funny pranks

justagirl
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Someone shouldn't (and doesn't) have to "have a dog in the fight" to have a problem with xenophobia and racism. I don't think any harm was meant by the suggestion but it was still in very poor taste. I was glad to see others called her out on it.
Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:19 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:51 pm
Emmasmom wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:58 am

Poor thing. Thank you for admitting you're oli. And it isnt distasteful. Just because you think it is doesn't mean it is to everyone.
I am not Oli and was the first one to tell her it *is* in fact in the current climate to be distasteful. Considering Asians, specifically Chinese people have been targeted over and over due to Covid because our illustrious leader referring to the virus as the Wuhan virus or the Chinese virus..it is in poor taste. I've seen first hand what this has done in regards to targeting Asians as my daughter is Chinese.
The other things she listed- cool with me. I particularly like the dolls although it would freak me out.. the sign? Not okay.
I think you're taking it more personally than others because you have a dog in this fight. Anyway, I agree with Anon2 that it is customary to name diseases after where they originated- ever heard of MERS?? It's not racist to say it originated in China. That is a fact.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

justagirl wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:12 pm Someone shouldn't (and doesn't) have to "have a dog in the fight" to have a problem with xenophobia and racism. I don't think any harm was meant by the suggestion but it was still in very poor taste. I was glad to see others called her out on it.
mcginnisc wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:51 pm

I am not Oli and was the first one to tell her it *is* in fact in the current climate to be distasteful. Considering Asians, specifically Chinese people have been targeted over and over due to Covid because our illustrious leader referring to the virus as the Wuhan virus or the Chinese virus..it is in poor taste. I've seen first hand what this has done in regards to targeting Asians as my daughter is Chinese.
The other things she listed- cool with me. I particularly like the dolls although it would freak me out.. the sign? Not okay.
I think you're taking it more personally than others because you have a dog in this fight. Anyway, I agree with Anon2 that it is customary to name diseases after where they originated- ever heard of MERS?? It's not racist to say it originated in China. That is a fact.
Did you read what I said? It’s not racist to say where a virus originated. Ever heard of MERS? Do you have a problem with that too, or are you selective with what you find racist?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

agander2017 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:57 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:54 am
Emmasmom wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:40 am

Get over it. It was a joke. Holy shit. Something tells me this is Oli. Of course you won't admit it but only oli gets offended over everything. Move on. You were offended that doesnt mean you're right.
It was a tasteless joke. And no, this is olii, she isnt the only one who points out when someone says something distasteful, another user called her out as well if you read.
If you learn to read, you would notice someone actually said in their opinion it wasn't a good idea. She wasn't offended, and she didn't get her panties in a twist over it. That's what made me change it in a different comment. I realized it was offensive, but didn't at the time that I posted it the first time. Our family jokes about stuff like that all of the time. Whenever my son starts his fake sneezing and coughing in a store I always respond to the dirty looks with "Sorry, I guess this was a bad time for a family trip to China". You don't have to be a rude jerk. Better yet, if you don't like something, you don't have to read it.

It's called being an adult.
Your family jokes like that all the time? Weren’t you the one who, in the Trump parody book post, said you would never joke about things like that and you’re teaching your son it’s never okay to make fun of others? And that humor has to be “age appropriate” and all that. I sense some inconsistency.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Emmasmom wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:40 am

Get over it. It was a joke. Holy shit. Something tells me this is Oli. Of course you won't admit it but only oli gets offended over everything. Move on. You were offended that doesnt mean you're right.
It was a tasteless joke. And no, this is olii, she isnt the only one who points out when someone says something distasteful, another user called her out as well if you read.
If you learn to read, you would notice someone actually said in their opinion it wasn't a good idea. She wasn't offended, and she didn't get her panties in a twist over it. That's what made me change it in a different comment. I realized it was offensive, but didn't at the time that I posted it the first time. Our family jokes about stuff like that all of the time. Whenever my son starts his fake sneezing and coughing in a store I always respond to the dirty looks with "Sorry, I guess this was a bad time for a family trip to China". You don't have to be a rude jerk. Better yet, if you don't like something, you don't have to read it.

My dad is Japanese and many assume we are part Chinese. When the pandemic first reached the US, before everything closed, I was walking down a sidewalk to my car with my eight year old son. A man coughed and then joked "I swear I haven't been to China." We got in our car and my very social son asks me "mom, what if kids at school don't like me anymore because they think I'm Chinese." I wanted to tell him that that wouldn't happen, but I couldn't lie to him. One positive side of sheltering in place is there was only a brief period of time that my kids had to witness and experience ignorant remarks and actions from others. It is one of the things I am scared of when they eventually go back to school. Maybe think a little more about the impact that your words have.
justagirl
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

I was actually referring to the "welcome back" sign and not the terminology around the virus. But as for calling it "China virus" or "Chinese virus", well, that can be due to either hate OR ignorance. I'd wager that in most cases it's both. That's kind of how xenophobia works.
Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:35 pm
justagirl wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:12 pm Someone shouldn't (and doesn't) have to "have a dog in the fight" to have a problem with xenophobia and racism. I don't think any harm was meant by the suggestion but it was still in very poor taste. I was glad to see others called her out on it.

