Mental illness turning into a fad?

Anonymous 7

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:07 am Well sure it is, these teens are just following what adults have been doing for quite a while now. Adults seem to need the online attention & tell everyone what their mental problem is.

How many mom confessions members have said how they have depression, or they are introverted or extroverted. Lol
Introverted and extroverted are not mental disorders. They are personality traits... WTF?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:25 am I do agree that there are many people who put things on social media simply as a means to say, "Hey! Look at me!" But I also don't think that every person who states that they suffer from depression, are introverted, or are extroverted is divulging that to get attention.

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:07 am Well sure it is, these teens are just following what adults have been doing for quite a while now. Adults seem to need the online attention & tell everyone what their mental problem is.

How many mom confessions members have said how they have depression, or they are introverted or extroverted. Lol
Where did I say the words EVERY PERSON?
Anonymous 7

Unread post

It is sad that now teens have been roped into this mess, and soon you will see more children doing the same thing. Talking about how many mental disorders they have on top of the various medications they have to take every day. This it's what pharmaceutical companies hand been gunning for all along. Big business, big bucks.

I'm not discrediting mental disorders, but I'm willing to stake my life on the fact that more than half of these people do not have a mental disorder. But doctors pander to these companies and to the patients who want a quick pick me up... So, there you have it. Now we have legal teen drug addicts just like their parents. Soon to be drug addict 9 yo space cadets as well. SMH.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:52 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:53 am I find it really hard to believe that someone experiencing a panic attack can actually log on to a social site to film it. I've seen my daughter have a full blown panic attack, it's like she's frozen and cannot move. And I'm not well versed in DID but I thought that was really rare.
The panic attack moments that I’ve seen were clearly staged down to the propped phone and lighting. The times I’ve had panic attacks I wasn’t in the right mind to set up a video session it’s literally a flight or fight moment not a oooh I can feel it coming better break out the phone and check the lighting.
That's exactly what I'm sayin'! I know it's not something my daughter could do either. When it's a really bad one, she tunes everything out.

I will say anxiety and giftedness seem to go hand in hand, kinda like schizophrenia or mania and highly creative people. Like famous artists and actors have suffered from mental illness too like Van Gogh and Patty Duke, the actress suffered from schizophrenia and bipolar. My daughter's high school was full of gifted kids that suffered from anxiety. Almost all her friends there either had ADHD or anxiety or both. So while I don't think it is a fad, it is being addressed and treated more and becoming destigmatized. Which is a good thing.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:49 pm
Anonymous 6 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:36 pm Definitely my son was diagnosed with spd (not by me I didn't even know about it) and some of the groups on Facebook people were bouncing from place to place desperate to get a diagnosis because normal things that make people cringe bother them (ie nails on a chalkboard type stuff). I also saw a lot of people asking how they could get a diagnosis for their unborn baby.
I always feel like I have to clarify that my ds was diagnosed with autism, adhd, spd, and anxiety by a medical professional because of these crazy people.
Wait what? They want their unborn child diagnosed? How would that work?
I have no idea.
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

...being introverted or extroverted is not a mental illness. Literally every single person on the planet falls somewhere on that spectrum.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don't see it as a fad. We see more of it now because it's becoming a much less taboo subject thanks to those with mental health issues speaking out.

There will always be teenagers who fake something like DID for a time because they have a need to validation (and probably have different mental health issues that need to be treated). My daughter has taped a panic attack she's having to be used in training for one of our local organizations. You can usually feel one coming on.

When I was growing up we were told to hide our depression and anxiety and try as hard as we could to pretend to be normal. Now we have reduced that stigma and teenagers and adults are speaking out. More teens are also getting the help they need due to doctors actually giving a diagnosis.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:52 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:53 am I find it really hard to believe that someone experiencing a panic attack can actually log on to a social site to film it. I've seen my daughter have a full blown panic attack, it's like she's frozen and cannot move. And I'm not well versed in DID but I thought that was really rare.
The panic attack moments that I’ve seen were clearly staged down to the propped phone and lighting. The times I’ve had panic attacks I wasn’t in the right mind to set up a video session it’s literally a flight or fight moment not a oooh I can feel it coming better break out the phone and check the lighting.
Everyone is different. I used to film my panic attacks because I wouldn't remember what happened during them. I had no issue filming them.
lauren08
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Dissociative identity disorder is actually quite rare. As for a "fad," there will always be those who fake things for attention. Making a mockery of mental illness, however, is quite disturbing IMO, as there are many who suffer greatly from various mental illnesses. My older teens have TikTok as well as other social media, as is typical for their age group, but I don't allow my youngest (who is 11) to have an account yet.
Locked Previous topicNext topic