I'm all for adoption but I'm not spending $400 on a kitten

Anonymous 1

Unread post

DD really wants a kitten. We used to have a cat years ago but he died of old age. I told her we could get one as long as she did most of the cares for the cat.

The first place I looked was the humane society. Kittens are listed at $400. A kitten on there that is 10 months old is $375. A one year old car is 3250. The cheapest is $175 for a 12 year old cat.

I think the prices for the kittens are ridiculous. I understand it is to help them stay afloat but it is no wonder people would rather spent $20-100 on Craigslist or Facebook to get a 8 week old kitten. I'm not spending $400 on any kitten. It doesn't even cost that much to get them proper vet care.

So as much as I agree with adoption we will be going another route.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

That’s crazy. Our humane society is like $65 for kittens and animal control is only $10 for kittens. Speaking of which, animal control could be another option for you to check out. Or try a neighboring areas humane society.
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Cats are $75 at ours with all of their shots, a one year tag and spay or neuter included.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

That is outrageous. People sell them here on fb for $10
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Come to my neighborhood. I could round up about 5 of them for you...for FREE.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Look on craigslist. The most I spent on a cat was Salem and he was $125, I think, because we got him from a breeder, he was an Abby-Tabby and the breeder was looking for the all over abyssinian coloring and the tabby body. He was trying for a miniature cougar in a cat. Salem ended up with both the abby coloring and the tabby stripes so he was essentially not what the breeder was looking for. Nonetheless, he was a great cat. The rest of my guys were either rescues (free) or showed up on my doorstep (free) or given to me (free). I found Leo and his sister Mouse on craigslist and it was $60 for the both of them. Money well spent, they are great cats.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I know she said she wants a kitten. But I wonder what she would say if you took her to the Humane Society and said, "None of these cats have a home. Would you like to bring one of them home with us?" It actually might make her feel good to know that she is doing something good for one of them. :)
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I just get cats free on facebook
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
SummerDream
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

We got our puppy for free. He was advertised in a local Facebook group I belong to.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Kittens are free on craigslist here. Who would buy one unless it was a special breed? Crazy.
Locked Previous topicNext topic