Did you read what I said? It’s not racist to say where a virus originated. Ever heard of MERS? Do you have a problem with that too, or are you selective with what you find racist?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

justagirl wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:03 pm I was actually referring to the "welcome back" sign and not the terminology around the virus. But as for calling it "China virus" or "Chinese virus", well, that can be due to either hate OR ignorance. I'd wager that in most cases it's both. That's kind of how xenophobia works.
As I mentioned in a previous reply, I do believe that when Trump calls it the Chinese virus, he is doing so to be purposely xenophobic. When people say the virus originated in China, I do not label them racists because 1- that is fact (as far as we knew in the early days of Covid) and 2- many viruses are named for where they are originated. Simply stating that is not racist.
justagirl
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

i'm inclined to agree with you. Of course there are also the xenophobes who rather than calling it "China virus" say things like "The virus from China" because they think that helps spread the hate without it being too obvious that it's hate. I'm not in any way trying to insinuate that you're one of them, just that they're definitely out there, so that's something to consider as well. Luckily the majority of racists and xenophobes are too stupid to try and hide it. 😉
Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:09 pm
justagirl wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:03 pm I was actually referring to the "welcome back" sign and not the terminology around the virus. But as for calling it "China virus" or "Chinese virus", well, that can be due to either hate OR ignorance. I'd wager that in most cases it's both. That's kind of how xenophobia works.

As I mentioned in a previous reply, I do believe that when Trump calls it the Chinese virus, he is doing so to be purposely xenophobic. When people say the virus originated in China, I do not label them racists because 1- that is fact (as far as we knew in the early days of Covid) and 2- many viruses are named for where they are originated. Simply stating that is not racist.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

justagirl wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:15 pm i'm inclined to agree with you. Of course there are also the xenophobes who rather than calling it "China virus" say things like "The virus from China" because they think that helps spread the hate without it being too obvious that it's hate. I'm not in any way trying to insinuate that you're one of them, just that they're definitely out there, so that's something to consider as well. Luckily the majority of racists and xenophobes are too stupid to try and hide it. 😉
I see what you are saying. For me, I have judged it in the context within which it’s used. If someone consistently refers to it as the “virus from China,” IMO that is far different than a one-off comment that the virus originated in China. Many viruses in history have been named for their place of origin. I always call it the coronavirus, Covid, or Covid-19 myself. I agree that it is usually obvious because racists tend to be proud and vocal racists rather than closeted ones!
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:22 pm
justagirl wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:15 pm i'm inclined to agree with you. Of course there are also the xenophobes who rather than calling it "China virus" say things like "The virus from China" because they think that helps spread the hate without it being too obvious that it's hate. I'm not in any way trying to insinuate that you're one of them, just that they're definitely out there, so that's something to consider as well. Luckily the majority of racists and xenophobes are too stupid to try and hide it. 😉

I see what you are saying. For me, I have judged it in the context within which it’s used. If someone consistently refers to it as the “virus from China,” IMO that is far different than a one-off comment that the virus originated in China. Many viruses in history have been named for their place of origin. I always call it the coronavirus, Covid, or Covid-19 myself. I agree that it is usually obvious because racists tend to be proud and vocal racists rather than closeted ones!
To your last sentence - have you not heard about the Silent Majority the right wing keeps touting?
Anonymous 5

Unread post

That is by no means a racist statement. When the world first learned of this virus, it was thought (and some still think) that it originated in Wuhan. So, it wouldn't be a stretch to refer to it as the Wuhan or China virus.

I do think, though, that the virus being referred to as the CHINESE virus is, or at least could be, offensive.
Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:47 pm

My dad is Japanese and many assume we are part Chinese. When the pandemic first reached the US, before everything closed, I was walking down a sidewalk to my car with my eight year old son. A man coughed and then joked "I swear I haven't been to China." We got in our car and my very social son asks me "mom, what if kids at school don't like me anymore because they think I'm Chinese." I wanted to tell him that that wouldn't happen, but I couldn't lie to him. One positive side of sheltering in place is there was only a brief period of time that my kids had to witness and experience ignorant remarks and actions from others. It is one of the things I am scared of when they eventually go back to school. Maybe think a little more about the impact that your words have.
Locked Previous topicNext topic