Adoptions and ancestry.com

Anonymous 1

Unread post

If your mother was adopted, and she had a great adoptive father but you know who her biological father was, who do you put down on ancestry.com as her father?

And then who do you put as the grandfather if she never knew either?
justagirl
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

You can add biological parents as well as adoptive parents, if I'm not mistaken.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

justagirl wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:28 am You can add biological parents as well as adoptive parents, if I'm not mistaken.
Would you add both as father and continue looking for both of their ancestry lines?
justagirl
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Personally, yes, I would add both. I have an adoptive father but also have a relationship with my biological father and I look into both sides whenever I'm doing research. I think I would be interested in both sides even if I didn't have a relationship with my biological father though. I feel like familial history is important regardless of where the DNA comes from but we wouldn't exist without our bloodlines, so both are deserving of respect.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:29 am
justagirl wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:28 am You can add biological parents as well as adoptive parents, if I'm not mistaken.
Would you add both as father and continue looking for both of their ancestry lines?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I would be more interested in finding bio family before adoptive family. I would put both men down and list one as her bio Dad and one as her adoptive Dad.

But I may be biased. We don't know who my grandpa's Dad was. So I have always wondered and would like to explore that lineage.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:01 am I would be more interested in finding bio family before adoptive family. I would put both men down and list one as her bio Dad and one as her adoptive Dad.

But I may be biased. We don't know who my grandpa's Dad was. So I have always wondered and would like to explore that lineage.
Yeah, and it’s hard for me because these men died before I was born so I never got to connect with any of them. I guess I’ll just do both for two generations, but maybe continue further with the DNA line to figure out like 8 generations up since at that point emotions don’t really matter.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Being adopted myself, for me my only ancestors are the ones of my only family: my adopted ones. Those are the only ones I would take into account myself.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I feel completely different. Genes are so unimportant. For me, I have only one family and that’s the one that adopted me and have been there for me always. I have no ill to whoever my biological parents are, I’m very grateful that they chose to give he a chance at life, but just because they gave me some genes, they’re not my family.
I guess the bottom line about finding your ancestors is who contributed to make you the person you are. And for me, those are the people that came before those who made me who I am, which are the people that raised me. The others are just the people who have me my looks.
Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:01 am I would be more interested in finding bio family before adoptive family. I would put both men down and list one as her bio Dad and one as her adoptive Dad.

❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
hockeymom87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I would put both. Both are important. Bio especially if you can use it to see if there are any genetic disorder or other health issues that are genetic. I always wonder about family medical history. Today we went to the doctor for my son and the doctor asked if there was a family history of ____. If I was adopted giving my adoptive families medical history wouldn’t matter
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I understand that, but what if you want to look a bunch of generations up? To great-great-great-great grandmothers?
Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:21 pm I feel completely different. Genes are so unimportant. For me, I have only one family and that’s the one that adopted me and have been there for me always. I have no ill to whoever my biological parents are, I’m very grateful that they chose to give he a chance at life, but just because they gave me some genes, they’re not my family.
I guess the bottom line about finding your ancestors is who contributed to make you the person you are. And for me, those are the people that came before those who made me who I am, which are the people that raised me. The others are just the people who have me my looks.

Locked Previous topicNext topic