7 y/o birthday help

Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:59 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:00 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:55 pm
We don't have in store shopping right now, so it'd have to be online. And then it might cause a tantrum because I won't let her buy what she wants, for space reasons. Then I'd feel like I'd have to take her money away as punishment. So I want to avoid all that. My mom bought her clothes, to avoid buying her a toy she might not like. Those are the only other gifts she'll get.
Well you're just going to have to make a decision because none of us can fix your space or brattiness for you. Maybe making her some space of her own somehow? Because it's not fair to her having no toys inside, no personal space, nothing. Poor kid must be miserable.
I know, I know. This is our third "quarantine" birthday, and I should just be grateful the other two were so easy instead of stressing about this one.

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I'm sure I was frustrating, but you were really helpful. We have a fairly big outdoor space, and she considers it her space. But the hoa has been very strict with us. I decided to talk to her about it, and she said there's episodes of her show where the dolls have this outdoor dollhouse (she didn't know the name of it- google lens found it for me):

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tree-Blocks- ... lerId=1148

I'll check and see if that would be allowed. Very exciting for her if it is, so fingers crossed!
What about even a pop up tent? Something she can put up when she needs a bubble of her own but that folds flat to store behind furniture. I know my daughter needs space of her own or she doesn't function well.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:58 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:15 pm She’s trapped with 5 other people in 728 sq ft - of course she is miserable! I would suggest an outing somewhere fun rather than a toy.
Right? I'm trapped in a 1900 sqft house with 5 other people and I feel cramped some day. Can't imagine a 728 sqft place 😩
And yes, I would also do an outing.
Outings are problematic right now because of the scarcity of bathrooms. I take them once a day to a field since they reopened June 18. Before that, I made them take these walks DS called our walks to nowhere. When playgrounds and libraries go back to normal I'll definitely take them.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

2 adults and 4 children in a 728 square foot, one bedroom apartment, how is that legal?
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:46 pm 2 adults and 4 children in a 728 square foot, one bedroom apartment, how is that legal?
There is no law anywhere that determines how many related people can live in a one bedroom apartment. There are laws for non related persons and foster families, though. Hubs grew up on navy bases and he knew lots of families with lots of kids (one family had 7) and lived in a 2 or 3 bedroom house.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

https://www.walmart.com/ip/e-Joy-Indoor ... /152458809
Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 4.19.24 PM.png
The description says it's easy to set up and take down.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:12 am
agander2017 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:19 am Yeah, no. She would be lucky if she got anything for her birthday if she's acting like that. She needs to learn to be respectful. And until then, she would be getting socks and underwear for her birthday, and Christmas.

Also, I would not be trying to get her a doll house that we didn't have room for, just so she could do something like this... That's just silly. If she's not going to be happy either way, then why even try?
I would agree except she's in an apartment probably meant for two but five people are there. I would say no to the dollhouse but cut her some slack. She can't even go anywhere. I'd want to kill someone too if i were her. In fact I know- and it's wrong- that I'd tell dh please pull it together. So I can't blame this kid for being whiny.
I have to wonder, if this is new, or if she has been acting this way for awhile. I simply say this because my niece is the same way. She's still in school, has a big yard to play in, and her own room. She's 6. She actually cried and threw a fit at her last birthday party because she didn't get the things she wanted.

Emmasmom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Mamaof4 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:57 pm I honestly don’t know what I would do in this scenario, but it wouldn’t be catering to her demands especially since it sounds like she’ll be unhappy no matter what you do.
This. Why cater to a picky, bratty child? Nip that behavior in the bud. Correct it now because its only going to get worst.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:03 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:58 pm If she's picky and bratty it's because you don't tell her no and follow through. Tell her there's no room and it's not gonna happen. She'll live. If you don't get a handle on this 7 y/o brat now, she's gonna be an adult size brat at 12. Put a cork in it now and put your foot down. And tell her that if she wants to do what she wants then she'd better start looking for another set of parents who are pushovers because it ain't gonna happen otherwise. For Bob's sake woman, shut that shit down NOW.
I actually cannot remember what year it was when she was last told yes. She gets told no plenty, and it's always followed through on because there's no other choice. She doesn't have a bedroom and shares the combination living room/dining room area with the rest of our beds. She's been told there's no room plenty of times. DH then gets all depressed and says self-hating things because he feels like a failure.
you all sleep on one room??
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:57 am
LuckyEightWow wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:44 pm We would celebrate her birthday: cake, ice cream and a song, but a child who acts like that would not get any gifts.

I raised 8 in a small house so I get the limited space issue, if she won’t be happy with what you can do, don’t bother.
It's a one bedroom apartment during a pandemic where we only got the ability to kick a ball in a field on June 18th. Playgrounds are still closed. You can't go in the library. But fields are open again. That's been life-changing. I've been making the kids walk, but my oldest son called them the walks to nowhere until fields reopened.

I was only going to get her one gift for her birthday because of her behavior, but I totally understand where you are coming from because I don't know if that is too much of a reward. My mom always gives gifts and this time got clothes for her instead. My mom doesn't want grandma associated with disappointment if the gift is not just right.
You have an HOA for an apartment complex?
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

agander2017 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:52 am
Pjmm wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:12 am
agander2017 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:19 am Yeah, no. She would be lucky if she got anything for her birthday if she's acting like that. She needs to learn to be respectful. And until then, she would be getting socks and underwear for her birthday, and Christmas.

Also, I would not be trying to get her a doll house that we didn't have room for, just so she could do something like this... That's just silly. If she's not going to be happy either way, then why even try?
I would agree except she's in an apartment probably meant for two but five people are there. I would say no to the dollhouse but cut her some slack. She can't even go anywhere. I'd want to kill someone too if i were her. In fact I know- and it's wrong- that I'd tell dh please pull it together. So I can't blame this kid for being whiny.
I have to wonder, if this is new, or if she has been acting this way for awhile. I simply say this because my niece is the same way. She's still in school, has a big yard to play in, and her own room. She's 6. She actually cried and threw a fit at her last birthday party because she didn't get the things she wanted.
No kid should assume they're getting what they want and act like a little brat when they don't. So I'd reprimand any kid for bratty behavior especially if like your niece there doesn't seem to be good reason for it. And I don't think op should get her a dollhouse they have no room for. I'm just saying sometimes a kid has reasons for acting out. And taking that into consideration when appropriate goes a long way. I had to give my kids a few life lessons along the way trust me. The last one was yds complaining about virtual school vs brick school. He hated both options. After I reproved him I thought hell if I was 17 and worried about covid-19 I think I'd complain too. Can't blame the kid it sucks no matter what he does.
Locked Previous topicNext topic