Would you put your PPE on before helping someone with Covid 19?

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That is something hospitals need to prepare for. They have a duty to protect their patients. My friend works in the respiratory ICU at a major COVID hospital. They have a door monitor at every COVID door, so running in without proper ppe is not an option. The door monitor both makes sure that all staff have proper ppe on before entering and they also monitor the patient from the outside, so if a patient tried to get out of bed they would see them and be able to call for a nurse long before the bed alarm was sounded. They have a nurse ready in full ppe at all times, so that if something like that happens or if a patients codes, they can get in there immediately.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

If the hospital's policy states that I put on my PPE before entering the room of a Covid-19 patient, that's what I would be doing.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Pit your PPE on first. No one knows who you deal with 0n your own time so it’s no one’s business.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:48 am This will be a hypothetical question for most of you but I'm curious to know what others would do.

Let's say you are working in a hospital and hear a bed alarm going off alerting you that a patient is getting out of bed. This patient is a high fall risk and has injured themselves falling. The patient is Covid positive and that requires you to put on a gown, gloves, N95 mask, and a face shield. It takes time to do all this and you know the patient will likely fall.

The policy at the hospital is that if you are exposed to someone with Covid 19 without the proper PPE you are on leave automatically for 14 days after a negative test which is unpaid.

Would you run into the room with no protection or put on the PPE and deal with the outcome?
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I wouldn't be working there in the first place. But say I was desperate and really had no other employment I'd put on the PPE. I assume I'd be wearing at least the mask anyway.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

You should follow the protocol. The hospital should follow the protocol. This is how you keep everyone safe. The patient is already on the floor and isn't in immediate danger. The time it takes to suit up isn't going to matter much probably. If a patient crashes, that is another story. But there should be someone in ppe at all times probably.

Thank back to the ebola cases in those three African countries a few years back. Caregivers had to wear a full hazmat suit when tending to patients and that took 3 people to put on properly each time. Front line caregivers have to protect themselves so they don't get sick and become a patient themselves.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I’d put PPE first. I don’t see how I would even have a doubt.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:12 am The reason I'm asking is because this situation happened to me and people are pissed off that I put PPE on first. How I see it is my health is the most important thing. If I get sick I can't care for my kids and I can't care for others.
Did they fall or did they wait until you got gowned up?
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I would definitely PPE up before entering.
Locked Previous topicNext topic