BM isn't letting my step kids to to school

Anonymous 10

Unread post

Totally understand. My daughter had to finish out her senior year of college FROM HOME. Most of her classes were EASY ones. But that would not have been the case for her if those classes were MATH classes! (Yikes!)

Some kids will be perfectly fine doing instruction from home. Others might struggle. And still others might be fine with one class and not-so-fine with another. It's a crap shoot all around. All we can do is the best we can do. Keep "in tune" with your child. Pay attention to the subtle messages that they may be sending you. And than act swiftly to "change things up" if necessary and possible!

What year in college is your son in?
Pjmm wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:21 am
Anonymous 10 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:47 am I appreciate the value of home schooling. But I honestly have no way of knowing that virtual schooling is just as good as home schooling. I would think that in some instances it might be and depending upon the parent involved, in other instances, it might not be. I thought that's what Valentina was trying to say.
mcginnisc wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:17 am

Val-
Just stop. Seriously. What the schools are offering is NOT homeschooling. So, you absolutely cannot compare them. The majority of schools have an online option- meaning the teachers are teaching via online. Full stop. It is basically the same as being in the classroom as the parents are NOT involved. It is a perfectly viable option. As far as socialization goes- there has not been any for anyone for 6 months.. everyone has lived with it and it is not all of a sudden be a detriment to their adult lives because for maybe one year, their *norm* was interrupted. That argument is asinine.
It is a ton more work for the teachers to do the virtual option. My friends are *all* doing it as our county is fully virtual with the exception of private schools. They have been working on this virtual teaching experience for months now to get ready for school to now start delayed on the 17th as today was supposed to be the first day back. They had to prepare lesson plans for virtual teaching as well as FTF.
As someone that homeschools it really bugs me when I read peoples' comments that have no experience with it at all and just make assumptions.
I can tell you my college son believes virtual school is far more difficult for him than the classroom. Unfortunately he has no choice since most of his classes just went virtual. But that's only one person. Ds17 chose virtual. I do agree with Val on one thing... for any education to succeed the parent needs to be involved. Maybe not staring over the kid's shoulder but involved.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 10 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:32 am Totally understand. My daughter had to finish out her senior year of college FROM HOME. Most of her classes were EASY ones. But that would not have been the case for her if those classes were MATH classes! (Yikes!)

Some kids will be perfectly fine doing instruction from home. Others might struggle. And still others might be fine with one class and not-so-fine with another. It's a crap shoot all around. All we can do is the best we can do. Keep "in tune" with your child. Pay attention to the subtle messages that they may be sending you. And than act swiftly to "change things up" if necessary and possible!

Anonymous 10 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:47 am I appreciate the value of home schooling. But I honestly have no way of knowing that virtual schooling is just as good as home schooling. I would think that in some instances it might be and depending upon the parent involved, in other instances, it might not be. I thought that's what Valentina was trying to say.

I can tell you my college son believes virtual school is far more difficult for him than the classroom. Unfortunately he has no choice since most of his classes just went virtual. But that's only one person. Ds17 chose virtual. I do agree with Val on one thing... for any education to succeed the parent needs to be involved. Maybe not staring over the kid's shoulder but involved.
His third year. He's going back to college and the dorms (can't get a refund at this point and feels being at university will be better for him). I'm not thrilled but at least he'll have his own room in the pod whereas before he had to bunk with someone. So I'm happy for that.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

I understand. I could see why he'd rather be back at school, too. While there, will he be doing virtual classes? Or must he report to class, too? I feel bad for all these kids. I hope things go as smooth as they possibly can for him. And I hope that by next year, all of this is a distant memory.
Pjmm wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:25 pm
Anonymous 10 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:32 am Totally understand. My daughter had to finish out her senior year of college FROM HOME. Most of her classes were EASY ones. But that would not have been the case for her if those classes were MATH classes! (Yikes!)

His third year. He's going back to college and the dorms (can't get a refund at this point and feels being at university will be better for him). I'm not thrilled but at least he'll have his own room in the pod whereas before he had to bunk with someone. So I'm happy for that.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 10 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:33 pm I understand. I could see why he'd rather be back at school, too. While there, will he be doing virtual classes? Or must he report to class, too? I feel bad for all these kids. I hope things go as smooth as they possibly can for him. And I hope that by next year, all of this is a distant memory.

Fall will be virtual for him. And yes I hope at least by 2021 things will settle down a bit.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

Ah. Hope all goes well for him. Here's to a great 2021!
Pjmm wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:34 pm
Anonymous 10 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:33 pm I understand. I could see why he'd rather be back at school, too. While there, will he be doing virtual classes? Or must he report to class, too? I feel bad for all these kids. I hope things go as smooth as they possibly can for him. And I hope that by next year, all of this is a distant memory.

Fall will be virtual for him. And yes I hope at least by 2021 things will settle down a bit.
Anonymous 12

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:44 am
Anonymous 12 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:55 pm
Msprekteacher wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:04 pm He can certainly have an opinion, but no, she is the custodial parent and should be the one to decide. My husband and I are going round and round regarding our own children and one of us will “win” and the other will simply have been heard.

op said they have 50/50
Even with 50/50 one parent is the primary parent, meaning the kids use that parents address as their main address.
50/50 means they both make equal decisions
Locked Previous topicNext topic