7 y/o birthday help

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:15 pm She’s trapped with 5 other people in 728 sq ft - of course she is miserable! I would suggest an outing somewhere fun rather than a toy.
I live in a county of California that has reclosed. But fields opened almost a month ago, so I take her to those. You just need to do a lot of planning because of the lack of bathrooms. (For me. She can pee in a bush. I need to time it so all coffee has moved my bowels prior to starting a half a mile walk to a park.)
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Lotus wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:17 pm LOL, well I can see why she likes the house.
I had to google the calico one, it's adorable, but you know your child the best.
I also think it's very impressive that you've managed to make your space work for all of you.
Happy birthday to your child.
It definitely doesn't work with all the closures. My neighbors must hate us, and we have no downstairs neighbors. It's just that loud. We've already gotten one call from our HOA and a letter. It's probably harder on someone like her, who wants to invite an entire day camp of kids to a trampoline place for her birthday.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:07 pm Maybe money for her birthday? My kids aren't bratty like that so I'm not much help.
We don't have in store shopping right now, so it'd have to be online. And then it might cause a tantrum because I won't let her buy what she wants, for space reasons. Then I'd feel like I'd have to take her money away as punishment. So I want to avoid all that. My mom bought her clothes, to avoid buying her a toy she might not like. Those are the only other gifts she'll get.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:19 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:15 pm She’s trapped with 5 other people in 728 sq ft - of course she is miserable! I would suggest an outing somewhere fun rather than a toy.
I live in a county of California that has reclosed. But fields opened almost a month ago, so I take her to those. You just need to do a lot of planning because of the lack of bathrooms. (For me. She can pee in a bush. I need to time it so all coffee has moved my bowels prior to starting a half a mile walk to a park.)
Can you put a shelf above the dresser to store the toy (or anywhere else) in your home?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:55 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:07 pm Maybe money for her birthday? My kids aren't bratty like that so I'm not much help.
We don't have in store shopping right now, so it'd have to be online. And then it might cause a tantrum because I won't let her buy what she wants, for space reasons. Then I'd feel like I'd have to take her money away as punishment. So I want to avoid all that. My mom bought her clothes, to avoid buying her a toy she might not like. Those are the only other gifts she'll get.
Well you're just going to have to make a decision because none of us can fix your space or brattiness for you. Maybe making her some space of her own somehow? Because it's not fair to her having no toys inside, no personal space, nothing. Poor kid must be miserable.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:59 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:19 pm
Can you put a shelf above the dresser to store the toy (or anywhere else) in your home?
We've taken full advantage of vertical space, so there isn't any unclaimed walls. She just complained for the first time this week because of the cabinets and shelves on the wall her bed's on. And we have her there because my older son couldn't sleep in that spot from worrying it would all collapse on him (the fact some people feel this unconscious worry is something those tiny house shows do not tell you). I decided to just bite the bullet and show her the options. If it ruins the surprise, oh well.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:03 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:58 pm If she's picky and bratty it's because you don't tell her no and follow through. Tell her there's no room and it's not gonna happen. She'll live. If you don't get a handle on this 7 y/o brat now, she's gonna be an adult size brat at 12. Put a cork in it now and put your foot down. And tell her that if she wants to do what she wants then she'd better start looking for another set of parents who are pushovers because it ain't gonna happen otherwise. For Bob's sake woman, shut that shit down NOW.
I actually cannot remember what year it was when she was last told yes. She gets told no plenty, and it's always followed through on because there's no other choice. She doesn't have a bedroom and shares the combination living room/dining room area with the rest of our beds. She's been told there's no room plenty of times. DH then gets all depressed and says self-hating things because he feels like a failure.
Yeah well your dh needs relax and come up with solutions instead of being depressed. Some live in their cars. I'd tell her there's no room. Yes it sucks but it is what it is. Now let's figure out what can be done.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That is really tough!

How about:
LOL dolls to fit in the calico critter house? OR
A bunch of fun candy that she can make a sweet candy land with, almost like a non-Christmas candy house? -- so she can design, then play but eventually everything gets eaten or thrown away?

And then a stand to hold the I-phone, so she can record her movie scenes with her sets?

Also play-mobil has some smaller dollhouse like sets, that would be fun to record with, and don't take a lot of space.

And last, I banned YouTube for my DD about 9 months ago. Even though she only watched kids & family friendly things (including the video you showed & things like HoneyHeartC), it was negatively influencing behavior & material expectations.I am very happy we made the decision, as I think it has greatly improved her "brattiness".
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

We would celebrate her birthday: cake, ice cream and a song, but a child who acts like that would not get any gifts.

I raised 8 in a small house so I get the limited space issue, if she won’t be happy with what you can do, don’t bother.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:55 pm
What the hell county in CA is that? I know ours got rid of the in-restaurant eating again, but we've always had the in-store shopping, even during the worst of it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic