I lost my job because I helped my DD when she had a baby

Anonymous 1

Unread post

DD just had her second child. She needed me to watch her older child while she was in the hospital and having the baby. I told my manager a couple of months ago knowing that this would be an issue with the whole pandemic. The manager said it shouldn't be a problem for me to just call in so that's exactly what I did. My daughter went into labor 4.5 weeks early so is a little sooner than expected.

Now my manager and the schedule are mad because I called in for 3 days. They said that I should have found someone to cover my shift and that I can't use my PTO. I don't care about not using my PTO that's not a big issue but they never told me I needed to cover my shift before now. it is not official policy and it is not anywhere in the employee handbook or in my job contract.

They told me that since I called in for 3 days and didn't have anyone to cover my shift they were going to have to let me go. t
They also told me that I should have planned better and told them more in advance. I had called in 12 hours before my shift when my DD want until labor. I'm not sure exactly how they expect me to plan better. I feel very torn on this. On one hand I did love my job but on the other hand it's clear now that they are a really shity company that wants to f**k people over. I guess now I get to have a nice break from working.
Yoloo
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Damn that sucks. It's good that you know what the company is like now and you can move on with your life.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Is this a company with 50 or more employees? You might qualify for Family and Medical Leave. And the fact that the company didn't offer it to you and now wants to fire you, means you probably have grounds to file a complaint.

https://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/elg/fmla.htm
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Yea it sounds like you might have a wrongful termination law suit on your hands.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

If you're working for a company that offers Family and Medical Leave, it can be used for:

1. Birth and care of the employee's child, within one year of birth or
2. The care of an immediate family member (spouse, child, parent) who has a serious health condition
Locked Previous topicNext topic