How were you disciplined growing up?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Vs how were/are your kids disciplined?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

My dad would spank us with a belt. To this day I can't handle hearing a belt snap.
My mom would send us to our rooms.
I usually give my kids chores.
Mamaof5
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Depends on the parent that did the disciplining. My mother was strict and la chancla was her good friend. My sister and I got our fair share of groundings and such as well.

We try to avoid punishments with the kids. We want them to learn from their mistakes, instead of being afraid of punishment. We use natural consequences, logical consequences, whenever possible. Sometimes time outs (though we usually do time ins), removal of privileges, etc., are necessary. For our toddlers, it’s mostly all redirection
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I really wasn't and neither are our kids. I was a people pleaser as are our kids which actually has some negatives.

My husband was beaten as a kid and left home at 16 because of it.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

We were spanked -- a lot. Oh and we endured hours long 'lectures' which was basically being chewed out for the current infraction as well as ones already done and punished for. My daughter got re-directed when she was little and time outs. When she was older she lost privileges.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

My parents were very strict.

I don't discipline my kids.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

My parents used guilt.
I do not.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I wasn't really disciplined much and for most of my childhood didn't really need it. My mom would maybe yell out of reaction at first, depending on what the infraction was. But otherwise she just needed to talk to me about what I did wrong and why. She even filled out the school forms that way too when teachers asked what discipline works best with your child - "just explain to her what she did wrong and why".

For the most part we've tried to do the same with our kids. Talk to them and let them have natural consequences. Let them learn from their mistakes. Also model the behavior that we want out of them. We tried taking things away for a period of time but it never seemed to work. We never tried grounding because they are mostly at home anyway. Never ever spanked. They're 13 and 15 now and they may get an attitude now and then but generally we just remind them that they have attitude and they apologize and drop it. We also let them have their emotions which I think is important. If he's angry in the moment, now is not the time to push a lesson or discipline. I let him go to his room to cool off and then we can talk about it later. There's no point in making it a battle.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Very rarely happened.

German kids are usually kicked out the door by the time they can walk so a lot of the time there’s no one around to discipline you. We learned by experience, where as here you learn by being taught.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Hot4Tchr-Bieg
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Inconsistently, and sometimes illogically. Oh, and often with lack of appropriate follow through.
Don't text while driving. Don''t text while stopped at stop signs and traffic lights. You're not a four year old...exercise some self-control.
Locked Previous topicNext topic