely to put forth the same effort as a parent actually committed to and believing in the process with a solid plan in place.
Val-
Just stop. Seriously. What the schools are offering is NOT homeschooling. So, you absolutely cannot compare them. The majority of schools have an online option- meaning the teachers are teaching via online. Full stop. It is basically the same as being in the classroom as the parents are NOT involved. It is a perfectly viable option. As far as socialization goes- there has not been any for anyone for 6 months.. everyone has lived with it and it is not all of a sudden be a detriment to their adult lives because for maybe one year, their *norm* was interrupted. That argument is asinine.
It is a ton more work for the teachers to do the virtual option. My friends are *all* doing it as our county is fully virtual with the exception of private schools. They have been working on this virtual teaching experience for months now to get ready for school to now start delayed on the 17th as today was supposed to be the first day back. They had to prepare lesson plans for virtual teaching as well as FTF.
As someone that homeschools it really bugs me when I read peoples' comments that have no experience with it at all and just make assumptions.
I can tell you my college son believes virtual school is far more difficult for him than the classroom. Unfortunately he has no choice since most of his classes just went virtual. But that's only one person. Ds17 chose virtual. I do agree with Val on one thing... for any education to succeed the parent needs to be involved. Maybe not staring over the kid's shoulder but involved.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

I was actually just talking with her about this and she said, "I could definitely see you doing that, mom!" 😂
Anonymous 7 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:58 am
Anonymous 10 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:34 am I was a "Little Goody Two Shoes" when I was in school. But I loved school. So, if I were one of these kids and I was a junior or senior in high school, I'd be getting myself to school one way or another despite what ANYBODY said. I actually think that if either parent called the school and told them not to allow the kids to attend, the school would ignore them! LOL I think they'd let the kid in!

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that if a court was involved, the court favored the child's wants!

You should tell your daughter that so your grandchildren can follow in your goody two shoes footsteps.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

True! I heard that ALL THE TIME when I was going to school!!! 😂 But for me, if I had not gone to school during my high school years, I wonder if I would have been trapped in my OVERLY SHY middle school personality! I was afraid of the world...until I hit high school. Then, all bets were off! 😂
Anonymous 7 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:12 am Life is a funny thing as is the way times change. For years I've heard parents tell their children that school is for learning, not socializing.
Locked Previous topicNext topic