I'm all for adoption but I'm not spending $400 on a kitten

Anonymous 1

Unread post

mojogirl wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:24 pm something shady going on at your animal shelter, or you're a big fibber
I don't think there is anything shady going on and I'm not lying.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

hotspice58 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:35 pm Have you tried different shelters?
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:12 pm DD really wants a kitten. We used to have a cat years ago but he died of old age. I told her we could get one as long as she did most of the cares for the cat.

The first place I looked was the humane society. Kittens are listed at $400. A kitten on there that is 10 months old is $375. A one year old car is 3250. The cheapest is $175 for a 12 year old cat.

I think the prices for the kittens are ridiculous. I understand it is to help them stay afloat but it is no wonder people would rather spent $20-100 on Craigslist or Facebook to get a 8 week old kitten. I'm not spending $400 on any kitten. It doesn't even cost that much to get them proper vet care.

So as much as I agree with adoption we will be going another route.
Yeah they are about the same price.
Kikibix
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:33 pm
Kikibix wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:15 pm That’s a bargain - I’m assuming they’ve had all their shots, deworming, etc and spay/neuter. My 2 “free” kittens cost approximately $800 each in the first year for the necessary basic vet services. If you can’t afford that please don’t get a pet.
You are stupid if you spent that much money on basic vet care for a kitten.
Lol okay. I use an accredited vet. I do check prices of other area vets. I do understand that cost of living is different everywhere.
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Wow, my last cat was $55 and the one before her was only $5 at the shelter. It’s only $85 for kittens. $400 is crazy!
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Kikibix wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:36 pm
Kikibix wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:15 pm That’s a bargain - I’m assuming they’ve had all their shots, deworming, etc and spay/neuter. My 2 “free” kittens cost approximately $800 each in the first year for the necessary basic vet services. If you can’t afford that please don’t get a pet.
Lol okay. I use an accredited vet. I do check prices of other area vets. I do understand that cost of living is different everywhere.
I live in a very high cost of living area and it has never been even close to that expensive.
wildflowers25
Regent
Regent

Unread post

That's crazy. We adopted a dog a couple of years ago. It was $100 and he'd been neutered before he ended up a the shelter. Honestly I thought $100 was a little expensive but there is not a chance we would have paid anywhere near $400.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:12 pm DD really wants a kitten. We used to have a cat years ago but he died of old age. I told her we could get one as long as she did most of the cares for the cat.

The first place I looked was the humane society. Kittens are listed at $400. A kitten on there that is 10 months old is $375. A one year old car is 3250. The cheapest is $175 for a 12 year old cat.

I think the prices for the kittens are ridiculous. I understand it is to help them stay afloat but it is no wonder people would rather spent $20-100 on Craigslist or Facebook to get a 8 week old kitten. I'm not spending $400 on any kitten. It doesn't even cost that much to get them proper vet care.

So as much as I agree with adoption we will be going another route.
That is ridiculous. When we got our purebred Golden Retriever from a breeder we spent $300 for her. When we got a kitten from the humane society we spent $100 for him. And he was pretty young (had been abandoned), like 8 or 10 weeks old. I know both of those were many many years ago and pricing goes up, but I still wouldn't spend $400 for an animal from the humane society.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That's ridiculous as well. No way should basic vet service cost $800 in the first year. That vet would not stay in business around here.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:55 pm
That's ridiculous as well. No way should basic vet service cost $800 in the first year. That vet would not stay in business around here.
For real! Jeesh. My vet charges $40 for office visit and around the same amount for shots and a discount on the office visit if you have more than one pet scheduled. I wonder what Kik gets for that $800? Kitten spa day?
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Kikibix wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:36 pm
What do you mean by accredited? Board certified? Don't all vets have to be licensed and board certified to practice medicine?
Locked Previous topicNext topic